MangaGamer 2020 Licensing Survey

Mr Poltroon

20 minutes ago, Formlose Gestalt said:

I really hope that is not the case, because among the answers for the " What types of visual novel would you most like to see more of? " is not a single answer that I really fit what I want to see, but I already suggested them to introduce more answers. I hope that they look what is being suggested with the titles and try to find titles along those lines if they are unable to license the suggested titles.

To some extent is absolutely has to be the case, because there's too much going into licensing decisions outside of the demand from your core audience: what's the cost of the license, whether the developer even want to sell it to you, how expensive the localisation project itself would be, would the game have any appeal outside of the people that fill those surveys (i. e. most dedicated VN audience). Plus outside those few mass-requested franchises (which are not happening anyway for the reasons I've mentioned already, or, like Evenicle 2, are going to happen no matter if people request it in the survey) I imagine the votes are too spread out to say to MG "oh, this will definitely sell!". I always thought about those as a "pool of ideas" and general sentiments the company can use, it's probably not realistic to expect them to matter that much.

6 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

To some extent is absolutely has to be the case, because there's too much going into licensing decisions outside of the demand from your core audience: what's the cost of the license, whether the developer even want to sell it to you, how expensive the localisation project itself would be, would the game have any appeal outside of the people that fill those surveys (i. e. most dedicated VN audience). Plus outside those few mass-requested franchises (which are not happening anyway for the reasons I've mentioned already, or, like Evenicle 2, are going to happen no matter if people request it in the survey) I imagine the votes are too spread out to say to MG "oh, this will definitely sell!". I always thought about those as a "pool of ideas" and general sentiments the company can use, it's probably not realistic to expect them to matter that much.

If the "What types of visual novel would you most like to see more of?" question has more weight and the presented answers are representative of what Mangagamer thinks people want it's a catastrophic outlook for me personally. But what ever.

But in the end I couldn't agree more with you on the rest of your post, there are too many factors involved with the licensing process, some of which you already mentioned. One I thing I found interesting is that on the Mangagamer Discord people where encouraged to explain why they want certain titles translated to convince a staff member of that title so that she/he can argue for the title internally. I guess having a staff member that is actually interested in working on a title is actually a factor that shouldn't be underestimated, besides all the business decision going into it. Because for example who ever get's to translate the game in the end has to spend months working on it and staying motivated. In another industry where the pay is better, that could be compensate for that, but in the VN industry is still (at least in part) driven by passion.

Besides that I think the license survey is also at least partly a form of community engagement. Sure they get some data and suggestions, but the people also look forward to that and talk about it and Mangagamer as a extension.

• 2 weeks later...

The survey here is already closed, and for formality I vote Venus Blood Hypno, Suzukaze no Melt, and Mashiro Iro Symphony as my wishlist here. I know that it's impossible for them to localized those three (And possibly most of requested title such as Fate (It's a redundant one anyway) and White Album 2) seeing that they have their own policies and secrets, but it's not hurt to join the fun I guess.

PS - It's too bad that Mangagamer can't attend newest convention because of Corona, so it can't be helped there.

Edited by littleshogun

I know that Ninetail work together with JAST, but seeing Purple Software and Innocent Grey trend I think it's not impossible if Mangagamer somehow manage to get Hypno's license. Beside like I say it's just for formality, so I'm not exactly expect them to license it anyway (I won't deny that I have a slight hope for the license though).

• 4 weeks later...

DAMN IT!

I missed my chance to ask for Amatsutsumi and Fraternite and Kanzen Osu Dorei

Ugh!

I stand by it! I want these damn novels in english as much as an official english release of Fate.

Is there really no way at all we can organize a group of People to agree on 1 title at the very least? And then do the same every survey. Is a lot closer to everyones goal.. Whats the damn point in voting if none of us wins..........

14 minutes ago, projectfear22 said:

DAMN IT!

Ugh!

I stand by it! I want these damn novels in english as much as an official english release of Fate.

Is there really no way at all we can organize a group of People to agree on 1 title at the very least? And then do the same every survey. Is a lot closer to everyones goal.. Whats the damn point in voting if none of us wins..........

You can contact them in their Discord channel. There, there is a tab for licensing recommendations.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:41 AM, projectfear22 said:

DAMN IT!

Ugh!

Well if you following the VN news you should know that Amatsutsumi already licensed by Sekai, so the chance that Mangagamer will try to license it is very low as of now (I'm more curious though on how far that Sekai did translate Amatsutsumi here). For Fraternite, well not my type of VN here so I'm not lost much if this is not licensed by Mangagamer (If should be possible to license though seeing that it's Clock Up VN in which it's Mangagamer's partner). For Kanzen Osu Dorei, another nukige so I wouldn't lost much on it but if Mangagamer want to license it then good for them.

I think there's no way that you can organize group of people to agree on one title, because it's too bothersome and a lot of people would likely to vote their choice. Besides it would be rude though if you ask many people to agree on one of your suggestion, and I'm sure that some people would like put off to Fraternite in which it's one of your suggestion. On the other hand, you'll be forced to follow everyone choice if your suggestion was accepted and I'm sure you wouldn't like it if you for example didn't like Koi wa Naku and everyone decided to vote for Koi wa Naku because it's the majority in the group that you gather. So to put it bluntly it's impossible to do, and Mangagamer probably will take the poll as suggestion anyway so just treat the poll as formality and don't expect much here (I understand though if you thought that Mangagamer will follow your suggestion if you did vote earlier).

Edited by littleshogun

On 14. 04. 2020. at 4:44 PM, littleshogun said:

On the other hand, you'll be forced to follow everyone choice if your suggestion was accepted

But.. this is the whole point of my post.

I want us (players) to be like that.

We have 3 spots.

A lot of people fill those 3 spots for themselves, all of the three. In turn they get none of the 3 even close to a top 10.

What's so hard about getting a group of people together to pick 1 choice they usually wouldn't for say 2021 and then pick another choice of another user for 2022 and another for 2023, until at least the top 1's of each user were suggested (depending on the group of people sacrifices would be made as well as compromises but it's achievable).

I'm all for suggesting even a gay novel, if it means i get even a tad bit closer to my choice on some of the next surveys.

It's trade. 

Also i didnt know about sekai licensing it. Lets hope all ends well.. 

4 hours ago, projectfear22 said:

What's so hard about getting a group of people together to pick 1 choice they usually wouldn't for say 2021 and then pick another choice of another user for 2022 and another for 2023, until at least the top 1's of each user were suggested (depending on the group of people sacrifices would be made as well as compromises but it's achievable).

There's saying that actions speak louder than words, so perhaps you may as well try to do that by yourself and see whether your action can achieve that easily or not.

• 4 months later...

Here's the result of Mangagamer survey 2020, even though it's quite unusual that they used Twitter to announce it and that they play the game before revealing all of the result.

Not much change from the last year I suppose, and in the end I think Mangagamer already decided on what they want to license (More so if we look at the leak) so I guess I can say that this survey is more or less just formality.

PS - Turned out that my wish for seeing Hypno being localized is come true, although of course Ninetail was the one who in charge of that.

Edited by littleshogun

12 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Here's the result of Mangagamer survey 2020, even though it's quite unusual that they used Twitter to announce it and that they play the game before revealing all of the result.

Not much change from the last year I suppose, and in the end I think Mangagamer already decided on what they want to license (More so if we look at the leak) so I guess I can say that this survey is more or less just formality.

PS - Turned out that my wish for seeing Hypno being localized is come true, although of course Ninetail was the one who in charge of that.

why do you label 07th's games as redundant?

As for the reason why, it's because both of them already have translation and I prefer Mangagamer to focus on the new untranslated VNs. But if they vote it just because they want to buy it on Steam thanks to (Usually) cheap region pricing, it's fine I guess. Not that it change my opinion though that it'll be redundant announcement if Mangagamer announced Higanbana and Rose Guns Days later.

Anyway Mangagamer did make the blogpost in regard of survey result, so you can read it below if you prefer to know it from Mangagamer official site. Or if you want to know the circumstance behind the survey.

Mangagamer 2020 Licensing Survey Results

10 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

also people suggesting already translated vn.. but why??

I'd say there are two reasons:

1. Some translations are actually pretty bad. I mean, I wouldn't mind finally rereading Fate if it actually got a new translation. The problem here is that it never will, and if it does, it won't be done by MG.

2. Some people just want a way to get a way to support a novel they like officially. Not everyone is comfortable buying games on Japanese websites. Especially since many games don't even have download editions, so you have to import a physical copy, which leads to many different problems. And some older games, especially by smaller publishers, are often not available at all. I tried to look for a way to buy Rose Guns Days, but I was out of luck.

Well after my searching for Rose Guns Days, I guess it's only natural that the voters only want to get the download edition seeing that both of Mandrake and Rakuten only sell physical edition, and it can be a hassle if someone want to import it. That said, my opinion won't change though in that the announcement would be redundant if it happen, but at least I understand if the voters want to support the developer by using the easiest way (ie buy the download version) with the situation that currently no store sell Rose Gun Days download edition. So yeah hopefully Mangagamer can announce Rose Gun Days and Higanbana, if only for the sake of people who want to support the developer by buying the download edition.

For Fate translation, I think it's fine although it's created at 2008 though so by today standard it might be not quite good. That said, even game with bad translation can stand out as the best game, such as FF7 and Suikoden 2. Also when it come to translation, I would say that it's more in regard of choice as shown in several posts that I saw. And what I can say is that even if the translation of a VN is very good, nothing can save the VN if the story is very bad from the start. So yes I'll treat Fate announcement as redundant if it happen, and it's only possible when FGO finally bankrupt and they have no choice but localize their VNs starting from Fate without voice (Which to say almost impossible as of now seeing that most players didn't mind to spent several thousands dollars on FGO if it mean that they can get a team full of their favorite heroines or like to gambling in the first place). For the reminder, Fate Stay Night VAs are quite expensive seeing that some of them are well-known in anime, so obviously the voice licensing would cause more headache compared to Majikoi (Which already caused headache to JAST).

Edited by littleshogun

Hmm... I see no point participating in their so called "Licensing Survey Sideshow" as they just mostly at best ignore the voices of the people since Mangagamer Hate Their Own Fans :reeee:

Why do they even bother keeping with the illusion that they care about their fans by having them take part in these surveys of sorts. :amane:

Also I'm not so sure whether we can see other Rance games since Arunaru left magangamer. His reason behind leaving the company reveals enough what kind of company Mangagamer really is. :holo:

And they say JAST USA was bad lol... :sacchan:

Edited by Templarseeker

14 hours ago, Templarseeker said:

Hmm... I see no point participating in their so called "Licensing Survey Sideshow" as they just mostly at best ignore the voices of the people since Mangagamer Hate Their Own Fans :reeee:

Why do they even bother keeping with the illusion that they care about their fans by having them take part in these surveys of sorts. :amane:

Also I'm not so sure whether we can see other Rance games since Arunaru left magangamer. His reason behind leaving the company reveals enough what kind of company Mangagamer really is. :holo:

And they say JAST USA was bad lol... :sacchan:

Well like I said I treat the survey as formality, so the staffs of course think the same way as me here. Although initially it usage was to determine which franchise that they should take from the fans, nowadays I think it's more or less their habit considering that they should already have set of licenses that either already worked on or already in the process to take on. Another reason on why the survey is still important here would be they want to do some survey on newer VN players, which to say would likely to increase especially if we know that Mangagamer got more exposure thanks to Steam (Regardless on Bokuten's scandal in that it's caused by Valve suddenly have an urge to check the game file and turned out that there's still some 18+ CG left in Steam version).

As for the scandal, like I said it's probably caused not by someone who have a sense of justice to reveal their inner working for the sake of the fans, but rather to get revenge because the leaker was probably have some grudge or didn't like on how the system in Mangagamer is going (Remember that no one can access staffs discussion easily unless they're one of the member that allowed to access it, so basically it's private matter only to the staffs). So it's more than possible that the leaker is one of the former staffs, and it's not limited to Arunaru even though his motive is the most obvious as of now. And yes I know that OAG did show some discussion from general channel in that it's accessible for public, although my point still remain though in that the discussion is more or less private matter.

JAST, well if by good it mean that the company should release one VN per month just like Mangagamer did then yeah JAST is a bad company in regard of VN publishing lol. That said, they piled up more well known licenses such as Sumaga and Muramasa so I can see on where the infamy come from. They recently improved though with their releases in this year (Kimikoi and Flowers Autumn), although it's still not quite enough to rival even Sekai or Nekonyan in number of releases (At least JAST release number can rival Sol Press if anything else). In the end, whether JAST is bad or good is up to each of their own, although if you thought that JAST is good because it license your favorite VN such as Eiyuu Senki or Saya no Uta then it's okay.

Lastly I won't say that OAG here is a reliable source seeing that they like to use controversy to get some view and they already infamous along with their news are very subjective (Some of those), but I guess there's no much media that want to discuss the detail behind Mangagamer discord leak very much other than OAG.

Edited by littleshogun