What are your otaku/gamer/reader dreams for the next decade?

Clephas

Essentially, since @mitchhamilton made a thread covering what was best in entertainment (Japanese entertainment especially) media in the last decade, I thought I'd set out my dream results here.

Gaming Interface: True VR through either some kind of implant tech or through the use of a haptic suit of some sort (yes, I hate today's incomplete VR with a passion). 

Anime: Sequels for all the junk-food isekai anime left incomplete over the last six years (and that's a LOT of anime)

Reading: I'd like to see a satisfying conclusion at least to the current (Mesan conspiracy) arc of Honor Harrington.  While the last entry in the series was godly, it still doesn't conclude the most important thread.

VNs: I'd like to see the rise of more plotge-specializing companies in JVNs and hopefully a new chuunige company to replace the loss of Light (if it doesn't end up lending its name as a subsidiary of Akabeisoft)

General Gaming: I know this will probably make me sound like an old fogey... but I'd like to see less focus on expanding multiplayer to ridiculous levels in gaming in general.  I wouldn't mind so much if people would stop feeding back multiplayer gameplay styles into solo gaming, which has been a trend for almost fifteen years now.  I'm really disgusted when I see MMO-style skill hot buttons in a solo rpg, and I hate it when there is no pause function in an action game.  Moreover, I seriously despise it when people insist on gluing on random multiplayer BS into games that function perfectly fine without it.

Steam being a more reliable platform for otaku media.

Streaming services for anime not being completely useless in my region (Eastern Europe).

That's pretty much it. I don't have many complaints with how things were the last decade, to be honest. I guess the AAA gaming market was a massive shitshow, but I don't think I care at this point. Most of the stuff I still have any kind of emotional connection to is indie, or old enough that it came out before the unreasonable monetisation and other mainstream-publisher abominations came to be. *shrug*

Gaming: I hope PC to play a bigger role for games from the jap. region, aside from VNs too as I try to get away from consoles again. At the AAA market I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I would hope for Live service and MP-focus in formerly SP-focused games to completely disappear if that were realistic.

Anime: More complete stories would be nice....

VN: I really miss big, VNs with a "heavy" story (I can't find a better term). There still are good ones, but somehow I get the feeling that most of them are currently too short and/or shallow. I hope that changes at some point.

The English TL of Sumaga.  I'm sure it'll come out any day now.

Joking aside, what I'd really like to see is more/better/more accessible VN merch.  I personally want to see more available wallscrolls and maybe even some figurines because the few of those I can find for novels I like tend to be fanservicey trash.

7 hours ago, Clephas said:

Gaming Interface: True VR through either some kind of implant tech or through the use of a haptic suit of some sort (yes, I hate today's incomplete VR with a passion). 

That's pretty unrealistic right now, but yeah, it would be great if something like that was made in our lifetime. I tried a modern VR headset once, and it was cool, but it's yet way too far from  the point where I'd even consider it a proper VR.

As for VNs, I just hope that plotge don't completely die out (I don't particularly care about moege), and we still have enough new games to keep us entertained.

3 hours ago, tahu157 said:

Are those books good? I've tried to read Basilisk Station like 3 times but I always stall out.

On topic: I'd like to see localization companies stop making discretionary edits to "problematic" content.

Yes.  The books get better as you go along.  I didn't have a problem with Basilisk station though...

who dares summon me unto this mortal plain? :tears:

my otaku dream is to be able to fully read japanese without the assistance of a machine translator.

for gaming RELEASE CYBERPUNK ALREADY! :reeee: really though, its for things to not go fully digital with games. its not just cause im a fuddy duddy but because with digital games you have less ownership rights to them. you could have your sony, steam, microsoft account ban or suspended for whatever reason and that means not having access to games linked to your account. games you spent years collecting to get. also cross play i think is gonna become a more traditional thing which im looking forward to.

Now this is a good ass question

Gaming Interface:

Anime: Can they please finish Black Lagoon? I miss the days of having darker anime. Nowadays, we are in a moe wave. I want more experimental OVAs to come out to push the medium forward. Furthermore, More studios on Pateron.

Reading: More JVNs that are avant-garde, heavy philosophical and don't have to sell a shit ton of sex scenes.

General Gaming: I don't really know. I do like JRPGs, but I don't play enough to have a solid opinion. Soo I am a loss for words.

• 1 month later...

Gaming: Finding the time to play more of the Legend of Heroes Kiseki series, that Tsukihime remake actually happens and Suikoden comes back (and not as microtransaction phone game or pachinko machine like Konami is likely to do), an HD port of the Super Robot Wars OG games and the Z series that gets an English release (and yes, I'm aware of Harmony Gold don't spoil the dream :().

Anime: Second seasons for Baccano!, The Devil is a Part Timer, Gabriel Dropout, Hinamatasuri, Outlaw Star and Mazinger Edition Z. A new Getter Robo anime, the rest of Full Metal Panic gets adapted, a Trigun Maximum anime and a Crossbone Gundam anime.

VNs: Lune's games get localized, more Akabesoft2/Akatasuki Works games get localized

Reading: Aside from hoping to read the last two Song of Ice and Fire books I hope my favorite LN series: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom stays good till whenever it concludes.

• 1 month later...