This is a hot-button topic among many people, but I want to hear your thoughts on this subject. There's no beating around the bush with this one, but I'll point out the elephant in the room. Fuwanovel is a site for piracy. Now before people start attacking me, let me make one thing perfectly clear. I am a strong supporter of piracy, and fully support this site. With that out of the way, let's move on to the actual topic.

I'm starting this thread because as I use the Internet more each day, I think about how much I owe to it for giving many of the games and movies that I've ever looked at. A majority of the albums in my digital music library and the majority of the films that I watch nowadays come from The Pirate Bay and other torrent/download sites. Many of the visual novels I've ever read I downloaded from Fuwanovel and other places. But why exactly do I defend piracy besides the fact that it gives people free stuff that they'd normally have to pay for? Simple. Because it's completely harmless.

We live in an age where everything is digital and a copy of anything can be made for virtually nothing. The argument that I've often heard against piracy is the whole "stealing a car from the lot" analogy. There's a big difference between stealing a car and downloading a copyrighted work for free. A car is made out of physical parts and part of processes that each cost money to collect, build, assemble, and ship out. A digital download on the other hand contains no such thing. It's simply a COPY of a work that was created once. 

Another argument against piracy that I've heard is that it "hurts the audience." In my opinion, this is one of the weakest excuses I've ever heard. Let's take the Avengers for example. It was the highest grossing film of 2012 making of $1 billion. Now tell me, do you think that if a few thousand people pirate the movie online that Joss Whedon, Marvel, or Disney will go out of business? They're filthy rich and aren't losing money. They're MAKING money. And if you want more proof that Hollywood isn't leaving anytime soon, then simply look at the recession. During that brief time period where we thought that America would have another Great Depression, Hollywood lost the LEAST amount of jobs. The movie, music, and video games industry are all worth billions of dollars and still going strong. Piracy can't even make a dent in that.

Piracy actually helps SPREAD the word of products. For instance, if I pirated an album from a certain band and I like them; what's stopping me from going to one of their concerts? You can't pirate a real live performance. Nor can you pirate merchandise such as T-shirts and other collectables. To begin with, big music artists see little money from their own albums since the majority of the profits go to the record labels.

If you still think that piracy is so bad, I'm willing to bet that you're guilty of it but don't realize it. If you've ever borrowed anything like a movie, book, or video game from a friend you've pirated it. If you've ever checked out anything at your local library, you my friend, are a pirate. Did you pay for the copyrighted work? No. Are you viewing/reading/playing the entire thing to completion? Yes. What if you decide to use perfectly legal software like iTunes to rip tracks from a CD that you borrowed? How is that piracy if iTunes, a major company that ironically was made to PREVENT piracy, officially sanctions? How exactly is checking out a movie from the library and returning it any different than downloading the same movie off of Pirate Bay and then deleting it off your hard drive once you've finished it?

There is something that I do have to address though when it comes to piracy: indie developers. If you're an indie film maker, indie game designer, or indie music artist; then piracy might have a bigger effect on you. For instance, if one guy made a super popular game but a majority of people pirated it, then he will likely lose a lot of money since he's the sole owner of the intellectual property. It isn't like Warner Bros. or Activision where there's tons of other factors involved. So if you can, you should probably do your best to support small teams by buying their products. And if you can't afford them, try waiting for great deals on Steam or giving them donations.

This post is quickly becoming longer than I expected, by I hope you've got the point across.

TL;DR: Piracy is perfectly fine, and is a perfectly harmless way to experience media. With a few exceptions, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

What are your thoughts?

This is a "this is why we can't have nice things" subject to me. I'm pro-piracy and a proud pirate but sometimes I wonder what other people's train of thought is on this, like people are entitled to what they steal. I own games, anime, merchandise, just miscellaneous stuff that I would've never bought if it wasn't for piracy.

Anime started with Limewire for me, when I got a Newtype-USA magazine from a friend and it previewed a show called Angelic Layer. I had no clue if it was localized or not or what the deal even was, it was all so new to me. One search later, I have essentially 'stolen' the first 8 episodes of the series and since then I've never looked back. Does this make me a pirate? Yes. I also bought the first release of the series from ADV Films (when they were a thing), bought many other series produced by them, as well as things developed by Clamp and got heavily into anime in general. Let's go back to if I stole or not. Without that bridge, these companies wouldn't have gotten my hundreds of dollars. Did it hurt or help the company? I think there are gains for a company in piracy as long as people who do so have morals in line with everyone else. Rewrite should be at my door any day now, and this is due to getting to pirate it first.

I'm a big believer in supporting... well... what you believe in. I want to have the things I love and I want them to last. I preorder from NISAmerica because I support them as a company, import visual novels and am just flooded with card sleeves, dakimakuras, posters, magazines, you name it, I buy it. Then comes why we can't have nice things. People who pirate for the sake of not paying for something they would otherwise have bought is just unfortunate. Okay, maybe you have no money and you wouldn't import stuff anyways, I get that, I really do. There's really a line that people love to dance though, hopping back and forth by justifying, "I don't have the money for it." one day and saying, "it doesn't hurt, I'm just one person." the next.

I have no black or white opinion on this, all I can say is this is why we can't have nice things.

This was discussed extensively before on various occasions and I'm too lazy to write my thoughts on it again or to search for a thread were I said them before.

Anyway, everyone is writing those long texts so I'm going with something more simple- Yeah, I support piracy. Yes, it is selfish. I just want to have everything that I want for the lowest price possible- If said price is 0, great. Sometimes I actually buy VNs and such though. And that's also for my own sake, since that encourages releases of similar VNs. My thoughts are mostly focused on any possible benefit that will have to me.

This is it. BTW, my missiles are pirated :ph34r:

Tabane.gif

1. I think maybe you're talking about copyright infringement not piracy.

In piracy, you hijack someone's goods and then sell them as your own.  Like they did with anime and other TV shows in Hong Kong

2. I can understand people downloading hard-to-acquire Japanese import media especially those that need to be fan translated before they're even useable.  But not the localized stuff.  The following is U.S. specific but you know what I mean:  What I don't get is people downloading region one anime or localized games that they could go right into Wal-Mart or Amazon and buy for a reasonable price.   

Why is it so hard to understand that free culture is but a mere utopia? Just like ^ just said, if at some point you don't inject money back into the circuit, you can't have nice things. 

And it's not a question of "let's not support those evil big companies", especially if you're arguing that indie developers should be paid right after that. How does the fact that they're making money makes it right to pirate, exactly? People invest fucktons of millions of dollars in order to produce those blockbusters. They are actually also taking risks, just like your small indie developer does when he bets his money into his own project. Scales being different doesn't change anything. 

Piracy DOES have an effect. Of course the amount of loss isn't equal to the amount of pirated copies but the loss is there. 

You like something? Pay for it. Reward the artist. Don't make excuses like "yeah but he's rich", "yeah but most of the money goes to the company behind him" or whatever.

I shamelessly pirate stuff but I don't pretend that I'm perfectly right in doing so. And most of my spare money goes into buying books/games/DVDs I like. 

Oh, and:

How exactly is checking out a movie from the library and returning it any different than downloading the same movie off of Pirate Bay and then deleting it off your hard drive once you've finished it?

Your library is paying a license in order to legally do that. That's the difference.

The only issue I have with it, is how it affects a developer's, producer's, programmer's (etc.) income when someone pirates a piece of intellectual property.  In the event of mass-piracy of any digital good, the responses are either court suits, a massive increase in the price of said good so that whenever they sell something it will hopefully offset the massive loss from the pirates.  

I will have to both agree and disagree that piracy helps spread the knowledge of said products.  In the event someone downloads something for absolutely no cost, the possibility of this person buying something similar in the future is increased and decreased if they enjoyed it/found it useful or hated it/found no use out of it respectively.  But there is also the even higher chance of said person pirating even more in the future, or more often than not at the very least.

Reasons such as film studios, Disney and other similar businesses continue to make money even though there is MASSIVE piracy of their products, is because they have other sources of revenue, not just movies.  They have merchandise, services, ABSURD amounts of advertisement revenue.

The same situation applies to the music industry, where music is not the only source of revenue for the artists.  Merchandise, live performances, advertisement revenue, and in some cases the artists will sell of their own belongings or sign something and sell it off for a large number if they were an extremely famous person/group (I for instance have a 1998 Gibson Flying-V signed by Kirk Hammett, the lead guitarist of Metallica, I can sell it off for at least 10 grand if I so desired).

Towards my opinion however, piracy is indeed good MOST OF THE TIME, NOT ALL OF THE TIME.  Piracy does do what you say, and spreads the word of intellectual property, but when said property is what makes up more than 90% of a company's income, it is a HORRIBLE THING.

Take for example, Microsoft.  Microsoft Windows is one of the most pirated pieces of software on the planet right now, along with Microsoft Office elements.  The other sources of revenue Microsoft has is:  Skype, Windows Live, Server leases, Online Services, Devices (hardware/peripherals), Entertainment (Xbox).  Office + Windows make up most of Microsoft's revenue, and are heavily pirated today.  The reason they still make absurd amounts of money from them is because of standard price increases to match their losses (THIS IS NOT INFLATION;  Inflation is only occurred when the value of currency drops).

I'll end this by once again saying that piracy is a good thing MOST OF THE TIME, but it is not good ALL OF THE TIME.

All economic report data for Microsoft was found on the Microsoft Annual Report for the year 2012.  Specific details were found under the MD&A (Management's Discussion and Analysis) of the financial overview.

@Zoom

For the record:

"Piracy - he unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work."

While we're getting specific is all, nothing physical needs to be 'taken'. Either or, selling pirated goods causes a company to lose sales... you pirating something causes the company to lose a potential sale. A ton of these companies aren't swimming in money either. Look at Hiramek- oh wait.

The game companies that do actually go bankrupt don't do it because piracy is affecting their sales. It's usually because of poor business decisions or the games just aren't popular enough. No big company has ever gone out of business solely due to piracy. I can't even think of a company that folded with piracy even being part of it.

By the way, I'd like to point out that most used sales of items don't go to the companies. I purchased used copies of two Lupin III anime box sets for a complete steal. Funimation isn't going to get that money since I got it at an independent second hand store. Another example is NES games. Do you think Nintendo is going to get any money from a $3 copy of Super Mario Bros.? That's also why I view emulation as perfectly fine.

Also, I couldn't care less about companies like EA since they're pretty much committing high way robbery with their hundreds of micro-transactions.

A fun, divisive, contentious topic to discuss.  Aaaaah.

To say it's completely harmless is naive. That's too simple, too absolute a claim to make about a topic that has so many aspects to it.

When considering the topic, I prefer not to look at the effect to sales at all. To me, it’s a question of entitlement. Even if it was completely harmless, even if it didn’t adversely affect the creators/developers/authors, why should it still be permissible? The individuals/companies/businesses that own the rights to these creative works put them out there on the condition of payment. Through their investments – be it monetary, timely, labor, or a combination of these things, they own the contents of what they’re selling. Even if you wouldn’t have bought it anyway (as in no sale would’ve been lost) that doesn’t grant you the right to view and enjoy what they own the copyright to.

As to if it actually harms anything – be it sales, the creator, the audience, creative motivation, whatever -- I can’t speak knowledgably on it. Gut feeling is that the anti-piracy side oversells the impact and the pro-piracy crowd undersells it. I think it’s silly to say it doesn’t impact a thing, but the weight of that impact is debatable.

That being said, and to now make myself look like a hypocrite: I pirate.

The two biggest drivers of piracy are price and availability. Neither gives you a right to pirate, but they are handy rationalizations. When I was younger, my piracy was motivated by price. I simply wanted to play more games or watch more movies than I could afford. Now, it’s more limited. I pay for every video game I play and movie I watch, but certain things (VNs) aren’t reasonably available. This doesn’t bestow the act any right, but it conditionally lets you side-step the issue and maybe even feel justified. Emphasis once again, it doesn't make it a rightful act.

Another argument against piracy that I've heard is that it "hurts the audience." In my opinion, this is one of the weakest excuses I've ever heard. Let's take the Avengers for example. It was the highest grossing film of 2012 making of $1 billion. Now tell me, do you think that if a few thousand people pirate the movie online that Joss Whedon, Marvel, or Disney will go out of business? They're filthy rich and aren't losing money. They're MAKING money. And if you want more proof that Hollywood isn't leaving anytime soon, then simply look at the recession. During that brief time period where we thought that America would have another Great Depression, Hollywood lost the LEAST amount of jobs. The movie, music, and video games industry are all worth billions of dollars and still going strong. Piracy can't even make a dent in that.

There is something that I do have to address though when it comes to piracy: indie developers. If you're an indie film maker, indie game designer, or indie music artist; then piracy might have a bigger effect on you. For instance, if one guy made a super popular game but a majority of people pirated it, then he will likely lose a lot of money since he's the sole owner of the intellectual property. It isn't like Warner Bros. or Activision where there's tons of other factors involved. So if you can, you should probably do your best to support small teams by buying their products. And if you can't afford them, try waiting for great deals on Steam or giving them donations.

(1) Just cause big business is big and profitable doesn't mean that people have the right to infringe on copyrights or to "stick it to them."

(2) Corporations are entitled to profit from their labor as much as an indie developer. The extent of the harm done doesn't matter.

That being said, I know very little regarding copy right law beyond the business law class required for my degree and that was very cursory. This was mostly just gut-feeling sort of stuff. So if anyone more knowledable can provide a contrary opinion, it'd be cool to read.

Ahh Piracy. In some regards I'm an anti capitalist, specifically when it regards to big business. So I personally see nothing wrong with something that harms big businesses. That confessed, I agree completely about what was said about indie developers and small companies, (such as Jast USA). Small companies and indie developers really do need the purchases, and often they release things for quite affordable prices so there is no real reason to avoid purchase. (I see little wrong with small companies because they really do try to do whats best for their customers, and aren't oppressive/exploitative).

Why exactly should I care if EA loses money (even though they aren't) from piracy? They don't give a damn about you or me. All they want to do is make money, even if that means squeezing every last cent from the customer. I support indie devs because they truly do deserve my money. The games they make are games from real gamers to real gamers. Minecraft for instance would never have existed if it wasn't an indie game. And even if you pirate that game, you're missing out on key features like online.

Why exactly should I care if EA loses money (even though they aren't) from piracy? They don't give a damn about you or me. All they want to do is make money, even if that means squeezing every last cent from the customer.

Not only are they taking advantage of their customers to maximize profits, but big businesses have a tendency to exploit their workers to save every cent as well.

Not only are they taking advantage of their customers to maximize profits, but big businesses have a tendency to exploit their workers to save every cent as well.

Yeah, look at Rockstar and Team Bondi with L.A. Noire. It was an amazing game, but unfortunately many of the employees were treated very poorly over its seven year development period.

Why exactly should I care if EA loses money (even though they aren't) from piracy? They don't give a damn about you or me. All they want to do is make money, even if that means squeezing every last cent from the customer. I support indie devs because they truly do deserve my money. The games they make are games from real gamers to real gamers. Minecraft for instance would never have existed if it wasn't an indie game. And even if you pirate that game, you're missing out on key features like online.

You don't have to give care, nor do you have to buy their product or indulge in all the numerous micro-transactions they offer. If you don't like their business model, you're free to protest it in any way you see fit, but that in itself doesn't justify piracy. It's true that devs are in much more need of support and many are very deserving of it. A handful of my favorite games this year are indie titles. If you choose to actively support indie developers over big name studios, good on you. That doesn't make it 'right' to pirate a game from EA, though. You can, nothing's stopping you really. I've done it too, but both are equally deserving (deserving being about a transaction being made, not about the quality of the games) of your money should you play both of them.

What I guess I'm trying to get at here is: pirate all you want. However, let's try not to rationalize it away as a service to the industry or as if it's a measure of protest. People simply want to consume digital media and they don't want to pay for it.

I've done it too, but both are equally deserving (deserving being about a transaction being made, not about the quality of the games) of your money should you play both of them.

I want my money to go directly to the creators. Not to corporate executives and investors who contribute nothing to the creative process yet end up with the majority of the profit.

I've already done some excessive philosophical thinking on the subject (To the point where, ironically, the themes could probably be used as a VN themselves)

I've come to the conclusion that it's akin to a forced advertising upon the publishers - the work spreads through the internet at an increased rate, and multiple people are able to hear about it.  This, over time, will result in exponentially increased sales over time, based on the quality of the work itself.

However, the one fault in the system is that the collection of sales is delayed - it's easily the best advertising method there is; but it's a risky maneuver that had a delay of collection on the money for the next project.  Yes, the project will gain support, but the issue with most games is that a majority of them use immediate sales to verify the the popularity of a specific franchise or project.  If the immediate sales aren't popular, then the project as a whole is considered unpopular or 'weak', therefore skewing the results unfavorably to another project of the same franchise.  This is the reason for DRM in games - yes they'll take time to crack, but the important part is the immediate sales - after the month or two where the sales have been charted; the DRM has no real purpose.  There's also the issue of smaller businesses which likely need immediate profits or else they go bankrupt.

In short, I have come to a solution.

-The best way to support a franchise is to buy it's product IMMEDIATELY on release.  This goes for books as well - in fact, it goes for every media.  In addition to data, this convinces the markets to stock more of the product; giving the publishers and developers themselves more money.  This is, by far, the best way that a publisher and developer can collect money.

-By continuing this logic, piracy of older games - the amount may vary, some would say 2 months, others would say 6 - does not hurt the publisher much at all.  As a result, these are essentially fair game under all views.  The time it takes for a VN to be fan-translated greatly exceeds this limit, therefore fan-translations of VNs do no harm to the market whatsoever - in fact, it's more akin to overcoming the delay law by delaying the release itself - by the time it's officially released, if ever, the piracy advertising has already run it's course, and the supporters will likely buy it then.

This are the thoughts I've came up with in regards to piracy.

I want my money to go directly to the creators. Not to corporate executives and investors, who contribute nothing to the creative process yet end up with the majority of the profit.

Sure, support creator-runned businesses then. You're free to do that. However, corporations and their stakeholders are the ones assuming the risk of the endeavor in these big companies. They are certainly entitled to make a profit should a title succeed. The creative minds behind triple AAA titles aren't forced into anything you know.

well one thing i know for certain is that in order to combat piracy there is gonna be  tons of free to play games comming and pay to win options.

Ea is rolling out the iron curtain in that regard with all their new titels where you buy the game and can then buy to unlock more crap for online or singelplayer use. We are entering a world where we are gonna have to pay nickel and dimes for indiviual content and there is not gonna exist anything called a complete game soon. 

And so far its working better then expected because they haven't stopped making them...

I've already done some excessive philosophical thinking on the subject (To the point where, ironically, the themes could probably be used as a VN themselves)

I've come to the conclusion that it's akin to a forced advertising upon the publishers - the work spreads through the internet at an increased rate, and multiple people are able to hear about it.  This, over time, will result in exponentially increased sales over time, based on the quality of the work itself.

However, the one fault in the system is that the collection of sales is delayed - it's easily the best advertising method there is; but it's a risky maneuver that had a delay of collection on the money for the next project.  Yes, the project will gain support, but the issue with most games is that a majority of them use immediate sales to verify the the popularity of a specific franchise or project.  If the immediate sales aren't popular, then the project as a whole is considered unpopular or 'weak', therefore skewing the results unfavorably to another project of the same franchise.  This is the reason for DRM in games - yes they'll take time to crack, but the important part is the immediate sales - after the month or two where the sales have been charted; the DRM has no real purpose.  There's also the issue of smaller businesses which likely need immediate profits or else they go bankrupt.

In short, I have come to a solution.

-The best way to support a franchise is to buy it's product IMMEDIATELY on release.  This goes for books as well - in fact, it goes for every media.  In addition to data, this convinces the markets to stock more of the product; giving the publishers and developers themselves more money.  This is, by far, the best way that a publisher and developer can collect money.

-By continuing this logic, piracy of older games - the amount may vary, some would say 2 months, others would say 6 - does not hurt the publisher much at all.  As a result, these are essentially fair game under all views.  The time it takes for a VN to be fan-translated greatly exceeds this limit, therefore fan-translations of VNs do no harm to the market whatsoever - in fact, it's more akin to overcoming the delay law by delaying the release itself - by the time it's officially released, if ever, the piracy advertising has already run it's course, and the supporters will likely buy it then.

This are the thoughts I've came up with in regards to piracy.

Not everyone can afford $60 games. So that defeats the purpose of buying it immediately.

i think that piracy is a great way to spread kultur fast,easy and cheap like the rest off the internet are and i value freedom and culture becasue it's always good to learn new stuff,culture from other people and piracy over P2P have no waste Data don't dirty the land and so on..

and well i buy games if i really like them and want to suppourt the Dev but it's just so hard for me to afford to buy everything i watch and play

i think that piracy is a great way to spread kultur fast,easy and cheap like the rest off the internet are and i value freedom and culture becasue it's always good to learn new stuff,culture from other people and piracy over P2P have no waste Data don't dirty the land and so on..

and well i buy games if i really like them and want to suppourt the Dev but it's just so hard for me to afford to buy everything i watch and play

To save time and effort, I'm just going to pirate your post for my own use. I hope you don't mind. And your opinion is pretty much what I think too anyway.

It's a difficult topic. With how easy it is to obtain digital media, it can be borderline addictive to get as much of you want of something without any real limits. That doesn't happen anywhere else in life, now that I think about it. However, doing so DOES hurt the developers of this media regardless of how you try to justify it. That's where I am conflicted.

Piracy is stealing, no doubt about it. "But you are just making a copy, and..." No. You are taking a copy for free that should have been paid for. If you photocopy a book and distribute the text to all your friends, does this hurt the author? Certainly. If these friends would have purchased the book otherwise, you just eliminated profit for that content creator. Same goes for digital media such as music, movies, games etc. No, you aren't stealing the product, you are stealing the creator's profit. But wait, what if I wouldn't have even bought the product if it wasn't free?

That's where it gets iffy. Personally, I don't have the money to spend on much. I'm a high school junior with a busy schedule and no job. I don't have a real source of income. With piracy, however, I can get all of the VGM music, games and VNs I want, free of charge! If I had happened to have some money, would I have bought all of the stuff I downloaded? Most likely not. I would probably keep my money for something I perceive as more valuable or worth saving for. With piracy, you can get the experience without having to pay, simple as that. For many things, the "experience" is unknown until you actually have it.

For example, Umineko. When I heard the concept, it sounded interesting and wanted to give it a shot, but wasn't overly obssessed with trying it. If I hadn't been able to obtain it for free, I likely would never have tried it. I pirated the Japanese game, patched it, read it, and loved it. I am now a huge fan of 07th Expansion and have even recommended Umi (and Higurashi to a lesser extent) to a couple of my friends. There are obvious benefits and downsides my piracy.

+ They gained a new fan who will probably look into their future works

+ Since I enjoyed their product so much, I spread the word to others and potentially gained them new customers/fans

- 07th did not directly profit from me.

All of that said, I would have to be a proponent of piracy in most cases. If you have plenty of money to spare and you are just pirating out of greed thats a bit different, but for the most part I find it to be justified since many people would find a way to buy the product itself if they truly cared enough. A more personal example would be the DS Pokemon games. I could easily have emulated those. Instead, however, I bought them legitimentaly because I knew they would be good and that GameFreak deserved it.

If you want to say that piracy is stealing, then the library is the biggest culprit of them all. At my library, hundreds, possibly thousands, of people have checked out the same books, movies, CDs, and video games countless times. That's thousands of "lost sales," is it not? Then why is the library still around? If you check out a CD from the library and then use LEGAL software like iTunes to rip it to your computer, aren't you taking part in ILLEGAL action?

Listen pal, I'm a high school junior too. I know what money is and what it's worth. I can't buy everything and piracy accounts for the large majority of films, shows, anime, and PC games that I play. There are thousands of people like me, and none of these companies have EVER gone out of business solely due to piracy.

And you're wrong about 07th not making a profit from you. If you actually got people to play the game, you've ENCOURAGED profit. And because you first played Umineko for free and are now checking out their games, you've also given them your money. Piracy does way more good for the industry than the gray-suits want to tell you.

If you want to say that piracy is stealing, then the library is the biggest culprit of them all. At my library, hundreds, possibly thousands, of people have checked out the same books, movies, CDs, and video games countless times. That's thousands of "lost sales," is it not? Then why is the library still around? If you check out a CD from the library and then use LEGAL software like iTunes to rip it to your computer, aren't you taking part in ILLEGAL action?

Listen pal, I'm a high school junior too. I know what money is and what it's worth. I can't buy everything and piracy accounts for the large majority of films, shows, anime, and PC games that I play. There are thousands of people like me, and none of these companies have EVER gone out of business solely due to piracy.

Libraries lending books is covered under the the first sale doctine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine).

Electronic lending is different (http://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/l-diglib.html).

As to the last point, just cause it's a popular practice and it doesn't sink a company/studio/developer does not a defensible action make.