Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Truth out on Steam

Clephas

While the duology isn't new to people who have a PS4 and played the games, the cruising onto PC on Steam is a big thing for those of you who prefer to do everything with their computer (including me).  A few days ago, these two games, which are very much a treat for those who liked the original game or anime, became available.  

For those who have only watched the Utawarerumono animes (both of them), Mask of Deception covers the same area of the story as the second anime, albeit in more detail with some changes.  My personal opinion of it was that it was great... but I found myself wanting H-scenes about halfway through (too many mimikko and those mischievously erotic twins).  

The second game (Mask of Truth/Futari no Hakuoro) is considerably more serious than the first from the beginning until the end.  As such, it provides quite a different experience.  For those who were annoyed by the sudden way the second Utawarerumono anime ended, this is a good way to see the rest.

For those who have already played both... well why not do so again?  I know I will.  

37 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

By the way, I've been wondering for some time, but are there any reasons to play the original game instead of the remake that is also going to come out on Steam soon?

I would wait for the remake or play the ero-capable PC version.  It's your choice.  The original on PC is a pretty awesome story, but the game system is pretty third-rate, even by the standards of the age (to give you an example, the only two characters who could inflict serious damage on enemies at the end in my party were Karura and Hakuoro, lol).  Until I play the remake (which I plan to do), I'm unwilling to state which is better.  However, Utawarerumono was one of those games where the ero actually 'fit', at least in some cases, so I honestly don't know how I'm going to feel at the end.  

Edit: Incidentally, the reason my damage was so low with the others was because I was pretty careless with how I handled stat points, lol.  However, I was able to beat the last boss with those two alone, so it all worked out in the end, hahahaha.

17 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

I recommend reading this over watching mask of deception the anime though. They butchered it pretty badly and made Haku pretty much worthless in it. 

The anime adaptation of Mask of Deception is actually pretty on point, there is nothing to butcher except for the adaptation to the first game now that got butchered, they left out key parts of the story.

FYI I won't touch the remake to the first game at all.

Edited by Shaun

On 1/27/2020 at 5:42 AM, Shaun said:

The anime adaptation of Mask of Deception is actually pretty on point, there is nothing to butcher except for the adaptation to the first game now that got butchered, they left out key parts of the story.

FYI I won't touch the remake to the first game at all.

Nothing to butcher you say. Haku was a sidecharacter the whole anime. Watch it again if you've forgotten. All those annoyances of the anime vanished when i played it.

Edited by Stormwolf

5 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Nothing to butcher you say. Haku was a side character the whole anime. Watch it again if you've forgotten. Allym annoyances of the anime vanished when i played it.

Rewatching it won't change my opinion on it at all.  Sure the visual novel is of course better that is always the case but I did fully enjoy the anime adaptation.

If you see the anime without playing the game, the anime is just fine, despite ending on a frustrating cliffhanger.  However, once you've played the game, watching the anime is difficult, since it cuts out most of the character development.  

My laptop is quite old though, so the time I'll play this would be the time when Valve sell this VN on Steam completely uncensored and directly agree to sell it without much debate. I also wonder though if my opinion would be different if my laptop is stronger, but after I remember my stance on Grisaia fandiscs sequel duology, let's just say that I'm probably wouldn't play this anyway seeing that the first part is conclusive enough and the sequels is unneccesary (I admit that Leaf did improved their writing unlike Frontwing, in which it's the same case when 5pb improved their writing in Chaos Child from Chaos Head). Once again good job to Shira VN to persuade Leaf to port their console VNs on Steam, and it's shown that at least they still care of their initial customer (PC player).

Edited by littleshogun

2 hours ago, littleshogun said:

My laptop is quite old though, so the time I'll play this would be the time when Valve sell this VN on Steam completely uncensored and directly agree to sell it without much debate. I also wonder though if my opinion would be different if my laptop is stronger, but after I remember my stance on Grisaia fandiscs sequel duology, let's just say that I'm probably wouldn't play this anyway seeing that the first part is conclusive enough and the sequels is unnecessary (I admit that Leaf did improved their writing unlike Frontwing, in which it's the same case when 5pb improved their writing in Chaos Child from Chaos Head). Once again good job to Shira VN to persuade Leaf to port their console VNs on Steam, and it's shown that at least they still care of their initial customer (PC player).

The Sequels are not unnecessary, you really shouldn't say that without having played them yourself.  The sequels are really good as well, they may even be better than the first game.

That VN you linked, it's not a good one at all, I doubt Valve would ever allow a VN of it's type on Steam, they already don't allow any VNs with Loli like content of either all-ages or ones with adult content.  Supporting VNs on Steam is a bad idea anyways imho, VNs don't belong on Steam no matter what kind they are.

Edited by Shaun

I said it because I think that the ending for the first part is satisfying enough to me, so I did think that there's really no need for the sequel there. But you're right that some people might still not satisfying with the first part, so I'm sorry for that. And since I can't play the duology yet, perhaps I'll try to watch the anime and let's see if I can change my opinion here.