Tragic backstories that made you cry

MaggieROBOT

So, I mentioned this in another thread but I'm currently reading Fata Morgana and dear lord, they weren't lying when they said it's a VN about people suffering. Just finished door 7 and that was really painful. Much like a lot of VNs I rated in the 9s it have pure sadness backstories so it's looking good for the final score of FataMoru. 

And from those feelings that comes my question. Who are the characters that you think that suffered so much you can't help but want to protect them from all evil? Or well, characters that have the most awful backstories that even if they deserved it because they're awful themselves you still feel pity for them?

Alternatively, I know some people might not like to go through stories that aren't only happy feelings all around, then did you ever felt like crying because some route outcome was so so happy and so so satisfying or is it just me?

Let's relive those tragedies, bring me your tears.

Overall, Fata Morgana, Little Busters and maybe Planetarian are the only VNs that I remember quite literally made me cry. Maybe there are other VNs that I forgot. And in case of the later two VNs, it wasn't really due to anyone's backstories. So, I'm just going to talk about backstories that made me feel generally melancholic, even if I didn't really think like crying. Some of them touched me more than the others.

Not in any particular order. Putting the names of the characters into the spoiler boxes, major spoilers will be in the double spoilers.

Umineko - lots of characters, but there are two obvious backstories that make me pretty sad. To avoid direct spoilers, I'll say:

Spoiler

Kinzo, Tohya and Lion

Spoiler

by whom I actually mean Yasu.

Higurashi -

Spoiler

Rika

's backstory is actually pretty messed up if you stop to think about it.

Narcissu - the whole cast.

Fata Morgana - basically, half of the cast. Especially

Spoiler

Morgana.

Katahane - it's not really anyone's backstory in a strict sense, but the whole Kurohane chapter was pretty touching, especially

Spoiler

the reason for Ein's betrayal and

Spoiler

Dua

's death scene.

Edit. Oh, and forgot about it since it isn't in my voted list, but while I'm not really a fan of Himawari, there were a few character's whose backtories were pretty touching.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Well, there are quite a few of them, so I'll just go ahead and list the ones that came to mind first.

Spoiler

Zakuro

in SubaHibi

Spoiler

Amane

in Grisaia

Spoiler

Yuuko

in ef

Spoiler

Kotori

in Rewrite

All of these hit me pretty hard, but I think the one from SubaHibi affected me the most. I still get depressed whenever I think back on it.

Edited by Seraphim88

Evolimit

Spoiler

The backstory between Kou and Kokoro.  An older brother who loved his sister with all his heart, to the point where he went mad when he discovered that the person who had received her donor heart had 'stolen' her dream to go to Mars one day, not knowing that Kokoro/Chenfui had merely asked Shiranui to fulfill her dream for her.  

Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana

Spoiler

The backstory of the three heroines and the protagonist, where the protagonist begged the world flower to save their lives... and they were condemned to become angels, beings existing solely to consume the lives of those chosen as an offering to the world tree.   His guilt and his resolve to give everything in order to save the girls' from their horrific fates.  He sacrificed their memories of him, the memories of their time together, their bonds, everything for the chance to save them from that fate.

Hapymaher

Spoiler

Maia, Tohru, and Saki's backstory. 

Really only two VNs have made me cry so far, but I'm hoping the count will get higher in the future.  For now:

From Grisaia:

Spoiler

All of the main cast excluding Yuuji and Yumiko.

From Euphoria:

Spoiler

Nemu and probably Kanae (it was sort of hard to tell whether those tears were or weren't just an extension of the ones for Nemu.)

It's extremely hard to make me emotional, but I'd still like to make my case here. I usually don't tear up, I rather get pangs of satisfaction along the lines of "Thank you for blessing me with this powerful/well written scene". Rather than tearjerky they are generally more like memorable scenes for me.

Those include:

Saya no Uta (A very recent read, so it might just still be relevant for me)

Spoiler

Sayas backstory is basically a somewhat detached science report, not too much of an emotional moment, but the scope of it felt really impactful for me and it's tied back into the story emotionally.

Shining Song Starnova

Spoiler

Mariyas backstory in her previous idol group was very in-depth and emotional from multiple angles.

Family Project

Spoiler

All of the characters had a lot of baggage, but Jun was really heavy.

The only VN that actually made me tear up was Harukoi Otome, but I think that was more related to my state of mind at the time I read it and it's basically my proof for not being a robot. ;)

Spoiler

The triangle backstory between Akihito(Protagonist), Umi(Sister) and Yuika(Childhood friend) got me pretty good, even though I can say it wasn't all that inspired in the aftermath.

On a side note, what also got me at the time was the scene were Ayakas(Senpai) dog died.

For some reason backstories in general have a harder time to impact me, the disconnect of time and seeing the results they had beforehand often takes the edge off for me.

Backstories...

The first one that comes to mind for me is  Kotomi from Clannad. It made me feeling exactly as described in the first post - wanting to protect her and never leave her alone.

Also Yuka from Crescendo, and Jun from Family Project.

And then, maybe not as tragic but still made my eyes wet - Ayaka from Princess Evangile.

Edited by adamstan