10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Switch Game Should I Play?

• Breath of the Wild
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    • Dragon Quest XI
    • Octopath Traveller

Edit: I thought threads in this forum didn't appear on the sidebar :o

I have a number of Switch games that I've played various amounts of. I like them, but my PC-centric self couldn't bring himself to stick with any of them until the end. I'd like to make real progress on one, so here I am to ask the people to make the decision for me.

Breath of the Wild - 8-ish hours.

From what I played of it, I quite like it! My only real problems with it are that I suck at controls, because lol never use consoles, and that I got bogged down visiting my first village and I tend to get bogged down trying to talk to everyone, which is honestly something of a bore at times.
If I could just control the character better, I could pull off funnier strategies in combat using my abilities some and actually managing to use bows without accidentally throwing them instead of shooting an arrow or something.
In theory, the problem will solve itself the more I play, but I didn't manage to get to a good level of ability last time.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 18 hours; Chapter 4

This post summarises my parting thoughts on the game pretty well. I'm not entirely certain on how worth it it is to try and recommence now.

Dragon Quest XI - 5 hours; Level 6

This game feels like it defines what an 'Adventure' game is. I thought it'd be the standard RPG with turn based battles as the plot advanced, but it's thrown me in so many varied situations! Mountain exploring, stealth segment, running away a la Indiana Jones, figuring out how to get to that chest out there in the porch taunting me. It's fun in that sense.
Gameplay wise it's pretty standard so far, but I've got two party members. I'm not really ready to claim anything about the combat. Though I'm about ready to skip through battles as quickly as I can despite being this early one, which might not be a good sign.
The problem with this one is the feeling that I should get all I can, making me get bogged down looking at every nook and cranny even when it's exhausting or not enjoyable. Can't miss that chest, eh??

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 150 hours; Edelgard and Claude routes; In the middle of the first part of Dimitri's route. Maddening started on Church Route.

Yeah, I liked this one. I'm extremely thankful for this title for a bunch of reasons, especially for making Fire Emblem popular, creating loads of fun characters and getting me into actually being able to play Fire Emblem style games when I got a bad impression from Shadow Dragon before (I never understood why I couldn't get into it when I like Advance Wars so much).
So, I like everything about this game except the repetition involved in replaying, which is probably why momentum did not carry me into playing every route. Regardless, do you think I should play some more of this? Maddening is fun in a very turtle-y and slow way, whereas I'm probably not too far from the timeskip for Dimitri's route (though I've already been spoiled on most plot events).

If I do replay this, I'll almost certainly make a thread about my preferences for the voices of the characters (JP vs ENG). Though I am biased towards ENG, for being the one I first heard, there's a number of them I prefer in Japanese.

Octopath Traveller - Chapters 2 or 3, maybe? 23-ish hours. No idea, since I'd have to re-download it.

It's very okay. I like some stories more than others. I bloody wish characters talked more with each other. City exploration makes me spend loads of time talking to everyone. Battles are grindy even when they're dangerous. Getting places takes time and random encounters. The bosses can be fun when they're not frustrating.
The main thing I like about it are the characters and the things I can play around with in the combat system, that kind of lose interest in my 3457th random encounter as I travel (even though I probably need these so the next boss does not eat me alive).

Edited by Mr Poltroon

Breath of the Wild - 8-ish hours.

From what I played of it, I quite like it! My only real problems with it are that I suck at controls, because lol never use consoles, and that I got bogged down visiting my first village and I tend to get bogged down trying to talk to everyone, which is honestly something of a bore at times.
If I could just control the character better, I could pull off funnier strategies in combat using my abilities some and actually managing to use bows without accidentally throwing them instead of shooting an arrow or something.
In theory, the problem will solve itself the more I play, but I didn't manage to get to a good level of ability last time.

I experienced the controls issue as well, but sure enough, it eventually resolved. Also, I don't know if this is a common issue, but I failed to realize for a very long time that physically moving the controller/Switch adjusts your aim when using a bow, and upon realizing this, my marksmanship finally stopped sucking.

Also, please don't go around talking to everyone and doing every darn side quest. Open worlds are meant for freedom and adventure, not completionism.