The House in Fata Morgana

Stormwolf

Did you watch this video on the developer's Youtube channel? I believe, it should answer your questions.

Edit. Didn't think about it when I posted, but if you haven't played the game, then it's better to skip from 3:00 to 8:15 in the video. THey are trying to avoid spoilers in this video, but that part showcasing the extra story is still pretty spoilery.

Also, the PS4 version has an additional story that isn't available on PC with more anime-like graphics and voice acting. I can't really say if the story is good since I only played the PC version.

Edited by Dreamysyu

I'm feeling quite ambivalent towards the PS4 release. On one hand, Fata Morgana is one of my favorite VNs and I would love to experience the new content, but at the same time, the fact that they made it PlayStation exclusive kinda feels like being spat in the face, as a supporter of both the original PC version as well as Requiem for Innocence.

21 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

I'm feeling quite ambivalent towards the PS4 release. On one hand, Fata Morgana is one of my favorite VNs and I would love to experience the new content, but at the same time, the fact that they made it PlayStation exclusive kinda feels like being spat in the face, as a supporter of both the original PC version as well as Requiem for Innocence.

it's also coming to the Switch :P

15 minutes ago, Silvz said:

t's also coming to the Switch :P

That's even worse then! Releasing it on several formats but ignoring the one where it all started makes no sense to me. I actually have both a PS4 and a Switch and could buy the game if I feel like it, but stuff like this doesn't sit well with me so I feel like I should boycott it. I don't know if I'll actually be able to do that though, since I would very much like to read the new content at some point.

6 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

That's even worse then! Releasing it on several formats but ignoring the one where it all started makes no sense to me. I actually have both a PS4 and a Switch and could buy the game if I feel like it, but stuff like this doesn't sit well with me so I feel like I should boycott it. I don't know if I'll actually be able to do that though, since I would very much like to read the new content at some point.

That version is still fairly new, so who knows, maybe they will port it to PC eventually when the sales on the consoles die down. Which is what I hope for, because I'm not really going to purchase a pricey console if I'm not even going to use it much.

From Novectacle official Twitter, they actually addressed porting the updated version to pc, but apparently there's some licensing issue to overcome (because of the voices? Because they need the okay from dramatic create, their partner for the console ports? It's not clear).

Regardless, this sucks, especially since I own a ps4 but for whatever reason the game is not available in my country's ps store (Yeah, I know, you can create another account, vpn, international credit card and shit, but that's way more effort than my lazy bum is willing to go through, also regional pricing).

19 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

The new content sucks.

-signed: a huge fan and shill of the original story

3 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Taking that with a tiny teaspoon of salt. I dont really doubt it, but you are a shill xD  anyone know if that episode is available right away or if you have to clear the game first?

The video I posted here shows that it is possible to unlock it right away if you answer some questions about the original game.

18 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Fantastic read so far. The choices you get is that the side stories? I just got the "extend hand" "avert your eyes" to a mirror after chapter 2.

There are some bad endings. Iirc this choice may lead to a bad ending after chapter 4. You don't really need to use a walkthrough though. Act rationally and you should get the true ending right away.

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

There are some bad endings. Iirc this choice may lead to a bad ending after chapter 4. You don't really need to use a walkthrough though. Act rationally and you should get the true ending right away.

Thanks, but acting rationally doesnt really apply to this case. It's completely out of the blue and have you wondering, and it doesnt hint to it being unwise or not. If this leads to a bad end after 2 chapters then a guide would certainly be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Thanks, but acting rationally doesnt really apply to this case. It's completely out of the blue and have you wondering, and it doesnt hint to it being unwise or not. If this leads to a bad end after 2 chapters then a guide would certainly be appreciated.

I personally think this choice is pretty rational, at least in a computer game sense.

I mean, it's a pretty common thing in adventure games that you are expected to explore as much as possible and get as much information as you can.

I personally played this game without using a walkthrough and got only one bad end. The only thing I didn't really like is that there were a few timed choices

Just to avoid confusion, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use a walkthrough. I understand that most people prefer to use them, and if you don't care about experimenting with choices to see how they affect the story, then it's better to use a walkthrough. I'm just saying that even if you choose not to use a walkthrough, most likely the game isn't going to be very difficult.

I've been reading this one as well (on 5th door, really fantastic) and I'm not using any walkthrough and it's as Dreamysyu says: it's a very easy game to wander on your own. Got 3 bad endings so far, but it was very obvious what could trigger them so I did that on purpose just to see what they were about (heard they are interesting).

So some tips:

- If a game give you a choice for you to get an extra item/receive information/most likely keep the conversation going, pick this one over the one to cut the scene short/ignore it all (actually this works for like 99% of VNs). 9 out of 10 times it's the right one.

- Getting both this one choice after the second door + one after third door (I won't spoil but it's about the painting) right unlocks the necessary choice for the True Ending, but the choices for the bad endings will still be there if you want to see them. So there's literally zero purpose to pick them wrong.

Happy reading :mare:  is happy the right choice of words for FataMoru tho?

Edited by MaggieROBOT

35 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

really fantastic

Right?

35 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

Happy reading :mare:  is happy the right choice of words for FataMoru tho?

Happy reading to you too, You've still got a lot of surprises waiting for you. :sachi:

By the way, I hope Stormwolf will forgive me for a slight off-topic, but what's your favorite chapter so far? Personally I think I liked chapters 3, 5 and 7 the most.

Well, I guess we can use it for some late comers discussion :mare:  he's also very welcome to give his impressions!

I'm tempted to choose chapter 5 as the best one for now, but I still have more to see, I'm on the part where

Spoiler

Giselle wakes up in the village after passing out in the forest. Damn, that part where she flees to the forest really HURTS

On to the others (I'll break it into 2 spoilers if Stormwolf wants to join the discussion)

About chapter 1 and 2...

Spoiler

Chapter 1 was good enough to hook me in to the game, although since we have very little information at this point we just read it through without thinking much. That Nellie CG at the end of the chapter was stunning and haunting though, one of the highlights of the chapter.

Chapter 2 starts off really slow, just the Beast thoughts going in circles again and again and Pauline's scene were a bit on the boring side most of the time... then the twist hit and HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT and I binged the rest of the chapter in a flash. Didn't really saw that coming but things really made all sense in the end like unbelievable, damn.

About chapters 3, 4 and 5...

Spoiler

I had a bit of a weird time with Chapter 3 because Jacopo's character is either annoying (poor White-Haired Girl) or goddamn DUMB. Maria was right, how the guy even let that shit reach that kinda breaking point??? If that was all intentional to make me groan, I give it all the credit though as it succeeded :P Speaking of Maria, all the songs from her scenes were spot on and great.

Chapter 4 was beautiful and somber. Music was super fitting too. But. I left my pc for a few moments and when I went back to it I checked the backlog to see where I was. Oh. Damn.......... I liked this one but knowing what it really is makes it hard to rank it higher. Of course, their relationship moved a bit too fast and was too pure but yeah, makes sense why.

Chapter 5 then start to make me feel better about 4, as it shows you what was actually true and what was false. The two poor hurt souls. Also, I'm really digging how it's showing us both of their perspectives. Gives a lot more of insight of their characters, being more "personal".

Edited by MaggieROBOT

1 hour ago, MaggieROBOT said:

<...>

Overall, I'd say, my impression about the first two chapters were pretty similar to yours.

Spoiler

The first chapter was good enough to make me interested in the game as a whole, but I can't really say there was anything amazing about it. I had a few problems with chapter 2 at first. I mean, the twist was definitely pretty shocking, but if you think about it in retrospective, unlike pretty much all the other twists in the game, it feels like it's there only for the sake of there being a twist and for the shock value. Still, the second half of the chapter was pretty interesting.

As of chapter 3, I've heard multiple complaints about it, but I personally loved it, and it was actually the point when I became really interested in the game.

Spoiler

Don't get me wrong, Jacopo is a massive idiot, and he completely deserves every misfortune that happens to him. Still, I feel like this is exactly the case where the main character in the story isn't really meant to be likable to begin with. With his backstory, I could more or less understand where his insecurities came from and how he became this type of person. While I agree that he should've never let the things go that far, I can't really say this type of tragedy would absolutely never happen in real life. I guess, he reminded me a bit of certain person who I'm very close with irl who is completely incapable of keeping healthy relationship with other people and is constantly hurting everyone around him for some very stupid reasons, and that made this chapter a lot more relatable than it could've been.

Also, I love the CG of the White-Haired Girl crying with the letter. And yeah, the music in this chapter is pretty good.

Chapter 4 felt a bit underwhelming at first

Spoiler

before a checked the backlog. :sachi: Also, it becomes even better when you finish the story, but I won't spoil it.

Starting with chapter 5 the game becomes even better. I didn't include chapters 6 and 8 in my favorites only because I needed not to include something. Every chapter has some really strong moments, and overall, I'd say, it's the second half that makes this game as good as it is. I'd love to hear your reactions about the later chapters!

And there's also Requiem for Innocence, which is just as good as the original game. I cried like a little girl at some scenes. :yumiko:

11 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I'd say, it's the second half that makes this game as good as it is. I'd love to hear your reactions about the later chapters!

And there's also Requiem for Innocence, which is just as good as the original game. I cried like a little girl at some scenes. :yumiko:

Well, that makes me even more hyped for what's to come. If I didn't reach the peak yet, holy shit, I hope my soul is ready.

And about Requiem, is it a sequel? as long as the original? my heart can take it reading it right afterwards? :ph34r: