New Higurashi anime discussion

Dreamysyu

https://myanimelist.net/news/58920109

There's not much information right now other than the character designs will be done by Akio Watanabe, which sounds kind of surreal considering that both Higurashi anime and VN are well known for their less than stellar art.

Other than that, I'm pretty curious what this will be about. Most likely it will be another original anime story like Outbreak, but I wouldn't mind seeing a proper remake too if they actually properly adapt the mystery aspects that the original anime failed to do (though it still has strong points in spite of that).

Edited by Dreamysyu

56 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Honestly, they should stop milking Higurashi and focus on adapting the other 07th Expansion novels.

That would be ideal, yeah, but with the way the anime industry is right now, I doubt other VNs are popular enough for the adaptation to work. And, imo, that's still better than nothing.

4 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

That would be ideal, yeah, but with the way the anime industry is right now, I doubt other VNs are popular enough for the adaptation to work. And, imo, that's still better than nothing.

Unineko still exists. IIRC, that anime wasn't even finished

2 minutes ago, Happiness+ said:

Unineko still exists. IIRC, that anime wasn't even finished

From what I heard, the anime was pretty bad, so it's actually good that it wasn't finished, since most people who wanted to see how it concluded went to the VNs and manga. And I would love to see it readapted by a bigger budget studio, but VNs just aren't that big in Japan anymore to have an adaptation like that. Even if we get a new Umineko anime, most likely it will be just as bad as the previous work.

Higurashi is definitely an exception though, considering that it already has a rather popular anime adaptation and how often it's released on different consoles. So, this anime might actually turn out to be good.

Yeah, the anime adaptation of Umineko was terrible, with a lot of important clues being cut off entirely. From what I can recall, it was made when Umineko had only the question arcs released, so DEEN didn't have the full material to work with, thus causing the lack of depth.

• 11 months later...

So, I watched the first two episodes... And it was kind of weird? The first episode, honestly, felt kind of rushed version of the first two episodes of the previous version of the anime. Though, on second thought, I think it did include some details from the VN that the previous anime skipped, but I'm not sure.

The second ep went in a pretty weird direction. Overall, it is a bit interesting to see where it will go, but, honestly, now I do have a feeling that it probably would be better for the franchise if they left it alone and moved to something else.

Spoiler

The way the original ended was imo perfectly fine. Did we really need a sequel?

Overall, it may turn into a decent addition to the franchise, but I wouldn't recommend anybody to start with this version.

From what I see when it come to this, I can say this adaptation is like a student who use cheat sheet to take the exam and obviously the student is failed because he didn't understand the meaning of the question and thus he didn't know why the right answer is right in the first place. Bad analogy I know, but it should make sense if you already finished Higurashi.

Edited by littleshogun

Hmmm. Currently at episode 8. The second arc is actually pretty good. There are some things to think about. I guess, we can probably consider it the first time when

Spoiler

Mion got a proper character arc. Kind of a shame she never had one in the original story.

Actually, it may be just me, but I feel like this anime is atmospherically closer to the VN rather than the 2006 anime.

Edited by Dreamysyu