/r/visualnovels made a new version of their visual novel recommendation chart: a recommendation site.

NowItsAngeTime

https://sites.google.com/view/r-visualnovels-recs/

I did writeups for:

Katawa Shoujo, Phoenix Wright, DanganRonpa, Fate/Stay, Ever17, Hoshizora, Symphonic, Majikoi, Sankaku Renai, Tsujidou, Sharin no Kuni, Swan Song, Miagete Goran/Sky Full of Stars, Rewrite, Kikougai, Remember11, and Fashioning Lonesome.

10 minutes ago, GXOALMD said:

I had no idea we had something like this.

It's actually sort of independent of fuwa despite the URL. I think there was a thought of making this the new fuwa front page at some point, but well, Tay is dead and I don't think he was involved either way, and now Emi is dead too, so really what you gonna do?

I feel like these kind of recommendation sites should be easier to find, for instance the fuwanovel.se site I think mainly only people who were active when it was made and the initial discussion was up for it. Tag the main discussion for some of the recommendation sites out there or make a link on the site or something that is easy to see rather than let it be burried as time progress. Personally I feel like the settup on the fuwanovel.se site is the best and I think it would be pretty cool if it was used more and was worked on more to add new titles and new features etc.

Edited by bakauchuujin

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

It's in the General tab. And putting it just in the Mystery tab wouldn't really give it justice, no?

It would, if a big part of it is being mystery. But naturally you should be able to tag it with more genres too. One thing is for certain, being inĀ "general" gives no justice to anything.

Edited by Stormwolf

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

It would, if a big part of it is being mystery. But naturally you should be able to tag it with more genres too. One thing is for certain, being inĀ "general" gives no justice to anything.

From what I understand, the general tab is supposed to include very popular VNs that are generally recommended regardless of your genre preferences. And most of VNs there and in the "beginner" tab don't fit into a single tab that well anyway. Like, where would you even place Subahibi? But, overall, yeah, tagging some VNs with multiple genres would probably make this list better.

1 hour ago, GXOALMD said:

GnK is considered a beginner novel?Ā  I must be the odd one out, because I'm completely certain that if GnK had been my first VN it would have also been my last within the first thirty minutes.

I'm pretty sure many people start with Grisaia though? I recall there was a thread about people's first VNs some time ago, and I think it was a rather popular choice.

Just now, Dreamysyu said:

I'm pretty sure many people start with Grisaia though? I recall there was a thread about people's first VNs some time ago, and I think it was a rather popular choice.

It did occur to me in the time since I posted that that GnK might beĀ a good starting novel for people coming from anime.Ā  I'm guessing that's probably what happened for them.

On 07/01/2020 at 12:51 PM, Dreamysyu said:

From what I understand, the general tab is supposed to include very popular VNs that are generally recommended regardless of your genre preferences. And most of VNs there and in the "beginner" tab don't fit into a single tab that well anyway. Like, where would you even place Subahibi? But, overall, yeah, tagging some VNs with multiple genres would probably make this list better.

Tagging something with only general tells them one thing.. thats its a vn. Nothing more really. I'd say its always best to tag something which is closest to what the vn actually is. Is a large part mystery and the conclusion is action, then obviously mystery is the best fittingĀ tag. Everything focuses on something more than others. Well this as long as you cant tag with multiple genres.