Winter Sale Recommendations

GXOALMD

Well, I can't really say I understand your tastes looking through your VN list, so these suggestions are pretty random.

Tokyo Babel: decent chuunige, currently at -75%.

The House in Fata Morgana: must play, currently at -50%.

Also, if you like Yumina, I might suggest Aselia + Seinarukana bundle by the same authors (currently at -56%). Just not that these two are mostly good for gameplay and not that much for story. I mean, I like the story in Aselia, but it's very rough and probably wouldn't work as well without gameplay. As for Seinarukana... Well, let's forget that it even had any story, okay? :sachi:

15 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

* Clannad. Especially since you rated Little Busters so highly.

* I don't know how much of Muv-Luv you've already read, but Muv-Luv Alternative is highly recommended.

Thanks for the suggestions, I unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose) already own both of those.  Actually I own two copies of Clannad, I'm not entirely sure how that happened.

7 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, I can't really say I understand your tastes looking through your VN list, so these suggestions are pretty random.

Tokyo Babel: decent chuunige, currently at -75%.

The House in Fata Morgana: must play, currently at -50%.

Also, if you like Yumina, I might suggest Aselia + Seinarukana bundle by the same authors (currently at -56%). Just not that these two are mostly good for gameplay and not that much for story. I mean, I like the story in Aselia, but it's very rough and probably wouldn't work as well without gameplay. As for Seinarukana... Well, let's forget that it even had any story, okay? :sachi:

Tokyo Babel and Fata Morgana have both been on my radar for a while, thanks for letting me know they've got a decent sale going on.

Aselia and Seinarukana look interesting, how difficult are they?  I don't really play turn based rpgs, so if they're easy I'll definitely pick them up but if they're difficult I'll probably have to pass.

16 minutes ago, GXOALMD said:

how difficult are they? 

I can't really compare them to anything else, because these two together with Moekuri are pretty much the only SRPGs I've played so far. Overall, I'd say, it depends on who you ask and on how you play.

Starting with Aselia, I can't really say I found it particularly difficult, but it also wasn't easy at all. I mean, the gameplay is pretty straightforward, but there are a lot of small details to keep track of, and it actually took me more than one playthrough to realize how some things even work. On the other hand, it means that I actually managed to beat this game without even understanding the rules, so... :makina: At the same time, you definitely need to turn on your head to play it, and I've seen some comments online that some people found it too difficult to play. Another problem is that you can literally make the game unbeatable if you don't level up some of your skills before some points where stronger enemies start appearing. There were a few times when I had to load older save files and focus on leveling up different characters than I did at first. I think it only happened during my second playthrough though. The only bottleneck during the first playthrough was the battle with the dragon at the very beginning, and I don't think I had any real problems after that.

Here's an example of the gameplay. It's the very first battle in the game.

Compared to that, Seinarukana felt a lot easier. I mean, they added even more details to keep track of, but at the same time the game is just a lot more forgiving. The only real exception are some of the boss battles, especially early in the game. They might require some very specific strategies and might be a problem. Though, if you aim for S+ rank in all battles like I did, then it becomes challenging again just like Aselia was.

PS. Well, I guess, I should also mention that getting used to the gameplay in Seinarukana will be a lot more difficult if you haven't played Aselia first.

On 20/12/2019 at 8:30 PM, GXOALMD said:

Tokyo Babel and Fata Morgana have both been on my radar for a while, thanks for letting me know they've got a decent sale going on.

If you only get one, get Fata Morgana.

Tokyo Babel felt like it was suffering an identity crisis, the way it flip-flopped from comedy to serious fantasy at times. It just didn't work for me.

I I don't know if these VNs would be good for you, but at least I know that SciFi ADV VNs (Steins Gate, Steins Gate 0, and Chaos Child) got 60% off. Other than that, we also have Shibuya Scramble get 70% off. Lastly if you want to play some moege, there's Konosora that got three quarter (75%) off although I would recommend you to play it with Restoration patch here thanks to Pulltop overcensored their own VN for overseas release. I hope my recommendations here will be helpful to you.

Edited by littleshogun