Bokuten - Why I Became an Angel is now available on the MangaGamer store and Steam!

NowItsAngeTime

Favorite girl?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite girl?

• Aine
    • Naruko Nakizaki
    • Yuri Hisaka
    • Minamo Wakamatsu
  2. 2. Favorite route?

• Aine
    • Naruko Nakizaki
    • Yuri Hisaka
    • Minamo Wakamatsu
  3. 3. Favorite Common Route Chapter?

• Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4
    • Chapter 5
    • Chapter 6

MangaGamer store link
https://www.mangagamer.com/r18/detail.php?goods_type=0&product_code=1092

Steam version link:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668360/Bokuten__Why_I_Became_an_Angel/

If you're interested in talking about BokuTen as you read, when you're done, and/or if you're a fan of previous Overdrive visual novels like Kira Kira, Deardrops, Edelweiss, Go Go Nippon, or Dengeki Stryker...

Be sure to join the OverDrive discord!

https://discord.gg/m8sGK4u 

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

I believe that Aine was voiced by Nakamura Eriko using alias Kirinokojima Tsubasa, but unfortunately I don't know which site that could verify my theory here other than Bangumi (I know about it from there first).

As for my Bokuten's overview here, I think I can only describe the writer as someone who have a very bitter view about love. While you may argue that it's only apply for Bokuten, I can say that it's been like this since Deardrops in which the author did introduce the concept 'Band member can't fall in love' which to say was quite questionable concept back then (I remember that it spawn stupid drama in Rimu's route). Granted that it's been sort of handwaved in Deardrops, but after looking at the spoiler (Especially the setting) I believe that the author here did write his opinion on love at Bokuten here very much. Also if I recall from Deardrops usually some problem are quickly resolved, so you need to be prepared for that in Bokuten (Especially @Seraphim88). Lastly while I did say that the writer did have very bitter view of love, you may try this if you want some very depressing story about love (I wouldn't call it realistic though seeing that it would be varied if we talk about love experience here) and have fun.

Edited by littleshogun

4 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Utsuge... I will never understand why people play these when it just makes them feel like shit. 

I can't speak for everyone, but my current life situation leaves me uncomfortable feeling a healthy range of emotions with regards to real life issues and the safe space provided by fiction allows me the chance to experience a variety of emotions I'm restricted from normally.

Spoiler

Unrelated but equally valid explanation:  It's called hentai... and it's art.

I browsed through Steam screenshots, and one thing caught my eye:

ss_fe84d0199b4c30ef43b682ff1d83c7a84b35a

Last time I've seen this (romanizing 先輩 as "sempai") was, as far as Manga Gamers' works go, in Harukoi Otome :P Looks a bit weird, but of course not a big thing. (and has its merits, since it is closer to the actual sound of the word) OTOH - I really like the overall look of this - background and characters look really nice.

However, that game is a bit pricey for me currently. I'm mildly interested in it, but considering my already huge backlog, I think I'll wait for next year sales ;)

Edited by adamstan

39 minutes ago, adamstan said:

I really like the overall look of this - background and characters look really nice.

The school uniforms remind me a lot of the ones in Koichoco, and the character designs are pretty similar too in some cases.

Yuri (to the left) in Bokuten vs Satsuki in Koichoco, for example:

VZNUzf.jpg

T5ihsS.png

On 12/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, かずや said:
Spoiler

apparently bokuten is has ntr, should i still read it anyways?

just how bad is it?

and does it concern the 4 main heroines?

I can't speak for the heroine routes since I haven't done any of them yet, but the common route chapter I'm currently at revolves around it, and it's way worse than I thought it would be. If you don't mind spoilers and want to know what happens, here's my summary:

Spoiler

A girl gets blackmailed and raped by a middle aged man over several months. A classmate who's in love with her teams up with some of the main characters to help her, and they manage to put the guy in jail. Afterwards, the girl and the classmate who's in love with her start dating, but she has more or less suffered a mind break after all the abuse and can't be satisfied by the normal sexual relations with her new boyfriend, so she starts seeking satisfaction elsewhere. Last thing I saw, the boyfriend caught her red-handed having a consensual gangbang with a bunch of hobos in a park.

I turned the VN off after that because I couldn't stomach anymore right now. I'll pick it up again tomorrow, hoping this chapter will be over with soon.
Other than this crap, I've really liked Bokuten so far, although it can certainly get depressing at times.

On 19/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, Stormwolf said:

Utsuge... I will never understand why people play these when it just makes them feel like shit. 

Feeling.

Feeling anything is, for a lot of people, better than an insipid, tasteless life... even if the feeling concerned might range itself in the "bad feelings" category. To some extent, it's probably a bit similar to what makes people seek feelings gained with extreme sports (danger).

I guess for most people, it's probably true only if the "bad" feeling in question comes from fiction. Similar to some phantasms being pleasurable only if they stay that - a phantasm.

10 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

I can't speak for the heroine routes since I haven't done any of them yet, but the common route chapter I'm currently at revolves around it, and it's way worse than I thought it would be. If you don't mind spoilers and want to know what happens, here's my summary:

Reveal hidden contents

A girl gets blackmailed and raped by a middle aged man over several months. A classmate who's in love with her teams up with some of the main characters to help her, and they manage to put the guy in jail. Afterwards, the girl and the classmate who's in love with her start dating, but she has more or less suffered a mind break after all the abuse and can't be satisfied by the normal sexual relations with her new boyfriend, so she starts seeking satisfaction elsewhere. Last thing I saw, the boyfriend caught her red-handed having a consensual gangbang with a bunch of hobos in a park.

I turned the VN off after that because I couldn't stomach anymore right now. I'll pick it up again tomorrow, hoping this chapter will be over with soon.
Other than this crap, I've really liked Bokuten so far, although it can certainly get depressing at times.

Spoiler

Hypersexual behaviour as a reaction to rape-related trauma is not that uncommon as far as I know. I'd agree though that this VN doesn't seem like it's the right medium to handle this kind of issue properly and sensitively.

Was really interested in this by the synopsis, but I think I'll abstain after all, after reading a bit more in this thread. Had my issues with Overdrive games before, somehow they just don't seem to work for me. I'm only very rarely in the mood for utsuge and if I am, I want the characters to at least try to achieve a happy ending and not blindly stumble into misery due to gross negligence or incompetence...

On 21/12/2019 at 8:40 PM, Seraphim88 said:

Reveal hidden contents

what happens after that?

On 22/12/2019 at 11:27 PM, Ruberick said:

Was really interested in this by the synopsis, but I think I'll abstain after all, after reading a bit more in this thread. Had my issues with Overdrive games before, somehow they just don't seem to work for me. I'm only very rarely in the mood for utsuge and if I am, I want the characters to at least try to achieve a happy ending and not blindly stumble into misery due to gross negligence or incompetence...

You arent ever into utsuge then. Its nakige you like

3 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

You arent ever into utsuge then. Its nakige you like

I guess it's a bit of a blurry line, but I remember liking kana - imouto and one or two corpse party game, ultimately doomed to fail, but at least trying in a way...

I thought Utsuge only defined the result, not how you got there and how you got there is the factor that matters for me most and why I hated Kira Kira.

Let me put it this way, I really connect to a struggle against inevitability, if the struggle only exists due to negligence and/or incompetence it becomes unbearably frustrating for me.

Edited by Ruberick

8 hours ago, midanlaw said:

what happens after that?

Well, that was basically the climax of the route. The stuff that happens afterwards depends on a choice you have to make, resulting in either:

Spoiler

1. The girl and her classmate starts some sort of master/slave relationship, where he treats her like his possession in order to keep her lust in check so she doesn't turn to other men. There's a CG where he's out walking her on a leash and she's urinating like a dog. Ultimately, their relationship crumbles and they go their separate ways. (You don't get to see that part though; you're just told through text.)
2. The classmate starts being more forceful towards the girl, basically treating her like he's raping her. She still hooks up with other men on the side, and the classmate has decided to accept that.

There might be more to this since I've only finished one heroine route so far. If so, I can give you an update later on.

Done with Bokuten now! There's some content that isn't my cup of tea (mainly the stuff I mentioned earlier on this page), but all in all, I have to say that this is most definitely my favorite Overdrive VN as of now. One of the main reasons I became so engrossed in it is probably because it managed to hit close to home for me in many regards, thus becoming pretty relatable. Other than that, the art and music were good, and I really liked most of the characters, so I consider this a great experience overall.

@midanlaw As promised, here's a final update with what happens to those side characters, if you're interested:

Spoiler

After completing the first three heroine routes, the true route is unlocked, along with a new choice appearing in chapter 6 (the one with the NTR).
Everything I explained in my first post about this subject still happens (the rape, the park gangbang, etc), but the story differs a bit from there. Basically, the girl and the classmate are forced to break up, because the guy who raped her suddenly decides to make an open confession about it, meaning it becomes public knowledge and the girl's parents decide to move away with her to avoid all the attention. As the main story of the true route progresses, we learn that the classmate has decided to keep supporting the girl by sending letters to her new residence. This is the last piece of information we're fed about these characters, and while it's not exactly a happy ending, it's at least a bit more positive than the previous two.
Since this was a part of the true route of the game, I think it's safe to say this is the canon ending to that side story.