True Love '95 to be released on Steam on 2019-12-20

adamstan

Whoa, that came out of the left field.

movie480.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1094640/True_Love_95/

It looks like FAKKU is going to release +18 version of True Love ~Jun'ai Monogatari~ on Steam.

(Since game is marked as +18 on Steam, you can't acces store page without logging in and having adult content enabled in your settings).

Edited by adamstan

Yeah, it's VN mixed with a big amount of dating-sim, with some annoying RNG mechanics that make getting some heroine events pretty tiresome. But it's quite short, and some of the heroines are IMO very nice, so still worth giving it a go. (if the price won't be absurdly high)

I think Mikae from this game is partially responsible for my soft spot for osananajimi heroines, since it was first VN I played back when I was 16 or 17 and didn't even know what VN was ;)

With walkthrough, or another one (and a good bit of saving and reloading because of damned RNG) it is possible to "get" all (but one) heroines in single playthrough. The only mutually exclusive two are Mikae and Remi, so you need another save at branching point between those two.

Edited by adamstan

I suppose the costs of it were close to none (maybe they are using Asenheims remake as a basis for this?), so maybe they don't worry too much? But yeah, it feels totally random.

I guess they always can get few $$ thanks to nostalgia. I'm going to buy it just to have "legit" version after all those years.

Edited by adamstan

3 hours ago, JoshB2084 said:

Am I only one love True Love? Anyway, I'm excited to reading it again, and reading clearly in HD..

No, I have some fond memories of it too.

I wonder if they fixed the translation... But I'm a bit afraid it's just low-cost port.

Edited by adamstan

Was my introduction to dating sims and then VNs. I played this about when it came out in '98. Still have very fond memories of it, and the heroines in it, but seriously why rerelease it? It should be in the public domain instead. If you haven't played it before, grab a walkthrough and play it through to see how it was done well back then.

The thing is, the game is freely available online I believe ~legally already at the asenheim project.

6 minutes ago, ittaku said:

The thing is, the game is freely available online I believe legally already at the asenheim project:

Asenheim's site is unofficial, their releases are in the grey area (since most of the games are obviously abandonware). The only fully legal Asenheim's remakes are those available officially from JAST's site.

So I guess after this new official rerelease they might be made to take down True Love from their site (or not, since probably nobody cares anyway).

Edited by adamstan

Just now, adamstan said:

Asenheim's site is unofficial, their releases are in the grey area (since games are obviously abandonware). The only completely legal Asenheim's remakes are those available from JAST's site - this made them official.

So I guess after this new official rerelease they might be made to take down True Love from their site (or not, since probably nobody cares anyway).

That makes sense. I've modified my post to remove the link to it then as well. Still how much are they charging for this on steam? It should be a $1 release.

3 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Still how much are they charging for this on steam?

Looks like the price isn't known yet. We'll know in a few hours.

3 minutes ago, ittaku said:

It should be a $1 release.

Yeah, I think so too. Unless they retranslated it or sth.

Edited by adamstan

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got it and checked it out quickly.

It seems to be almost direct re-release of 1999 Otaku Publishing version. Script files are byte-for-byte identical, so no translation fixes :( Initial splash-screen has been changed from "Otaku Publishing" to "Fakku", there is separate exe file for windowed mode, and issues with running on modern Windows systems have been fixed. Manual has been converted from *.hlp format to html, but contents are the same, so you can read, that in order to load the game you have to put CD in the drive etc etc :D

It's DRM-free - doesn't require Steam client to play.

There are some leftover saves - almost as if this release was based on some pirate version :P

Any price higher than the current would have been a rip-off, but for $9, it's passable.

Edited by adamstan

On 20.12.2019 at 4:45 PM, adamstan said:

and issues with running on modern Windows systems have been fixed.

I take that back. There is still random delay whenever MIDI track changes (due to changed MIDI handling in newer Windows versions).

So, contrary to what I thought at first, it's just repackage of the 20 years old release with changed title screen and manual in different format :( Shame...

The version floating on the net on abandonware sites was 1.2 while this is apparently 1.3, but they don't seem to be much different.