YOU and ME and HER (aka Totono aka Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi)

Formlose Gestalt

Totono Poll  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Aoi or Miyuki?

• Aoi
    • Miyuki

2 hours ago, Narko said:
Spoiler

Would you say the same thing if it was your wife/girlfriend? It's just 10 min so it's okay?

I don't think it's fair to imply something is unacceptable to have in fiction just because it's unacceptable in real life.

2 hours ago, GXOALMD said:

I don't think it's fair to imply something is unacceptable to have in fiction just because it's unacceptable in real life.

Spoiler

It feels weird to hear that since I don't like NTR/bestiality/guro in real life I should be able to accept it in fiction... But I know well that this doesn't apply to some people here so I know what you mean.

On the other hand, you should also note that in some case when people experience those kind of stuff in real life I am not sure people will like it, even in fiction. I think this tag needs a warning before purchasing

2 hours ago, Narko said:

Would you say the same thing if it was your wife/girlfriend? It's just 10 min so it's okay?

You're taking this too seriously for some reason. It's just a game so chill.

2 hours ago, Narko said:
Spoiler

It feels weird to hear that since I don't like NTR/bestiality/guro in real life I should be able to accept it in fiction... But I know well that this doesn't apply to some people here so I know what you mean.

On the other hand, you should also note that in some case when people experience those kind of stuff in real life I am not sure people will like it, even in fiction. I think this tag needs a warning before purchasing

No, it does not need a warning. The only thing that comes out of this is minsinformation and spoiling the game so like, be a bit more subtle at least.

Also to be fair, absolutely NO ONE cares about that last part and those cases are pretty much rare. I could name a lot of other highly praised games that have that exact same content and even worse in fact.

Anyways, no need to start up a fight for this. Simply don't spoil the game for other people (or at least tag it)

I have added spoiler tags to the thread. Please be mindful of spoilers when talking about a title that literally just released!

(Incidentally, for people who reply to spoilers, you can put the contents of the quote inside a spoiler tag yourselves, if you feel it necessary.)

8 hours ago, Koyomi_ said:

Its just a 10 minutes scene tbh.

Also please don't spoil the game for others.

And? Its for that reason and that reason alone they tell you to avoid reading up or watching pictures. Strange tactic for such an hated genre.

7 hours ago, Koyomi_ said:

You're taking this too seriously for some reason. It's just a game so chill.

No, it does not need a warning. The only thing that comes out of this is minsinformation and spoiling the game so like, be a bit more subtle at least.

Also to be fair, absolutely NO ONE cares about that last part and those cases are pretty much rare. I could name a lot of other highly praised games that have that exact same content and even worse in fact.

Anyways, no need to start up a fight for this. Simply don't spoil the game for other people (or at least tag it)

No one cares? Do you ever think before speaking?

Spoilers in the loosest sense, because I haven't actually played the game or know its contents. Still wouldn't recommend you read them if you haven't played it or know some specific things about it like I happened to learn.

Spoiler

On this topic, I am also very much of the opinion that genres exist for a reason, and that games/books that go out of their way to pretend to be a different genre than what they are just seem... counter-intuitive. I don't know. I have genres I like and having games fool me with their marketing seems deceptive and makes me feel tricked. Some people enjoy this, however. "What a twist!"

There's no way, that I know of, to produce games such as this that do not lie to the consumer. That said, DDLC actually managed to pull off one of the best ways to explain this due to its warning label. It does reveal it has a twist, sort of like a "Hi! Twists within!" sign.

As prefaced, I don't know exactly how much of this applies to Totono, exactly.

I'm reading Totono at the moment, and it seems the skip function is broken after

Spoiler

Miyuki "rewrote" the game UI and whatnot.

It worked just fine before, but now it skips unread text as well although that option isn't selected in the game settings. Is this something I'm going to have to be concerned about for the rest of the game or will it eventually start working properly again?

EDIT: Done with the game, and it turned out the skip issue didn't affect that much in the end.

Edited by Seraphim88

I knew about "the thing" before Totono was TL'd, so the damage inflicted to me is rather low. However, I did not know the full context for everything I picked up over osmosis and now that I'm finished, I think it's neat.

After finishing it, you realize it's one of those ideas you have when you're awake at 3:00 AM and shitposting on VN discords or imageboards. Kind of like Cabin in the Woods for horror movies. Although maybe that's just me. There were enough meta moments to genuinely impress me and I do enjoy reading something different every now and then.

And, well, I guess I'm done with this VN. :michiru: 

My thoughts:

1. tenor.gif

2. I need more denpa.

3. You fight like a cow.

4. I guess, while it may indeed be a bit better than that-one-vn, but the problem is that it's also a lot worse, if you know what I mean.

5. I'm pretty sure you'll hate it, @GXOALMD. Some heavy spoilers:

Spoiler

The problem is not that you shouldn't use a walkthrough, but you quite literally can't use it, since some choices are randomized.

6. Eroge are dead. Long live otomege!

7. I hate 99% of all h-scenes in eroge, and I often skip them completely even when I'm playing an 18+ version, but somehow I actually liked the very first h-scene in Miyuki's route. But, well, it was the only h-scene in this entire VN that I liked. :makina:

Spoiler

The worst part is that the ntr scene is only the second cringiest.

Seriously though, it was quite an interesting experience. It actually addressed some of my distaste towards certain VN/eroge tropes, which I had ever since I started playing my first VN in 2013. It's not really a "kamige" or anything like that, but interesting and novel enough for me to rate it as 9/10. I may lower this rating in the future after I think things through, but right now I think this VN deserves it. I hope I didn't spoil anything with my post (I tried to be as vague as possible), but in case you are still not spoiled on certain twists, which is pretty much impossible at this point, I recommend going in as blind as possible, since some of the well-known spoilers actually detract a lot from experience.

PS. Though I actually agree that it probably needs content warning about certain content, maybe like Mangagamer did with Fata Morgana, where you have to open a separate webpage to read them.

PPS.

Spoiler

Comparing it with DDLC, I think that Totono explored its themes a lot more consistently and in-depth. However, it has one massive flaw -- it's just a lot less accessible for general audience. And no, DDLC is not a total ripoff, it definitely holds some value on it's own. Though, I guess, reading Totono before DDLC would probably ruin the later completely.

Speaking of NTR, I'm actually not so sure that it was that necessary, but whatever.

Edited by Dreamysyu

so i got the game, unfortunately i can't install: "the application was unable to start 0xc00007b". tried a number of things such as restarting, running as admin, running in all available compatibility modes, updating, reinstalling and updating directx (including 9c), scanning the disk (no errors), installing aio package, installing all versions of microsoft visual c++, reinstalling the net framework. still doesn't work. i might be fucked at this point, but i'll keep trying.

38 minutes ago, nihilloligasan said:

so i got the game, unfortunately i can't install: "the application was unable to start 0xc00007b". tried a number of things such as restarting, running as admin, running in all available compatibility modes, updating, reinstalling and updating directx (including 9c), scanning the disk (no errors), installing aio package, installing all versions of microsoft visual c++, reinstalling the net framework. still doesn't work. i might be fucked at this point, but i'll keep trying.

That's strange. That seems like a pretty obvious solution, but have you tried to redownload the file? Maybe it got corrupted somehow.

1 hour ago, nihilloligasan said:

Trying creating a new user account in your PC and install it from there, see what happens. Usually works most of the time unless your OS is somehow damaged from within... 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:31 AM, Dreamysyu said:
  Hide contents

Speaking of NTR, I'm actually not so sure that it was that necessary, but whatever.

So, I found an older (spoiler-filled) review on vndb forums that kind of explained it. And, you know, it actually makes the game even better. Looks like I didn't completely understand what the whole meaning of Aoi's route was.

You know, I think this actually would be a pretty good game to watch in let's plays, but I doubt youtube would allow it. :makina:

Edited by Dreamysyu

24 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Have looked at how the average vote of Totono has changed on vndb and roughly right before it released in english officially it was about 7.5 while it has now grown to about 7.9.

Yeah, I noticed that. Which is kind of strange, considering that usually the opposite happens. Well, I guess it's true that some people vote on untranslated VNs after only looking at cgs. :makina:

Really like the story and setting so far, seems quite different and fresh compared to other VNs I read. Just hope it won't end up being weird for the sake of being weird though. Yuutarou is best guy for sure.

Just not too happy with the translation so far (or localization if you will) which is quite liberal I would say. At least it does not really change what the lines are supposed to convey (as far as I can tell from voiced lines, please correct me if I'm wrong), but still too many changes and additions for my comfort. Not sure why this is done though, to popularize it for a broader audience or maybe just translator's interpretation? Maybe it's just me but I get danganronpa flashbacks everytime I see these things happening...