Do you play with walkthrough?

JulioInAction

I personally don't use one, I've never used and I most likely never will, I think that's the fun, that's the line that separates VNs from Books. The sense of accomplishment at the end of a VN seeing how my choices affected the outcome is what keeps pushing me forward to play VNs, that's why VNs with a lot of choices, routes and endings in which your choices and actions is what's gonna decide not only the overall plot but also the relationship with side characters is my go-to.

Maybe if after I finish a VN I want to check out the other endings or if I end up losing a save, drop the game and then come back to it later on, I would use one, but that never happened to me.
But even if I just wanted to get back at where I left, I'd rather just play it from zero once again because I would probably choose a different path since as time passes by my personality also changes, unless it was a 20/30+ hours save, but I also reset my 100 hours Persona 5 save just because of the reason I explained up above, so yeah ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I usually stream/record my playthroughs of VNs and I use walkthroughs to ensure I captured all the possible outcomes. It also helps cut down total record time that I would naturally accumulate if I went back and forth trial and error of selecting the right options.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally yes, I have maybe an hour or two a night to squeeze in some gaming or VN time, and I want to make sure I'm doing things "correctly."
That said, I wish I knew in advance what games really "required" the use of a walkthrough. Somewhat recently played through Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative -- used walkthroughs for both and sorta wish I hadn't, as the immersion was broken a bit each time I looked down at the guide(s).

Spoiler

The choices for Muv-Luv were so obvious, and the choices in Alternative were almost irrelevant.

In any event, I'm happy that kinetic VNs exist because sometimes I just want a breezy distraction-free read.