Altruistic VN Protagonist

Nekopie

It’s been several months since I felt so depressed, so I want to change and since I haven’t played any VN in this period, I will ask your help.

I’m looking for a VN where the protagonist has an altruistic behaviour and mindset.

Preferently with the following requirements:

1) Protagonist must actually do something to help others. Merely showing a positive stance is not enough.

2) If there are multiple endings, the true one must show the protagonist succeding in his/her quest. Bad Endings must always be optional.

3) No yaoi/yuri endings/routes. Sorry, but due to personal circunstances, I cannot stomach yaoi nor yuri.

4) If possible, no rape within the VN. Another thing that hurts my self-esteem.

5) I’m fine with Japanese VNs, though I don’t mind EVNs.

Looking forward for your suggestions.

Kono Oozora (If My Heart had Wings) . Pretty lighthearted. One of the more uplifting reads I've read.

Aokana . Another VN about flying. Pretty lighthearted, with some hype flying duels.

Little Busters . Really nails that "bunch of best friends" feel. Has some tearjerker scenes, but no dark themes. Music is really good.

10 hours ago, Nekopie said:

It’s been several months since I felt so depressed, so I want to change and since I haven’t played any VN in this period, I will ask your help.

I’m looking for a VN where the protagonist has an altruistic behaviour and mindset.

Preferently with the following requirements:

1) Protagonist must actually do something to help others. Merely showing a positive stance is not enough.

2) If there are multiple endings, the true one must show the protagonist succeding in his/her quest. Bad Endings must always be optional.

3) No yaoi/yuri endings/routes. Sorry, but due to personal circunstances, I cannot stomach yaoi nor yuri.

4) If possible, no rape within the VN. Another thing that hurts my self-esteem.

5) I’m fine with Japanese VNs, though I don’t mind EVNs.

Looking forward for your suggestions.

First one that comes to mind is Karenai Sekai to Owaru Hana.  The protagonist of this VN is completely altruistic, nearly to the point of madness.  The degree to which he loves the three heroines and his willingness to give of himself for their sake is enough to make me start crying just remembering it.

Evolimit's Shiranui Yoshikazu is definitely altruistic in the greater sense.  His decision as a child after 'meeting' Kokoro, his friendship with Shizuku, his relationship with Ritia, and his choice of how to live in order to be with Kazuha... in all the paths and in the course of the main route, he proves again and again that, under his mild perversion and manzai routine with Shizuku, his first thoughts are always of others.  There are no unavoidable bad/normal endings in this VN.  However, I will say that all the endings have their own flavor.

Nanairo Reincarnation's protagonist proves his altruism again and again at the important parts of the VN, though it is mostly directed at the spirits of the dead.  There are some sad endings to this, but you aren't required to read them, lol.

The protagonist of Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no (Tsukasa) is altruistic in the sense that he tries to be the ideal teacher to the girls of the school, even after he learns what kind of school it is.  This part of his nature comes from his own personal trauma, but it still is his nature.

Natsuiro Recipe is probably the one I would recommend the most for just being restful... the protagonist is altruistic and good-hearted, willing to act for the sake of a girl he'd never met.  The Vn itself is pretty peaceful and cute, which is why it made its way onto my Chicken Soup for the Soul list. 

The protagonist of World Election is altruistic, while not seeming so at first.  He honestly doesn't think of what he does as helping others, merely doing so naturally without having to consider it. 

Lovesick Puppies is the last one I have for this list of recommendations... it is a charage, but the protagonist is fundamentally altruistic, tending to put the wellbeing of others before himself, actually taking action to make it happen.  This can be seen the most in the common route.  This one and Natsuiro are the two most mild on this list.

If you want catharsis, I recommend you hit up Uruwashi no, Nanairo, Karenai Sekai, and/or Evolimit.  If you want inspiration, I'd go for Karenai Sekai or Evolimit.  If you want just to see normal people being normally altruistic, Natsuiro, World Election, and Lovesick Puppies are my recs. 

• 2 months later...