The Outer Worlds

Clephas

Anyone else playing Obsidian's newest game, The Outer Worlds?  It has a feel very similar to the Fallout series (for better or worse) based in a future where the robber barons of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were never reined in.  Similar to the Fallout series, it has a somewhat campy feel combined with an often bloody and horrifying reality... not to mention a nearly-universally brainwashed populace of corporate slaves.

no, but i plan to. so far its gotten high praise from critics and users for its writing and world building. as a fan of fallout: new vegas, the best fallout game, and a fan of knights of the old republic, i was excited for obsidians new ip. has shooty mechanics like fallout and as far as ive heard an improved "vats" system called ttd, or something. and it returns to the same style of dialogue options as new vegas with skill playing a huge factor in dialogue.

i plan to get the game this friday and have high hopes ill enjoy the hell out of it.

I'd love to play it, but I'm waiting for the Steam release, as I hate Epic (even steam is only a necessary evil to me) and want to get away from console (For various reasons, one being that I realized how much the trophy system in the way it's made harmed the enjoyment I get from a game).

7 hours ago, Emi said:

I´ve been playing it a fair bit last few days and i enjoy it quiet abit. far better then fallout 4. cant give much of an opinion on vats as i never use it, never did in the fallout games either.  

anyway, for those interested playing it on pc or xbox. outer worlds is included in xbox game pass. 1$ first month 4.99$ after. cheap way to get to play the game. 

It uses a slow-time mechanic, not VATS... as such, it isn't as weirdly stupid as Fallout is on that end.  I only ever use it when I need to line things up perfectly.

43 minutes ago, mitchhamilton said:

@sarkasmus private division, the publishers of the game are selling it through their site for pc if you want to bypass epic.

Isn't it still just an Epic-Key?

I never heard of them having an own Launcher and I can't imagine them selling a DRM-free installer.

It's not just about my payment information or supporting Epic in any way, I don't want their Launcher on my PC.

31 minutes ago, sarkasmus said:

Isn't it still just an Epic-Key?

I never heard of them having an own Launcher and I can't imagine them selling a DRM-free installer.

It's not just about my payment information or supporting Epic in any way, I don't want their Launcher on my PC.

yeah, looked into it and seems to be a key for epic, which is bull. fuck epic.

theres also the microsoft store. im not sure of the full details but you can play it for a dollar now. full game for a dollar.

Edited by mitchhamilton

10 hours ago, mitchhamilton said:

yeah, looked into it and seems to be a key for epic, which is bull. fuck epic.

theres also the microsoft store. im not sure of the full details but you can play it for a dollar now. full game for a dollar.

Not sure about that 1$ offer, if it's a subscription I'd even rather use epic.

Besides, can you even use the MS Store on W7? I'll have W10 on my new PC around next year but until then I won't change a running system especially since W10 regulary overwrites third party bootloaders with its updates.

ive played about 3-4 hours of it and i love it to death.

i was faced with an actual moral dilemma where i second guessed each choice. choice A was shitty but B was just as if not more shitty. so without getting too deep into it, i had a choice to provide a resource to one or another faction of people. faction A is shady as fuck but B is willingly letting innocent people suffer for their own personal beliefs. now with faction A i truly believe the people of that faction are slaves to their own society but still, it provides comfort for them. they provide food, shelter, protection. faction B wants to force an ideal on to innocent people just along for the ride.

what i love about this is it makes you think about your actions and consequences on so many levels, like so many levels. in the end, i had to go with the less shitty option but i love that the game lets me feel so conflicted. its not just a black and white decision.

combat, nothing really amazing. it works and stuff but meh, nothing spectacular. theres weapon degradation but its very basic. thought about going on the hardest difficulty just for the new vegas like play style but went with normal for my first go. love leveling up just to see what i can unlock next. this playthrough im sort of focusing on everything aside from melee.

i just love, love this world. how even in personal journal entries people have to sell themselves to an idea, where they write advertisements to themselves about their way of life. its something forced upon them by their oppressive leaders. its so cynical but its done so well, its brilliant. might be obsidians best written work.

I completed the game... and my first thought upon completion is that the game needs a new game plus.  To be blunt, starting over from scratch to try the alternate ways of going through the game is too high-stress and time-consuming, lol.  I never did use that Gloop Gun...

8 minutes ago, Clephas said:

I completed the game... and my first thought upon completion is that the game needs a new game plus.  To be blunt, starting over from scratch to try the alternate ways of going through the game is too high-stress and time-consuming, lol.  I never did use that Gloop Gun...

you can try on the hardest difficulty to add some variety

1 hour ago, mitchhamilton said:

you can try on the hardest difficulty to add some variety

That isn't variety... that's just more grinding.  I'm not a lover of survival games.  Normal difficulty is enough of a grind for me.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I've decided to play this after randomly looking up a review for it (I never noticed we had a thread for it already), and I'm so happy with my experience with it. I had tried Fallout 3 years ago after borrowing it from a friend, but I just never got that into it. For someone who just isn't into shooters at all, it didn't sell itself that well to me at the time, although that probably has more to do with my strong aversion to FPS at the time (Halos 2 & 3 were the only ones I even bothered with). Because I was put off initially, I never quite got around to New Vegas, so The Outer Worlds is mostly a new experience for me.

If anyone has had a few meaningful conversations with me, they'll likely know how firmly anti-establishment I am. So for a game that humorously exaggerates corporate greed and influence while setting up a disturbingly chilling premise for the story to build on, I was hooked very quickly. Even though I'm not particularly drawn to this style of gameplay, I had more than enough reason to continue going. I wasn't disappointed at all with how the story's themes played out as I progressed, and I was impressed by the narrative depth and weight behind some of the choices choices you make and the well-crafted skill association that complimented it. It provided for a highly immersive experience.

And because the dialogue system is so rich, it gave me a reason to replay it immediately. In fact, I'll probably play it again a few more times–once to get a more balanced good ending, again to get the joke ending, and one final time for the bad ending. The game has a pretty steep learning curb for both gameplay and dialogue choices (at least to scrub players like myself), so I'm pretty much gonna have to lean on guides from here on out. While I certainly do not regret playing this game blind, I do recall a few instances where I could've made better choices. So now that I've got that experience under my belt, I'm gonna be playing around with a few builds I've found on Youtube to further optimize my gameplay.

With that being said, I do feel that there were a few major detractors that kept this game from being amazing.

While this is most certainly designed well, it is still shy of a proper AAA game. A solid AA for sure, but the experience is bogged down by its limitations in scale, innovation, and storytelling. While the characters are far from boring, they're not terribly interesting, either. I enjoy my interactions with them enough to not want to skip through their dialogue, but that's not exactly pushing any boundaries. I also take issue with the game's ending not feeling as rewarding as I'd have liked, and there wasn't really anything that surprised or excited me. As with the characters, the story was enjoyable enough that I was consistently entertained and interested, but not enough to completely satisfy me. I also think the story should've gone on for much longer than it did due to its dissatisfying ending and wasted potential for an interesting continuation.

For what it does, I'd consider The Outer Worlds an 8/10 game. Keep in mind, an 8 is still a very high score from me considering my tendency to rate most things a 5 or 6. The game is still excellent, and I'm so happy to have picked it up, but I still think there's a lot it can improve on.

While I'd be remiss to downplay the hard work and planning that went into it, it's probably the timing for which The Outer Worlds came out that attributed greatly to its hype. With Fallout fans being utterly deprived from the most recent title's massive failures, it makes sense that they'd be praising Obsidian's rendition to high heaven for filling in the void. However, I think the main detractors that kept it from living up to its hype are mostly attributed to budget constraints as opposed to staff incompetency, so I'm thrilled to see this game performing as well as it did.

I'd also like to see if Obsidian's acquisition by Microsoft will address some of the budgeting issues the company suffers from... and not blow up in our faces later on. Hopefully by now they'll understand the pitfalls of the current high-budget gaming industry and take notice of what makes companies like Obsidian so damn valuable. While the potential for increased creative freedom is there, I'd hate for Microsoft's horrendously greedy practices in the gaming industry to have the opposite effect. Microsoft has made a shitton of dumb choices in the past, but I don't think they could be that shortsighted (especially with the predicament Activision-Blizzard and Bethesda are in).

Btw, this is the first game I've played by Obsidian, and I think I understand why their other games are so well-received. Now that I think about it, I've had a copy of Neverwinter Nights 2 sitting on my shelf for over a decade now... lol. Maybe it's about time I played Pillars, too. :P

And wow, this turned into a really long post.

Edit: Oh gfdi apparently the version of NW2 I have only includes one expac instead of 3. Now I'm feeling like this'll be shelved permanently. :/

Edited by Kenshin_sama