Ouka Sabaki aka Master Magistrate localization is (kinda) available on steam!

novurdim

I'm probably a bit late to the party but I've just noticed that Ouka Sabaki, the novel I kept requesting in surveys, is now available on Steam by the courtecy of some new folks called ShiraVN. If Doddler is to be believed, the TL should be more or less fine so it would be great if they gained a bit more support, poor Magistrate seems to be doing pretty bad for the assumed Ace Attorney: The Eroge right now.

Spoiler

I also remember seeing that ShiraVN have close ties to DMM Games so Magistrate's success (or, well, not a complete failure) just might open up the possibility for a decent official TL of the stuff like IwaihimeRyuusei World Actor or, say, DiGination titles. Though currently it feels more like we are drifting away from those possibilities. :notlikemiya:

Ah, right, there's also a very weird release format and they pushed it out as the Early Access game. Quoting VNDB page

This is a global release of a previously Japan-exclusive game that will include all four main story chapters, each with a complete mystery. The first three chapters, comprising 85+ CGs and 10+ hours of story, are in the game now. When the final chapter is done the game will leave early access, and the price will go up for new buyers.
We want players to be able to enjoy the first three chapters now, and we want feedback from players to help improve the quality of the localization before final release.

We plan to make the entirety of the original Japanese release available to fans in English and Chinese, with the caveat that the post-story content (branching routes after the final chapter) is not appropriate for all ages. That content is planned for sale separately, coinciding with the game's full release.

Sure doesn't look like a wise decision in hindsight. Even though I bought it, even I'm not going to read it in a "three chapters beta" form yet. Oh well, maybe more people will buy a complete version next year (?), who knows, I still have some hope that this will trigger a new player on the market with an actual access to some of the more demanded VNs.

Yeah the early access release format is pretty weird. But I appreciate that Hobibox/DMM want to improve after the Your Diary release which was criticized pretty heavily. So I like that don't give up after that experience and tried again.

The staff from Shira VN also leaves pretty positive impression on discord where they interact openly with fans/players.

Here is the link to their Discord: discord.gg/qBmrqDy

I would really like them to succeed because DMM and Hobibox to have an really interesting portfoilo. It's just that I never been that interested in Ace Attorney even in eroge form, but maybe I will just buy the VN anyway to support them.

Thanks @novurdim for creating this topic!

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

I've played up to most of Chapter 3. For the first chapter I was iffy on the trial systems, but that went away by the second. I was sad the main character is unvoiced, but that's a curse of the VN world. And then Chapter 3 really went and did everything I hoped from the game, so I'm very happy with this.
At this point I'll probably wait for the rest of the game, which should be between half to a third of the complete game.

15 hours ago, novurdim said:

I also remember seeing that ShiraVN have close ties to DMM Games so Magistrate's success (or, well, not a complete failure) just might open up the possibility for a decent official TL of the stuff like IwaihimeRyuusei World Actor or, say, DiGination titles. Though currently it feels more like we are drifting away from those possibilities. :notlikemiya:

I heard pretty bad things about Ryuusei World Actor, so I am not sure that one is worth a localization just yet. But, Iwaihime and other DiGination titles look interesting enough. As for whether we are drifting away from those possibilities... yeah, I kinda feel like that too. This model doesn't seem like a good one to me. Who knows, maybe they prove us wrong in a year or two when it comes out completely, and people buy it in droves, but I wouldn't put my bets on it.

2 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I was sad the main character is unvoiced, but that's a curse of the VN world.

Strange you say that. If I recall correctly, you were fine with no voices in Rance and Evenicle. Or is it only something you are fine with when the title has good gameplay, lore, and story? xD

10 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Strange you say that. If I recall correctly, you were fine with no voices in Rance and Evenicle. Or is it only something you are fine with when the title has good gameplay, lore, and story? xD

I believe I've mentioned this elsewhere, but my problem with a lack of voices is when it's selective. Or, even more specifically, when it's just the protagonist who lacks voices. I'm fine with partial voices or no voices, but going out of your way so that only the protagonist lacks a voice irritates me to no end. There really is no reason for this on games such as this one.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I believe I've mentioned this elsewhere, but my problem with a lack of voices is when it's selective. Or, even more specifically, when it's just the protagonist who lacks voices. I'm fine with partial voices or no voices, but going out of your way so that only the protagonist lacks a voice irritates me to no end. There really is no reason for this on games such as this one.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I agree. Japanese developers do this for "self-insert" purposes (as well as to save costs on hiring one more VA), but I'm more fond of VNs that have all characters voiced, including protagonists. It's a shame, but the way of the industry is such that the VNs featuring voices for the whole cast are in minority.

3 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

Oh, I see. Yeah, I agree. Japanese developers do this for "self-insert" purposes (as well as to save costs on hiring one more VA), but I'm more fond of VNs that have all characters voiced, including protagonists. It's a shame, but the way of the industry is such that the VNs featuring voices for the whole cast are in minority.

It makes no sense here, since the protagonist has a unique design and personality, and plenty of scenes where his entire sprite is on screen, talking.

This is a bloody curse, I tell you!

8 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

It makes no sense here, since the protagonist has a unique design and personality, and plenty of scenes where his entire sprite is on screen, talking.

Didn't read it yet, but yeah, for those kinds of protagonists, it's super disappointing when they are not voiced.

24 minutes ago, Infernoplex said:

16 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I think this is mostly just a tradition at this point. Where are a lot of plotge where not voicing the protagonist doesn't really make any sense, but the developers do it anyway. I guess, they are saving money and think this is okay since everyone is used to it.

~~~~

Anyway, I've never really heard about this game before, but from what I see from vndb page, it looks really interesting! I may actually play it at some point.

I already bought this 1 - 2 weeks ago, but I'll wait for the final release to read it. Can't say I'd miss the protagonist being voiced - I usually switch them off anyway, because they are horrible. There are some exceptions with decent voice actors like Kara no Shoujo 2, but those are rare. And I'm still shuddering from listening just 5 minutes to the protagonist of Yu-No a few days ago. :unsure:

As for MC being voiced, well I guess it's okay as long as it's like Damekoi in that it have Osamu's voice turned off during the sex scenes. Of course it should be obvious that the developer should limit MC's voice to his lines only (I prefer to didn't have the narration voiced if possible, otherwise it'll be like Succubuss Soon). For Ouka Sabaki here, seeing that the developer is still new and this VN is their debut, I believe that they decided to adhere no MC being voiced tradition here. Not that it matter much to me, although of course it would be a very huge bonus if we have Shimei got voiced.

As for Ryusei, I read a review that told the ending is unsatisfying so perhaps I wouldn't interested much with that. And not to mention the writer (Kinusaga Shougo), which apparently was quite infamous in the VN Community so I'm quite wary with his VNs work here. So instead of hoping for Ryusei here, let's just said that I would be very content if Hobibox manage to release Your Diary retranslation patch although it's look unlikely as of now.

Apparently according to Ramaladni's review the fourth chapter length is combined all of three chapters that was available in the early release and that the character routes will be at similar length as fourth chapter, so perhaps we only have one third of the VN being released here. Not that I can't say it's the truth or not seeing that we still didn't have the last two chapters, so hopefully they'll be able to release it along with post-story content that was not appropriate for all ages here (I know they basically will repeat Your Diary scheme here) at 2020 later if possible.