feng is filing for bankruptcy

Satsuki

Just now, Ruberick said:

...but if I extended that argument to regular video games I could see myself having that kind of satisfaction if, for example, a Call of Duty tanked hard enough to make one of their devs go belly up.

That's a different matter. For one, most people hate Activision. We desire their and similar companies' demise. I don't have such strong feelings for VN developers or localization companies (except SakuraGame and their ilk).

Just saying that these strong feelings (either positive or negative) exist towards any company, no matter what they produce. For VNs, other games, movies, etc. this especially rings true, since the goods they produce are allready meant to sweep you along emotionally to some extent. The gap you have to cross there to get an emotionally motivated reaction (of any kind) is even smaller. Not sure if I'm wording that understandably.^^

Edited by Ruberick

Most Japanese VN companies that go under do so because they either misjudge the market or they 'go adventuring' (which adds to the conservativism of Japanese companies in general).  Light's parent company went under because they over-invested in the mobile game Pantheon's development, when they didn't have any in-house experts, as an example.  Other companies have gone under because they failed to adapt when their type or style of game was left behind by the mainstream (a lot of Feng's fellows from the same era fell apart because they couldn't transition from 'pure moege').  Yet others have attempted to enter saturated areas of the market and were unable to ever really get started (for the last half-decade, new charage companies have mostly failed after their first project or have been absorbed by other companies). 

In Feng's case, they were highly dependent on a niche of the charage market known as low-price games.  Their charage were no-frills affairs that had a slightly lower base quality line than is the standard for the industry in general, and with the trends of the last few years, with charage at saturation levels and the fanbase's purchasing power falling slowly, it was inevitable that a company that is barely hanging on will implode at some point.  The low-price charage market has pretty much vanished, as people just aren't as willing to pay for sup-par charage, even at the lower prices.

Well, I hope that all feng's staff can find a job... Or they will go under WillPlus, like it was with Studio Ryokucha (Mirage Soft).

To be honest, I'm really appreciate the effort that devs put into game development, because it's really difficult. And you can understand it only if you create something like that. As a player... it's quite difficult to understand, until you plunge into this hell yourself.

------

I'm more interested in why companies are closing quietly, without any official statements, they simply turn off the official website, and as if nothing had happened. How is it possible?

I just remember situation with Studio Ryokucha - they reopened their site, deleted all their released projects (product pages on site) until Hanikami Clover, then released Natsuiro Koi Uta in 2017, promised DLC and never released that... then... we suddenly heard about Mirage Soft in 2018 with staff from Studio Ryokucha. They released Koi Flag, and then disappeared. WTF...

And then some guy hacked their site and Twitter, and wrote something strange... 

imi wakannai.

------

About feng company... I thought their last full price game "Yume to Iro de Dekiteiru" was well received. But... eh, no? 60mln debt still, they closed in May, but we find out only now.

Well I hope that Sekai still manage to release first Seikii here, seeing that it's not impossible if we see Mangagamer's example with on how they still manage to release Chuuablesoft VNs (Sekai need to search the new party that hold the license). As for me, well it's quite bad situation for them so hopefully the employee will get through the sticky situation here. Other than that, no much comment seeing that the only well known VN that they have is Hoshizora Kakaru Hashi, and even then it's underrated compared to Hoshimemo (The 'Hoshizora' naming here really didn't help at all).

Edited by littleshogun