So the creator of vndb started a Patreon so he can start adding new features that people have been asking for

NowItsAngeTime

27 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

If it works great, don't fucking fix it

As far as I remember, back in 2014 vndb was already the greatest VN resource you could find online, period. Like, the main reason why I even got into VNs to begin with was that I could easily find new stuff to read using ratings and tags. Somehow the inclusion of the staff database in 2015 didn't really break it though? Or am I not aware of something, perhaps?

Oh, and just earlier this year I realized that now you can filter VNs by character traits. Very useful feature if you ask me. Helped me to find a few interesting VNs to add to my wish list. I didn't really notice this little feature breaking anything either.

By the way, the features mentioned in to-do list sound pretty cool. But of course we should forget about ever having them implemented because vndb has already achieved the ultimate greatness and we should just leave it be.

8 minutes ago, Ramaladni said:

Have you guys ever used anidb? Probably not. It's miles ahead of vndb. There are tons of QoL features that could be implemented, instead of us having to use third-party software.

anidb has always struck me as being as clunky as hell...  whereas vndb is fairly intuitive and easy to use.  The only thing I really want them to update is the forum/discussion posting tool.  Using codes for basic word processing functions is annoying.

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

anidb has always struck me as being as clunky as hell...  whereas vndb is fairly intuitive and easy to use.  The only thing I really want them to update is the forum/discussion posting tool.  Using codes for basic word processing functions is annoying.

It can take some getting used to, but it has many awesome features. Custom lists, the ability to compare scores with friends, even check which version of the release they watched. Also image previews, better search filters (or filtering overall), statistics, weighted ratings, the ability to block users, amongst other things.

Look at http://www.visualnovelcharts.com/ or https://vnstat.net/, for example. I'd prefer a website that is slightly difficult to use at first, rather than be forced to use ten different websites to do the things I want.

Edited by Ramaladni

I prefer Vnstat as it's more quick to display tags and images. 60% of time, it's the impression of title image of Visual novel, the rest depends on tags. Apparently appearance of a Visual novel is the most deciding factor behind their popularity. Maybe that's why Moege R super popular. Just cute comedy without any deep story, like https://vndb.org/v11856 will most definitely gain major attention and has huge possibility of getting official English translation, as in https://vndb.org/v12559, even though guys at Vndb complained of feeling disappointed with story, but as it's all cute stuff with giggling girls so, sooner or later it was meant to be translated. It's possible that translators personally favor moege over intense story based VN as they r fun and easygoing and, above all are the anime version of classic Japanese romantic comedy :sacchan:

Edited by alien51

3 hours ago, alien51 said:

I prefer Vnstat as it's more quick to display tags and images. 60% of time, it's the impression of title image of Visual novel, the rest depends on tags. Apparently appearance of a Visual novel is the most deciding factor behind their popularity. Maybe that's why Moege R super popular. Just cute comedy without any deep story, like https://vndb.org/v11856 will most definitely gain major attention and has huge possibility of getting official English translation, as in https://vndb.org/v12559, even though guys at Vndb complained of feeling disappointed with story, but as it's all cute stuff with giggling girls so, sooner or later it was meant to be translated. It's possible that translators personally favor moege over intense story based VN as they r fun and easygoing and, above all are the anime version of classic Japanese romantic comedy :sacchan:

The reason they get chosen for first projects is because they are the easiest to translate... and if you look at the actual percentage of FTLed VNs, plotge are more common, lol.  It is only relatively recently that the percentage of moe-bait games has gone up, mostly because a lot of us vets advise new guys to do the easy stuff for their first projects.

The reason official localizations these days tend to be almost all moege is pretty straightforward... it is easy to get the companies to agree to their localization (little or no problematic content, faster localization=faster profits, etc), it takes less time and a less annoying/expensive/arrogant translator to get the job done, and cute is easy to sell, regardless of content.  At the same time, the limitation of this approach is that there is a much smaller fanbase for pure SOL content over here than in Japan, so it is a lot easier to saturate the market if they localize too many at one time.

6 hours ago, Clephas said:

The reason they get chosen for first projects is because they are the easiest to translate... and if you look at the actual percentage of FTLed VNs, plotge are more common, lol.  It is only relatively recently that the percentage of moe-bait games has gone up, mostly because a lot of us vets advise new guys to do the easy stuff for their first projects.

The reason official localizations these days tend to be almost all moege is pretty straightforward... it is easy to get the companies to agree to their localization (little or no problematic content, faster localization=faster profits, etc), it takes less time and a less annoying/expensive/arrogant translator to get the job done, and cute is easy to sell, regardless of content.  At the same time, the limitation of this approach is that there is a much smaller fanbase for pure SOL content over here than in Japan, so it is a lot easier to saturate the market if they localize too many at one time.

Yup, regardless of story~