Muv-Luv Alternative!

Ryoji

Sorry, but yes, you really should read Muv-Luv first.

The order goes Extra -> Unlimited -> Alternative

Alternative answers questions from the previous parts and builds on its characterization.

Some people hate the first part since they came for sci-fi robot fights and got unexpected slice-of-life high school comedy, but since you liked Key works, you hopefully won't find it too boring and will enjoy yourself!

By the way, have you ever watched the anime Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, aka Rumbling Hearts?

Hm, you don't HAVE to play it, but seeing as it is a sequel to unlimited, it stands to reason you should play the prequel first right?

My personal recommendation is to read and finish through all (that's right, ALL) routes in extra, as well as unlimited before jumping to Alternative. It really enhances the experience since unlike many VN, those routes matter, believe me (I won't spoil anything for you though).

Just as Moekou said, playing the other two first will really builds characterization as well as setting of the story. You will get some references that you might not have gotten as well.

Incidentally, I've played kimi ga nozomu eien and rumbling hearts as well as akane maniax before muvluv, so I pretty much got all of the references and cameo appearances that happened in muvluv. This is why I love age and their VN in how they are all in the same timeline

Sorry, but yes, you really should read Muv-Luv first.

The order goes Extra -> Unlimited -> Alternative

Alternative answers questions from the previous parts and builds on its characterization.

Some people hate the first part since they came for sci-fi robot fights and got unexpected slice-of-life high school comedy, but since you liked Key works, you hopefully won't find it too boring and will enjoy yourself!

By the way, have you ever watched the anime Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, aka Rumbling Hearts?

Thanks for the prompt replies guys. It is much appreciated.

Thanks for the proper order to read them. That would of probably been my next question lol.

Yes I have actually. I actually own the 3 DVD set. Great anime.

Hm, you don't HAVE to play it, but seeing as it is a sequel to unlimited, it stands to reason you should play the prequel first right?

My personal recommendation is to read and finish through all (that's right, ALL) routes in extra, as well as unlimited before jumping to Alternative. It really enhances the experience since unlike many VN, those routes matter, believe me (I won't spoil anything for you though).

Just as Moekou said, playing the other two first will really builds characterization as well as setting of the story. You will get some references that you might not have gotten as well.

Incidentally, I've played kimi ga nozomu eien and rumbling hearts as well as akane maniax before muvluv, so I pretty much got all of the references and cameo appearances that happened in muvluv. This is why I love age and their VN in how they are all in the same timeline

Thanks Saber. Ill have too look for those cameos and references as I read these great VN's

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Wow, Muv-Luv is 30-50 hours!!! Nice. This one is really funny so far.

Muv-Luv alternative is 50+ hours. No wonder people love them so much.

Have fun, this game is really good. I started a few weeks ago, I reached Muv unlimited. Will complete that soon, then start with MLA.

Later the game becomes more action, drama, but still lots of comedy. Really this is one of the most epic VN's there is!

Hm, you don't HAVE to play it, but seeing as it is a sequel to unlimited, it stands to reason you should play the prequel first right?My personal recommendation is to read and finish through all (that's right, ALL) routes in extra, as well as unlimited before jumping to Alternative. It really enhances the experience since unlike many VN, those routes matter, believe me (I won't spoil anything for you though).Just as Moekou said, playing the other two first will really builds characterization as well as setting of the story. You will get some references that you might not have gotten as well.Incidentally, I've played kimi ga nozomu eien and rumbling hearts as well as akane maniax before muvluv, so I pretty much got all of the references and cameo appearances that happened in muvluv. This is why I love age and their VN in how they are all in the same timeline

Whaaaaat, the translator Ixrec said the side rutes were horrible and the unlimited rutes were all essentially the same. I don't see a reason to drag yourself through them when you don't need to. The two main rutes in MVE is sugary enough of moe for me, gonna get diabetes if I took the side rutes too.

Side routes wise i would recommend playing them for the foreshadowing and character development, unless you really can't stand it anymore after just 2 main routes and simply want to gtfo. Personally i played all of them just to see what happens, and at the end i only really liked Ayamine's route, even though the story is rubbishy she more than makes up for it with high-tier trolling lulz. Chizuru was decent but i just hate her as a character, Tama's story also was pretty meh. You might also find it worth it to go see the joke Marimo end for the laughs.

Unlimited barely has any routes at all, everything happens so similarly your choice of love interest is less story-changing than choosing a different starter pokemon. See the joke Yuuko end, pick whichever girl appeals to you more, see the good+normal ends, then move on to the pure distilled awesomeness that is Alternative. Also you might want to see Mikoto's h-scene because it is quite funny.

I didn't play KGNE or any of age's previous titles before this, and i can safely say those aren't really required (though it would still be a useful bonus). One day when i've learned enough Japanese to read those i think i'll go through them and finish Alternative again to relive the glory.

I played the main characters route, meyia and sumika but also Ayamine because I like her character.

If you play the side routes you will recognize some characters later in the other muv-luvs but only play them if you want because nothing will be ruined if you don't.

I kinda liked the first muv-luv game even though many hate it. The only thing that is wrong with the muv-luv extra is Sumika. Sorry but I hate her with all my might, I mostly don't like the energetic evil girls. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed Muv luv alt. 0_0 Completed the game in 10 days, I gotto say that's pretty damn impressive lol. I'll give the game 10/10 on vndb. Man this game is epic. Holy shit. So epic it takes all my free time, thats like... Friggin G senjou no maou my first Vn epic. I do not reccommend other to read it, it will take all your free time. STAY AWAY!!!

I'm like in awe, of the awesomeness.... So epic... O_o man... dude... tripping out.... omhgbbq........ *_*

Just completed Muv luv alt. 0_0 Completed the game in 10 days, I gotto say that's pretty damn impressive lol. I'll give the game 10/10 on vndb. Man this game is epic. Holy shit. So epic it takes all my free time, thats like... Friggin G senjou no maou my first Vn epic. I do not reccommend other to read it, it will take all your free time. STAY AWAY!!!

I'm like in awe, of the awesomeness.... So epic... O_o man... dude... tripping out.... omhgbbq........ *_*

Bolverk did it! Perfectly expressed the emotions of finishing "one of those unforgettable" VNs!

• 7 months later...

Exactly my thoughts. This is the best VN I've played. I was in awe moments in so many different events. Just when you think "oh this is really impressive" and you're shocked ... nope, it just keeps getting better. I even drew a map of how these characters are all listed as blocks and put more blocks from under-neath them and expanded it beyond the paper to a point of where I can't put blocks anymore. Those blocks refer to the "structure" of the development and story.

I cannot put anything into words how freaking amazing Muv-Luv Alternative is and it is the #1 VN on VNDB with the highest scores possible. If I have to put it into words ... Honorable and ... oh god, I'm at loss for words.

I beat the game about a week and a half ago. I'm also a very big fan of KimiNozo and I know the VN is really incredible (the Latest Edition is really good). Just seeing what they did with the parallel world characters (those who played it know what I'm talking about) had me screaming so loud "OMFG NO WHY YOU GUYS DID THIS? <3 YOU AGE!". My family freaked out and thought something bad happened, lol.

Anyways ... this VN doesn't start, literally - it doesn't start until the Coup d'etat Arc begins ... holy fuck ... that, that arc ... oh god. -silences himself-

And yea, those who having played Muv-Luv series, you gotta start from Muv-Luv and beat Sumika and Meiya's arcs in EXTRA, then in Unlimited you beat Meiya (suggested since she plays a big role in Alternative) and then start Muv-Luv Alternative and say goodbye to your free-time, lol.

I don't like Sumika, they didn't develop her character well at all. Alternative did a good job developing it, but there is that hole I couldn't put up with it. My favorite characters are Kasumi and Meiya. You know why I like those two ... You know why! :P

I'm considering play Muv-Luv because Alternative really interests me. Can the people who have played Extra tell me approximately how long the game is?

MLE + MLU + MLA together is about 100 hours.

Extra is about 20 hours (30k lines IIRC).

I'm considering play Muv-Luv because Alternative really interests me. Can the people who have played Extra tell me approximately how long the game is?

Extra should only be like 6-10 hours-ish? You should only be reading Sumika and Meiyas routes since the other ones offer nothing to the main story and are just bad.

Unlimited took me about 10+ Ish hours.

Alternative is 40+

Extra should only be like 6-10 hours-ish? You should only be reading Sumika and Meiyas routes since the other ones offer nothing to the main story and are just bad.

Unlimited took me about 10+ Ish hours.

Alternative is 40+

Extra is only 6-10 hours? With all the people on the Internet complaining about how horrible it is, I would have thought that it would have been at least medium length. I can get through a bad short-length VN easy.

Thank you for your information Wahfuu! Now I know what games I'm going to be playing these days~

Extra is only 6-10 hours? With all the people on the Internet complaining about how horrible it is, I would have thought that it would have been at least medium length. I can get through a bad short-length VN easy.

Thank you for your information Wahfuu! Now I know what games I'm going to be playing these days~

Extra is normally medium length if you do every side route, but you shouldn't. It just is not worth your time.