Fall 2019 Anime Discussion

Dreamysyu

I am curious about Keishichou Tokumu Bu Tokushu Kyouakuhan Taisaku Shitsu Dai Nana Ka: Tokunana since it's written by Higashide Yuuichirou the author of Tokyo Babel and Fate/Apocrypha. Original anime are interesting, since at least they are not just overblown commercials for a manga or LN.

Edited by Formlose Gestalt

Going to watch Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara, Psycho-Pass 3, Fate/Grand Order: BabyloniaBokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai 2Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd SeasonMugen no Juunin: Immortal and probably High Score Girl II for now.

Tbh, apart from continuations, such a weak season. May I just take this time and watch some other things I have in mind, and also start Chihayafuru so I can catch up the third season.

Edited by Noire-

So, I watched the first episode for Honzuki. Well, I had very low expectations, but it still somehow turned out to be worse than I expected. The budget seems to be very low, so I guess it's not a surprise that the animation looks very cheap, there's very little music and sound effect, and the voice acting doesn't sound well directed either. I guess, I still could pretend not to notice all the flaws if the story was good, but I can't really say I like the way they decided to portray the story either. I mean, they even decided to spoil the second story arc right at the start of the first episode simply because they needed to include a certain popular character in the trailer. :makina: So, honestly, I may give the second episode a try, but most likely I'll just stick with the LN. And I definitely recommend you to read it if you're interested in the story, it's actually pretty amazing.

Ps. Though, I guess, the opening song is okay. Not the opening itself, it's basically there only to shorten the episode and make the production a bit cheaper.

Edited by Dreamysyu

I've watched the first episode of the Azur Lane anime as, while I'm a bit ashamed to admit that, I've been grinding my way through the game for the last two weeks. It's surprisingly not scummy for a gacha game and has some serious strategic depth when it goes to fleet and gear combinations. The premise and levels of fanservice though... It's a poor rip-off of shows like KanColle or Arpeggio of Blue Steel, but somehow way more dumb and way more moe (which wasn't something I would consider possible just a little while ago). I was wondering if the anime is going to modify the game's implementation of shipgirls to make it at least slightly less idiotic, but it didn't. The levels of cringe this produces is unbelievable, but it's this kind of magnetic cringe that is hard to take your eyes away from. I'm also kind of impressed just how much of the game's roster they decided to include, there's like dozens of characters there and they tease including even more in future episodes.  So it's kind of awful and kind of a top-tier piece of shameless fanservice for the fans of the game. And I just want to see how much weirder it can get after the bizarre introduction. ^^

So, I watched a few other first episodes. Here's what I thought:

- High-school Prodigies. Honestly, looks like this is going to be just another trashy isekai filled with edginess, cringe and fanservice, so, dropped. I decided to give it a try since I thought the idea could turn into something okay if done well, but couldn't even finish the first episode.

- Dr. Stone. Well, technically it started in the previous season, but it's still continuing, so it's not completely out of place here, right? :nokia: Well, the idea is really cool, but I can see what people meant when they said that it's way too unrealistic even by the anime standards. And I feel like emphasizing with these generic shounen characters will be hard, so, dropped.

- Didn't I Say to Make my Abilities Average? Wait, do we actually finally have a comedy isekai anime done right? :gasp: The thing about this particular series is that it somehow manages to avoid the most generic isekai tropes (like battle harems), while still implementing a lot of other tropes in a way that they don't feel out of place (and makes fun of the same tropes in the process). That's another LN adaptation where I've actually read the source material, and, you know, unlike with Honzuki, I actually liked this adaptation! I mean, I understand that there will probably be a lot of LN reader bitching about how it completely skipped the first arc and that the content of the first episode is mostly anime-original, but, you know, knowing that this will probably be just another 1-cour anime, it makes perfect sense to adapt it this way. Overall, the cast is still likable, the comedy is funny (wait, did they actually call out Truck-kun this time?) and Mile is still a complete airhead. What I personally didn't like is that they skipped some details about Mile's 'abilities' that actually matter in the later arcs, and also that fight at the end of the episode is kind of generic.

Anyway, I'm also a bit interested in Beastars, and I might give another episode of Honzuki a try before I drop it. I also need to catch up with Chihayafuru, but so far I'm going to just binge-watch it closer to the end of the season.

Welp... Watched a few other shows this week, including some new stuff.

- Beastars actually turned out to be pretty decent. Looks like the best new show I tried this season. Definitely going to continue with it.

- Assassins Pride. Hard to say anything so far. Looks extremely cheesy, but also relatively intriguing. Also, surprisingly, this episode was a lot more shoujo-like than I expected.

- Ascendance of a Bookworm. The second episode was a lot better than the first one. Honestly, I can't even really say there was really wrong with it as an adaptation. I guess, the fact that it technically was released a month after the first one matters a lot.

- Didn't I Say to Make my Abilities Average? The second episode left me with very mixed feelings. Overall, it takes the source material extremely liberally, to the point that it almost starts feeling like an original story rather than an adaptation. That's in itself is not particularly bad, of course, but I feel like they mostly skipped everything that made it good to begin with. Strangely enough, it still works somehow, but my hype is mostly gone.

Late to comment here seeing that some anime was already going, but I guess better late than never. By the way for the anime that I'll watch here of course I'll still going with STPC, and as for this season anime probably will binge it later. Keep in mind that my comment here based on the manga for the most part, and I recognize some of the title thanks to my binge of some manga here.

- Average Ability: At first I did think that the people are overworrying too much about the adaptation, but after seeing that both of the director and the main writer work together in adapt Yoake to anime I can see from where the worries come from. In any case while the manga/LN is generally accepted as being good while the anime was quite liberal (Hopefully not change the story too much like Yoake later), the manga is very slow to be uploaded so like it or not the anime is the only way to enjoy this series. I'll probably binged it when the series end, seeing that I like the premise in that we have clumsy overpowered girl from another world make her teammate to be very skillful and form the team (Crimson Vow), and yeah it's very refreshing to see female MC in isekai story.

- Shokugeki no Souma: While naturally people would prefer to adapt the original source faithfully, I think it's the first time when I see an user prefer the anime to have the original ending. Which is very understandable seeing that the original manga final arc was quite a mess, and writing about the messiness here would be very tiring and need a lot of thinking here (I'll try to write my view on that later).

- Ascendance Bookworm: The manga did focused on Myne x Lute too much, but I guess it's integral to their development later. Still want to see adult Myne though, and yeah this is the 2nd isekai anime with female MC here. Will probably binge it later seeing that apparently it's also will adapt the latter chapter as well.

- Choujin: Can I ask Kodaka to write the anime, and can we have eight more Ultimate students along with Monokuma to start the isekai Killing Game? In any case, I'm quite mixed seeing the seven students being the ultimate people like Danganronpa with the MC is basically Nagito Komaeda become prime minister (And less crazy obviously). Other than that the kendo champion one was looks like the samurai girl from smartphone isekai, and the doctor girl is the least develoved character so far (Also have the least interaction with the rest of the members).

- Kandagawa: Saw two episodes, and may as well just watch it for the visual excitement (ie big breasted female) here because it's pretty much that the creator probably asked us for (Make sense seeing that it's handled by Senran Kagura creator). Oh and it's apparently also functioned as game promotion, which at least provide some more contents compared to Wagahigh and Noraneko anime.

As for additional anime, I'll just pass on Overprepared Hero (Maybe because it have another male overpowered main character). The rest I'm quite neutral on that, although Kemono Michi might be good for Konosuba fans seeing that it have same writer (Shigure might be getting along with Kazuma here seeing that they're the same). For new Cooking Master Boy anime, apparently they adapt the second part of the manga so for now I'm just hope that they'll adapt the part that didn't managed to be animated in the first anime.

I guess that's all for what I can say for now.

Edited by littleshogun

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

In any case while the manga/LN is generally accepted as being good while the anime was quite liberal (Hopefully not change the story too much like Yoake later), the manga is very slow to be uploaded so like it or not the anime is the only way to enjoy this series.

Well, I've seen the first several chapters of the manga, and it did take a few liberties with adapting the source material too, though not as many as the anime. Both the anime and the manga skip the entire academy arc (though I've heard that the manga still shows it later in the flashbacks), and overall I actually prefer how the anime handled this skip. The first episode uses the new original story to slowly reveal all the gimmicks rather than trowing the reader right in the middle of the story like the manga did.

I personally was mostly disappointed how Mile's OPness was handled in the anime. Because, you know, Mile is just ridiculously OP, probably even more so than many other isekai protagonists. There's never really any tension in the story, because you always know that she can always beat any enemy in basically just a single hit, but the interesting part is exactly that she prefers not to do that. Her "I want to be average" act is still inconsistent. One moment she makes intricate strategies to cover her strength and make other people stand out instead (even though she often fails), the next moment she just prefers to forget about this and does something ridiculous. Still, the balance between these moments is nice, and it's possible to understand why she acts this or that way if you understand her character. The anime just completely changes the balance towards the ridiculous and OP parts. The good example right at the start of the episode 2 is that (not really that big of a spoiler)

Spoiler

in the LN she actually lost in the swordsmanship challenge, and twice. The teacher still knew that she was bluffing, but it wasn't that obvious for the other students. In the anime... she just one-shot her opponent after he commented on her chest size.

Honestly, I almost dropped the anime at this point.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

You may have meant something else.

That's what happen when I did type this while being sleep and recently play that VN. Sorry for the mistake here, and by the way I mean it as Kemono Michi here (It's already fixed).

As for Average Ability, I would say that apparently the people that Mile one shotted will reappear as the instructor for the test at the end of episode 2 (Good luck for them to being beaten up again later, and hopefully the writer can resist to not write one of the adventurer being stupid by saying Mile have a small breast so we can have the other three (Mavis, Pauline, and Reina) have their exciting one on one match with the team later). Also the only thing that can threat Mile is the elder dragon, and we probably wouldn't have that battle yet (I don't know though if the novel already have Crimson Vow fight the dragon). In any case, I'm probably content as long as the writer can end this properly and not like Yoake, but then again I know on how the staff adapt Yoake very badly was because the VN was already translated here.

Almost forget to say that the manga also have flashback on Mile middle school period, and the anime will add that arc seeing that they already cast three VAs to play as Mile's bullies turned friends in the middle school later.

3 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for Average Ability, I would say that apparently the people that Mile one shotted will reappear as the instructor for the test at the end of episode 2

I wasn't talking about them (they didn't appear in the LN at all) but about that student at the beginning of the episode 2.

4 hours ago, littleshogun said:

the anime will add that arc seeing that they already cast three VAs to play as Mile's bullies turned friends in the middle school later.

They appear in the ending too, so maybe yeah. They might just meet with Mile's group later in the story though.

I even posted here but forgot to pin it! Someone could've reminded me... :P

So... This season looks pretty good! Very much so, actually.

Kemono Michi (3 episodes) - This was the first thing I watched this season, driven solely by the fact that the original author is the same as Konosuba's. Thanks @littleshogun for bringing that up!
Anyway, I like it! I see some people may take an issue with at least the first episode and the main character's obsessive and possibly sexual interest in animals, but I think further episodes toned at least the sexual aspects down.
I found the show to be very much funny, and compared to Konosuba... Well, the dynamics are necessarily different, for one, because Kazuma is a very different type of person to the protagonist here. Unlike Kazuma, the protagonist here is the one lacking the common sense, and others usually act as the straight man. Since it has only just started, it also lacked a consistent cast (though I think that'll change from here on) and Konosuba's gold really came from the cast's interactions, so it is natural that it wouldn't hit the same good points yet. Episode three offered some very promising scenes that probably resemble what's to come, so I'm very much looking forward to this in the future!

Kabukichou Sherlock (1 episode) - A detective show and an adaptation of Sherlock. There's no reason not to like it, and so far I like it, so I'll continue with this.

Oresuki (3 episodes) - It, uh, went in a lot of directions, so if you haven't watched these three, stop reading for fear of spoilers!

Spoiler

So, the premise for the first episode was already interesting, but then they went and completely threw it out by episode 3, changing more or less what the story was about? I've got no idea what they'll do from now on, but what was here was a big ol' mix of funny and relationship drama, and almost reminiscent of Gamers!, except they did the funnier thing and threw the misunderstandings out quickly after they formed. It's definitely interesting and addictive, as well as funny, but I'm kind of hoping they stick to funny in the future where possible. I don't want a repeat of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU season 2 (said nobody but me ever).

For more specific comments, I do like Pansy, I do like the protagonist a lot, and I especially like the wholesomeness of how he really wants to be Sun-kun's friend. Even before the anime spelled it out for us, it was clear to me that Sun > Romance for him.

Cautious Hero (2 episodes) - There's a whole lot of bloody competition this season, so I can't say it wins comedy of the season, but it definitely wins best animation for a comedy! The first time I heard about this title, even before it was announced to be getting an anime, I became super interested because of the way the manga had drawn things, and I'm so so glad the anime did not ditch the style!
The show itself is still super funny, and that is all I really need to have a whale of a time. The goddess's reactions are currently the gold mine, with the occasional ridiculousness of the guy's actions thrown in for good measure, such as

Spoiler

destroying the whole village they'd just saved in an effort to take care of something else he could well have done somewhere else without collateral damage.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun (4 episodes) - The surprise so far. I started it because I liked the character designs, and I felt like it would fit a fantasy/adventure-ish mould that I like. So imagine my surprise when I realised it is doing literally everything that I like! Iruma-kun (aside from his age but Japan's Japan) is everything I've ever wanted from a protagonist. Everything from his general demeanour to his ability to "dodge everything" (a premise I've often dreamt about seeing in a show; and now, finally, here it is! If you know of any other pieces of entertainment with similar abilities, do point me in their general direction) to the course of events of "accidentally win at everything" is all I wanted from a show, so I am ULTRA happy with this.
I hope to god this doesn't fall into the shounen tropes I dislike later on. I can see I can't avoid fights and other such things. Okay. But please avoid getting the protagonist to attempt irrational things and pulling through on willpower alone. Don't make him attempt to do things that others better suited to the job are already tackling just because he can't sit and wait when it's not his turn.
Additionally, try to make it work without adding more abilities to him, or particularly changing them. It always irritates me when someone that's supposed to have no attack power suddenly gains some. :( Don't lie to me and get my hopes up if you're not going to make it work...
I'll see how they tackle it. I hope it continues to be a funny story as it has been so far!

Average Abilities (4 episodes) - The first three were excellent. It was a great comedy story with no particular stakes. As of the 4th, it took a turn for the serious. Comparatively speaking. It's at a point where they could still go either way, and I'm counting on it taking the light-hearted "handwave it away" path.* In short, I hope it continues to be a silly cute girls story with a bunch of ridiculous OP-ness. Pull off another story like Endro~!.
That said, on the off-chance that they tried to take a less original and more serious approach, I decided to read the light novel. I feel this adaptation will be best if they just continue on their own way, and let the light novel's plot be experienced as intended, rather than summarising it in anime format.

Light novel spoilers:

Spoiler

@Dreamysyu is responsible for intriguing me, and I am satisfied with what I have read. This was a good investment.

*I really think they could pull-off the handwavy comedic approach, because that is more or less what the light novel did. Tone up the comedy a bit and let it slide!

On 10/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, Mr Poltroon said:

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun (4 episodes) - The surprise so far. I started it because I liked the character designs, and I felt like it would fit a fantasy/adventure-ish mould that I like. So imagine my surprise when I realised it is doing literally everything that I like! Iruma-kun (aside from his age but Japan's Japan) is everything I've ever wanted from a protagonist. Everything from his general demeanour to his ability to "dodge everything" (a premise I've often dreamt about seeing in a show; and now, finally, here it is! If you know of any other pieces of entertainment with similar abilities, do point me in their general direction) to the course of events of "accidentally win at everything" is all I wanted from a show, so I am ULTRA happy with this.

Oh hey, you're watching this too! I thought I'd be the first to bring it up here, but it seems you beat me to it, lol. :P

Iruma is kinda like cross between the protagonist in Rosario+Vampire (human in a monster school) and Hayate no Gotoku (unlucky chap who gets sold off by his parents), which I thought was a hilarious mix. So far I really like the dynamics of this anime; the art is tasteful and the humor is quite fun, too. I'm glad I gave this anime a shot. ^_^

And of course, I'll be watching the 4th season of Boku no Hype Academia. Last season ended with an absolute bang, so my anticipation for the rest of this season is going to be up there. Nothing terribly exciting so far, but I do like where things are going.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so, we're halfway through the season now, so I'll just leave a quick update here.

Mairimashita Iruma-kun - Last time I commented on this anime, I only watched the first episode, and I'm impressed with how much it improved in the second episode and continued to maintain its enjoyability throughout. The characters are endearing, the scenario writing is on-point, and there are no annoying gags that bog things down. It's not quite the best comedy anime I've watched, but it's definitely up there! I'm really interested in seeing how things develop with Azazel, lol.

Dr. Stone - Still watching this from last season, and it hasn't lost my interest at all yet. I like how the story is able to incorporate elements of scientific development with elements of battle shounen without making a complete mess of it. And seriously, if I had watched this anime as a kid, I might've been more motivated to pay better attention in science class, lol.

Hero Aca 4 - The anime isn't doing anything different from what it usually does, and I am absolutely okay with this. What makes MHA so damn fun to watch is that it takes a simple story and loads it with emotions. For this season, it seems that MHA is quickly setting things up with a heroine whose situation is already pulling on my heartstrings. This is gonna be a real tearjerker.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:45 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I end up barely watching anything this season, but my inner masochist forces me to continue Fire Force... Holy crap this new OP. So insanely bad, and after the first one was so good it feels like a parody or a bad fan video. What is wrong with this anime? 0.o

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I started falling behind after episode 6, and decided to just not catch up, lol. No one in the anime club I joined seems to like it that much, either.

• 1 month later...

So, in the end, I only finished Ascendance of a Bookworm this season. I'm going to catch up with Beastars and Chihayafuru eventually, but I'm not really in the mood so far. Not really interested in any other show from this season at this point.

As for Bookworm, the anime turned out to be really good, though, as expected, not really as good as the original light novel. I mean, they definitely skipped a lot of important little details and scenes, but an anime with limited budget and screen-time would never be able to adapt everything, and they did pretty much the best job with what they had. In the end, it was definitely one of the best isekai anime I had ever watched. I also find it pretty satisfying how much attention it brought to the original series. :sachi: From what I understand, the sales recently have been very good. I hope the second season (which, from what I understand, is already confirmed) gets a bigger budget.