Full results of the September 2019 Japanese KEY character popularity poll for the 20th Anniversary

NowItsAngeTime

On a personal level I'm just glad Kotori has taken her place as #1 Rewrite Heroine, when a previous Rewrite poll that came around Harvest Festa in Japan she was only 4th.

Also to celebrate don't forget to check out these relevant discords:

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

Well, I wasn't really serious when I wrote that, since people's point of view obviously differ. (thankfully, since things would get pretty boring if everyone agreed with each other on everything all the time)
That said, Lucia is definitely my least favorite heroine in Rewrite. I didn't have any issues with her for the most part when she was just up to the usual violent tsundere antics, and her personal circumstances were actually kinda interesting at first, but then she

Spoiler

went homicidal/genocidal maniac for one of the most stupid reasons ever at the end of her route

and that completely ruined my opinion of her.

I should mention that my opinion is entirely based off of the original Rewrite, since I haven't read Harvest Festa and thus have no idea what happens there.

Edited by Seraphim88

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

That said, Lucia is definitely my least favorite heroine in Rewrite. I didn't have any issues with her for the most part when she was just up to the usual violent tsundere antics, and her personal circumstances were actually kinda interesting at first, but then she

Reveal hidden contents

went homicidal/genocidal maniac for one of the most stupid reasons ever at the end of her route

and that completely ruined my opinion of her.

Spoiler

Yeah, the infamous 'Massacre Luci' left quite the impression with me as well. Unfortunately, most people just care about a heroine being cute - her character is negligible.

I guess when Key asked Ryuukishi07 to write her route, they just told him to make her an even more impressive character as Beatrice in Umineko, and he misunderstood it as "Yeah, even more bloodshed!!!". lol

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking about Lucia's route, I did read an interview that apparently Ryukishi expected that KEY will change the route only to be not changed at all. Also apparently the route is what Ryukishi wanted, because he was just encouraged by Baba (The executive producer of Rewrite) to just write what he want. Here's the interview in question if you already finished Rewrite, and the translation credit goes to Ixrec who also the translator for original Rewrite.

Back to the main topic, and what I can say is that it's more or less quite reflect the fans. As for Kanade, I think it might be because of Hanakana here although seeing that Angel Beat is anime first might be causing some voters to have it as their first KEY work and introduce them to KEY. No surprise that Nagisa here is the third place seeing that Clannad is quite well known anime, although perhaps people prefer more action like Angel Beats here. As for Kyousuke, I guess Midorikawa Hikaru here really charmed a lot of voters here with his cool voice and that he's a veteran seiyuu so people would likely recognize his voice and took the liking to it (One of his role is a coolest man who named Sakamoto). Character wise, he's the one who help Riki and thus it make him as the cool character here even though technically he's the male best friend character, and that there's a story reason here. His handsome look help a lot though. Misuzu also doing quite good here, and perhaps it's because of her story here.

I guess that's all for what I can comment in regard of the poll result here, and sorry for being late to the party here.

I thought that Charlotte was unpopular.

I'm surprised that Kotori is so far behind, because I thought that she was very popular among the fans of Key novels.

But my biggest surprise is that Shizuru is at 26th place. I didn't expect her to be in the top 3, but 26th place!!! - That is way behind the damn robot from Planetarian, Fuuko and Sunohara! I don't know if Shizuru can be considered as a loli (It's not my thing) , but I adore her looks and personality. The only notable character behind Shizuru is Ushio, but we have seen her for about 5 minutes, so it's understandable.

P.S. : I'm still waiting for the english translation of Angel Beats!

Edited by Mago Ivo

11 hours ago, Mago Ivo said:

I thought that Charlotte was unpopular.

I'm surprised that Kotori is so far behind, because I thought that she was very popular among the fans of Key novels.

But my biggest surprise is that Shizuru is at 26th place. I didn't expect her to be in the top 3, but 26th place!!! - That is way behind the damn robot from Planetarian, Fuuko and Sunohara! I don't know if Shizuru can be considered as a loli (It's not my thing) , but I adore her looks and personality. The only notable character behind Shizuru is Ushio, but we have seen her for about 5 minutes, so it's understandable.

P.S. : I'm still waiting for the english translation of Angel Beats!

Charlotte overall is lower tier but Nao in general seems popular. As you can see Charlotte has 0 representation otherwise.

I would say Kotori is pretty even with Akane, Shizuru, and Lucia in terms of overall popularity of Rewrite heroines.

There was a previous Japanese-only Rewrite poll released around the Harvest Festa and Shizuru was actually the 2nd most voted (Akane > Shizuru > Lucia > Kotori). If anything I was surprised Kotori got 1st after being so low. Maybe the anime and Ignis Memoria and time boosted her love or her fans are more loyal/devoted.