The Version of OniiKiss released tuesday was bugged

Ryuushi

On 9/28/2019 at 8:23 PM, Nandemonai said:

Most people do not engage online communities.

And shitstorms like this one is probably exactly one of the main reasons for that. :makina:

On 9/28/2019 at 4:58 AM, Shaun said:

I never said I could understand the voiced lines, it's just really easy to tell when the Japanese voice is talking in 3rd or 1st person, it's really unnecessary to not translate it exactly as it appears, it's not a faithful translation if the translator doesn't include a characters 3rd or 1st person speaking, sure you don't find that many visual novels that do that but that is no excuse to change it to not include it.

You know, the fact that these speech quirks can be easily heard in the voiced lines anyway is what makes me wonder why people care so much about keeping them in the written text. Because, you know, the 3rd person speech doesn't have the same implications in English as it apparently does in Japanese, so keeping it would actually be less accurate translation than removing it.

15 hours ago, adamstan said:

For example, instead of "Are you hungry, Aoi-senpai?" you would have "Is Aoi-senpai hungry?".

This reminds me, I believe I've seen some Japanese media fan-translations that do exactly that. :notlikemiya: Honestly, these are pretty much impossible to read, for obvious reasons.

1 hour ago, Toranth said:

If you don't want an accurate translation

The opposite, actually. I want the information and cuteness which was in Japanese kept, rather than completely ignored (oniikiss) or rewritten to something completely else (sanoba witch - conversation about this trait changed to keeping plushies, of all things. Then, it was ignored when it popped up during the most cute scenes in her route). If someone wants characters in a visual novel speak talk like rednecks or chavs, perhaps you should read the high quality EVNs like KFC instead of ruining Japanese media.

On ‎2019‎年‎9‎月‎29‎日 at 5:21 PM, Merkom said:

The opposite, actually. I want the information and cuteness which was in Japanese kept, rather than completely ignored (oniikiss) or rewritten to something completely else (sanoba witch - conversation about this trait changed to keeping plushies, of all things. Then, it was ignored when it popped up during the most cute scenes in her route). If someone wants characters in a visual novel speak talk like rednecks or chavs, perhaps you should read the high quality EVNs like KFC instead of ruining Japanese media.

Except that you said you specific words kept in place, rather than having the correct meaning presented.  That's the opposite of an accurate translation.  Whatever you think you understand about what a Japanese character is saying, you're almost certainly wrong... or you are fluent in Japanese and should read the VN in that language.

Incidentally, there ARE speech styles in Japanese that match up to those used by 'rednecks and chavs'.  Are you saying that you would consider it an inaccurate translation to use those styles in English?

4 hours ago, Toranth said:

Except that you said you specific words kept in place, rather than having the correct meaning presented. 

The specific words are how you express the meaning. You just got examples of two words where the meaning was clearly NOT kept. Cultures are different, and readers understand that. Or do you also freak out about indirect kisses, and how unrealistic they are in our glorious western society? Would you have riceballs change to jelly doughnuts given the chance? References to famous Japanese weapons or historical figures to European legends? Perhaps translators should start acting like actual professionals and start attaching a glossary or preface if they have doubts about the intellect of their audience. I will say this again: Translations exist for the people reading it. Not for the translator, not for the people who can speak the source language. If someone complains about a translation not being accurate - not allowing the reader to experience the same feeling a Japanese reader would - you present him with two options, either suck it up or hit the books. No self-reflection whatsoever.

5 hours ago, Merkom said:

The specific words are how you express the meaning. You just got examples of two words where the meaning was clearly NOT kept. Cultures are different, and readers understand that. Or do you also freak out about indirect kisses, and how unrealistic they are in our glorious western society? Would you have riceballs change to jelly doughnuts given the chance? References to famous Japanese weapons or historical figures to European legends? Perhaps translators should start acting like actual professionals and start attaching a glossary or preface if they have doubts about the intellect of their audience. I will say this again: Translations exist for the people reading it. Not for the translator, not for the people who can speak the source language. If someone complains about a translation not being accurate - not allowing the reader to experience the same feeling a Japanese reader would - you present him with two options, either suck it up or hit the books. No self-reflection whatsoever.

Well, it is quite obvious you can't do any translation.  Also, that you don't understand the difference between localization and translation.

And yet you feel qualified to tell an entire industry, with more than 100,000 full time professionals in the US alone, that what they do is wrong and you know better.

Tell you what - You try that, while I'll stick with the people that have experience know what they are doing.  We'll see how it works out.

I think it is hard to make convincing arguments for either side of the debate. Even among the professional translations you will find no consensus that has been reached, some taking the 3rd person approach, some leaving it out.

Personally I am fine with either, I've seen enough anime and read enough visual novels to know of typical conversational quirks to get the gist of it either way.

If you feel that strongly about either one, you're going to be disappointed at some point either way.

12 hours ago, Ruberick said:

Even among the professional translations you will find no consensus that has been reached, some taking the 3rd person approach, some leaving it out.

This is because translation isn’t a science. It’s not math. We don’t have just one correct way of doing things. Each translator will have their own style, and each one will be equally valid. Of course, some approaches will be more/less common, but you won’t ever see a point where translation turns into an exact science where every single thing has only one stock translation. That just isn’t how localization works. 

And that's why I think that translation is a subjective matter, in that some people wouldn't fully satisfied with the choice. Personally as long as it's not like Your Diary or Sakura Games published VNs, then I'm fine with that (I can always try to endure that kind of translation though).

Edited by littleshogun