Maggot Baits to be released Oct 24th

Freestyle80

Maggot Baits is a weird one for me. On one hand what I know about the setting, the story and the atmosphere seem like something I would enjoy, but on the other hand I have seen some of the CGs and Guro (as in sexualized violence/gore) is something I really don't enjoy. I know there is the option to put some black bars (or something like that) over the visuals but it's not that I can't stomach the violence or gore, it's such just that I don't enjoy guro so that option wouldn't help.

It actually mirrored in the opening:

I really like the music and the general vibe and then in the second half they put some of the CGs in... =/

So in the end I think this release is going to be a pass for me, but I still hope the release is going to be successful for Mangagamer because the Dead Days opening also looks even better and since I haven't seen any of those CGs I still have the hope that I would enjoy that title should Mangagamer ever get around to translate that one.

Can't wait to see the shitstorm. What entertains me though is the fact of the amount of self-entitled fanboys pretending to be capable of swallowing the game. If lucky, MG will maybe recoup the costs but Maggot Baits' hype is insanely overblown.

Speaking of Dead Days, it turned out to be weak and feels more like a budget production. Considering they like to experiment, this is typical for Clock-Up with their ups and downs in terms of quality.

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

Can't wait to see the shitstorm. What entertains me though is the fact of the amount of self-entitled fanboys pretending to be capable of swallowing the game. If lucky, MG will maybe recoup the costs but Maggot Baits' hype is insanely overblown.

Like every Clock Up game basically? Doesn't mean a whole bunch of people won't buy it out of curiousity (I probably will) or buy it and later regret it. Readers actually enjoying the VN is kind of secondary to its sale margins, there's a lot of other factors involved.

Plus, I feel it's more like Kouryuu's pet project and less something MG is hoping to earn major cash from?

9 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Like every Clock Up game basically? Doesn't mean a whole bunch of people won't buy it out of curiousity (I probably will) or buy it and later regret it. Readers actually enjoying the VN is kind of secondary to its sale margins, there's a lot of other factors involved.

Plus, I feel it's more like Kouryuu's pet project and less something MG is hoping to earn major cash from?

Clock Up makes some brilliant games. Not sure what you mean with "every Clock Up game", as only a small handful is localized, and from what I've heard, they all do pretty darn well.
Maggot Baits has a legit good story. It's being hyped up for a reason. I think it's going to sell very well, like Euphoria seemingly did. Not only is the story good, but it also has stunning art, a seriously stellar OST, and the writing, while very disgusting at times, is great. It's overall just an objectively good game. Of course, the extreme content will make it difficult to stomach for your standard reader, and I'd personally recommend you just skip it if you can't take extreme shit, as lots of it is story related.

But despite being like ten steps above Euphoria in terms of extreme, I still think lots of people will buy it, even if only out of curiosity. Of course, I also imagine a lot of those people will regret it pretty fast once they realize just how extreme the game is, but... unless they literally ask for a refund that won't impact sales, lol.

8 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Is there a decent plot in Maggot Baits or is it more or less entirely focused on sex/rape and violence? I'm not into gore and whatnot, but I can stomach it as long as there's an interesting story beneath it all.

^ See what I posted above. Tl;dr, yes, the story is great.

30 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Clock Up makes some brilliant games. Not sure what you mean with "every Clock Up game", as only a small handful is localized, and from what I've heard, they all do pretty darn well.
Maggot Baits has a legit good story. It's being hyped up for a reason. I think it's going to sell very well, like Euphoria seemingly did. Not only is the story good, but it also has stunning art, a seriously stellar OST, and the writing, while very disgusting at times, is great. It's overall just an objectively good game. Of course, the extreme content will make it difficult to stomach for your standard reader, and I'd personally recommend you just skip it if you can't take extreme shit, as lots of it is story related.

But despite being like ten steps above Euphoria in terms of extreme, I still think lots of people will buy it, even if only out of curiosity. Of course, I also imagine a lot of those people will regret it pretty fast once they realize just how extreme the game is, but... unless they literally ask for a refund that won't impact sales, lol.

Yeah, I don't even mean Clock Up games are bad, but I still think the hype around is a bit out of proportions. Like, the clash between the over-the-top praise euphoria get and its reality was pretty drastic to me, even though I generally liked the game. I'm also quite hopeful for Maggot Baits, but I find both the levels of hype around it and Narcosis "you scrubs are too weak for it" doomsaying somewhat funny. Maybe MB will indeed be a few leagues above Euphoria and prove me wrong, but I'll keep my cynical detachment for the time being. :P

And I also don't think it'll sell badly, it's a very rare offering for the Western audience and you should never underestimate the number of fetishists and unhealthily-curious people out there. :D

7 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Yeah, I don't even mean Clock Up games are bad, but I still think the hype around is a bit out of proportions. Like, the clash between the over-the-top praise euphoria get and its reality was pretty drastic to me, even though I generally liked the game. I'm also quite hopeful for Maggot Baits, but I find both the levels of hype around it and Narcosis "you scrubs are too weak for it" doomsaying somewhat funny. Maybe MB will indeed be a few leagues above Euphoria and prove me wrong, but I'll keep my cynical detachment for the time being. :P

I mean, if you're not a fan of these types of games then sure, no reason to get hyped really. But in terms of darkge with story, this is basically the holy grail. There's lots of hype around it for that reason. Other people who know nothing about it might have been pulled in by that hype and just mindlessly hyped it up themselves. Those people will probably end up like Narcosis predicted. But, there is a pretty big following of Clock Up's dark games in the west, and for good reason. They are pretty damn good. If you like dark stuff, Maggot Baits is literally just pure crack for you, so it's only natural you'll be hyped.

2 hours ago, Dergonu said:

^ See what I posted above. Tl;dr, yes, the story is great.

I'll give it a go then! I've been interested in this VN for quite a while, but I've also been a bit put off because there's supposedly some pretty extreme content in it. Euphoria disturbed me less than I thought it would though, so hopefully I'll be fine in this case as well.

I'm still kinda 50/50 on this one. I love the art style and the OP song, but I wonder how much the violence will affect my enjoyment. I've never read Euphoria mainly because I had already seen the h-anime. How much worse was the VN compared to h-anime? The h-anime seemed fairly tame IMO. There is a h-anime called Kowaku no Toki its based off a VN though I've never read it which is the only h-anime I've seen where some of the violence actually bothered me a bit(to be accurate only 1 scene hint:skull). Anyone know how this VN compares to that h-anime in terms of violence?

13 hours ago, Codesterz said:

I'm still kinda 50/50 on this one. I love the art style and the OP song, but I wonder how much the violence will affect my enjoyment. I've never read Euphoria mainly because I had already seen the h-anime. How much worse was the VN compared to h-anime? The h-anime seemed fairly tame IMO. There is a h-anime called Kowaku no Toki its based off a VN though I've never read it which is the only h-anime I've seen where some of the violence actually bothered me a bit(to be accurate only 1 scene hint:skull). Anyone know how this VN compares to that h-anime in terms of violence?

Kowaku no Toki is a pretty dark hentai, sure, but Maggot Baits is much worse. The scene towards the end in Kowaku that you're thinking of is basically a more tame version of how 90% of the H in Maggot Baits is. So it might be a little much for you if Kowaku no Toki bothered you.

Well congratulation to them for finally managed to release this. While the context still not what I'm interested with seeing that it's quite disturbing (I may check this if I'm in the mood), I like that the opening here is in English and that Clock Up did manage to recruit a foreigner to sing the opening song (Apparently all of the band members is American, although I might be very wrong on that). I guess I can always praise the opening for Clock Up VNs here seeing that it's quite good despite the content, although other than this I only hear euphoria though so I can't say for sure.

Edited by littleshogun

On 2019. 09. 27. at 5:15 AM, Black99 said:

I think I'm the only guy that enjoy the torture scenes, maybe I developed sadism over years of consuming hentai. :wafuu: I remember that I watched the OP for first time (2015 I think) when was released, it was "wow" and "wtf" for me, but now is :Chocola:  Finally the waiting has ended. 

You arent alone, I am a sadist too.

I really do hope that Maggot Baits will be better experience than Euphoria(quite tame for my taste) was, I dislike the fantasy(Fraternite would have been my preference)  setting but can forgive if the game delivers lot of torture and gore, so pre-ordered, we need more games like this on west. 

12 hours ago, Swim Swim said:

You arent alone, I am a sadist too.

I really do hope that Maggot Baits will be better experience than Euphoria(quite tame for my taste) was, I dislike the fantasy(Fraternite would have been my preference)  setting but can forgive if the game delivers lot of torture and gore, so pre-ordered, we need more games like this on west. 

I wonder what would be the next Clockup title in English and agree, we need more games like this. 

I have been waiting for a very long time to see that news. 

I have been purposefully avoiding looking at opening movies, CGs and any plot summaries of the VN. I want to experience everything for the first time when I play it.

I love euphoria very very much, it's one of my all time favourites (along with Fata morgana no YakataClannad and Steins;Gate)

If Maggot Baits is even half as good as euphoria, I'll love it.

Edited by Mago Ivo

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Mangagamer's CEO Koryuu (Also Maggot Bait translator here) post in regard of the disturbing contents that you can find in this VN, and beware that it's quite a number here. Also yeah I'm quite late to post this.

Maggot Baits - Content Advisory

While it's not a secret that Maggot Baits here is containing the disturbing contents seeing that it's from the same company as euphoria (Which already infamous enough with disturbing contents), the post should be helpful in case that someone stumbled this VN and somehow thought that it's very cool VN without knowing that it'll contain disturbing contents. I know the chance for that is very small if not almost none, but you never know.

Edited by littleshogun

On 10/14/2019 at 11:43 PM, nihilloligasan said:

some of these things sound absolutely wild. i can't believe there's bible verses and marijuana in this game, wtf, i might not be able to handle all this crazy shit...

It's a good thing they warned us of the bible verses, I'd probably go up in flames if I read one.