My VN Fan Translation projects participant survey! (Work in Progress – need feeedback!)

Plk_Lesiak

Hey there good people!

I'm working on a survey targeted to former and current participants of VN fan translation projects, as a secondary source for the academic project I'm working on (both the conference thing I mentioned in the past and, more broadly, my possible new PhD project). It's a simple survey, mostly aimed at gathering general info on people working on FTLs and their connection with the official localisation scene. It's also a pretty early draft, but because I suck extremely hard, I barely have any time left before the conference and have to push it out and gather some data ASAP.

So, outside suggestions about general structure of the questionnaire, any mistakes I could've made and suggestions for more questions worth asking, there are two areas that probably need major attention:

1. Typical roles performed in fan translation projects

2. Typical positions people with experience in FTL can hold in official VN localisation companies

Here's the link to the test version: https://survs.com/survey/yc1c5n68wz

I don't need serious answers at this point, just feedback, so be sure to mess with the questionnaire to your heart's content. Also be aware that answering filtering questions (like the "did you ever participate in VN FLT project?" one) negatively can quickly transport you to the last page, so while checking stuff, answer everything positively. You can leave feedback here, or if you're lazy, leave it in the last question of the survey. I'll find it either way.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Keeping the unironic response separate

X44yAmK.png

Translation corrector / TLC is usually "Translation checker"

You combine the editor/proofreader checkbox. These are not the same, not even close! If they are close your project has problems! I realize a lot of projects are garbage but still!

The "proofreader" position is usually known as QA/QC and generally also involves testing.
--
VE23HW4.png

From what language you did directly translate this from?

--
okf9w2e.png

even -> ever
--

24opRSL.png

Flan Tanslation

--

04J4sWG.png

This is unironically a 'genre' of translation which gets forgotten a lot imo. Many of my friends translating eroge also have some ero doujinshi tl experience. Doujinshi is generally considered not the same as manga, and part of it is that you get a lot more oneshots and a lot less pages per release plus no expectation of releasing monthly new chapters etc. The scenes aren't that strongly connected in my experience though I'm not an expert

--

NS1iKK1.png

Same sentence structure weirdness as 9

--

xm4L7xS.png

If you mean in Japanese for this question my answer changes radically. Additionally, this does nothing to count EVNs read

--

43uRj7h.png

Manga
Manga
did you forget LNs? lol

31 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

This is unironically a 'genre' of translation which gets forgotten a lot imo. Many of my friends translating eroge also have some ero doujinshi tl experience. Doujinshi is generally considered not the same as manga, and part of it is that you get a lot more oneshots and a lot less pages per release plus no expectation of releasing monthly new chapters etc. The scenes aren't that strongly connected in my experience though I'm not an expert

How do you think I should include it? Simply as "Doujinshi" or...?

35 minutes ago, Zakamutt said:

If you mean in Japanese for this question my answer changes radically. Additionally, this does nothing to count EVNs read

Yup, rephrased that and added a separate question about EVNs. As this is explicitly about JPVN fan translation, they kind of barely factor into this. I was on the line whether to include them at all, so the question was purposefully just about Japanese ones.

Anyways, thank you for feedback. I'll get to rephrasing those two other questions tomorrow. Believe it or not, they sounded even more awkward a few edits earlier... :P

I think "Doujinshi" would work, yeah. There technically are non-ero doujinshi that are usually not that far off from doujinshi, so no need to prefix it even if ero doujinshi are probably much more commonly translated. If you want to be extremely, autistically correct then doujinshi once referred to independently published poetry rather than what people would think of now (there's a joke in SZS about this), but nobody's going to think of that first. For even higher level autism, consider that there's also ero manga, which is generally a series with more of a story arc. But you could probably just count this as either manga or hope they click other or whatever.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Being the oldest bastard here my answers will easily be traced back to me but I'll do it anyway. I guess I wasn't really employed professionally at the time I did any fanTL projects as that came afterwards.

When the proper version of the survey goes live I'll share it everywhere I can, so it'll be hard to trace the answers to anyone in the full mass of it (hopefully). Plus only I will have the access to the database and will only share summary results, so there's little to worry about in this regard. :)

6 hours ago, Ramaladni said:

http://prntscr.com/p9lcxg

Well...kinda stuck here.

Yes, I didn't setup the right skip logic for this one. Thank you for pointing it out. :)

8 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Oh... I filled it out seriously :( Lots of wasted meme points right there.

I hope you'll find the strength in you to repeat this feat when the real one kicks in a few days from now. ;)