Updating a new VN with a translated old version possible?

Hello. I hope this is the right place to ask, I am having a bit of a problem and I hope you guys can help me with it. I have an old NTR VN (NSFW: https://www.dlsite.com/ecchi-eng/work/=/product_id/RE132981.html) which has already been translated in the past. I have the english patch as a .xp3 file and apart from a few translating errors it works without a hitch. The VN I am talking about has been updated with a higher resolution, nothing else has been changed by the developers as far as I can tell. Here is the link for the new updated version: http://www.dmm.co.jp/dc/doujin/-/detail/=/cid=d_154308/summer-001

I want to update the new version with the patch of the old version. If all else fails I want to extract the .xp3 of both versions and copy paste the text from the translated version into the new version.

This is the folder structure of the old version:

zpGMrUz.png

this is the folder structure of the new version:

B2xY5hz.png

Both folders have a patch.xp3 which I assume contain the actual text of the game. I copy pasted the translated patch into the new folder and started the game. It loads into the main menu but as soon as the game starts it gives me this error message:

mk9Whgl.png

Now as far as I know wide strings get used with special characters like kanji, I assume the game expects a kanji but gets a regular character? I guess copy pasting the old patch is not going to work here so how can I "translate" this VN? I tried extracting both patch.xp3 files but I get errors using krkrextract. I assume this is using a newer game engine?

TLDR: I want to unpack the translated old version, copy the text and paste it into the patch.xp3 of the new version.

I am grateful for any kind of help

I managed to extract the text from the translated version with crass. I got a whole bunch of .ks files with the translated text in english which is exactly what I needed.

Problem is, crass did not work with the patch.xp3 of the new version. I extracted the data.xp3 from the new version and got a lot of data. Pictures, sound and the above mentioned scenarios (.ks files). The .ks files I extracted from the new version only show gibberish when I open them with notepad++ though. Also, the pictures aren't working either. It says the file format is unsupported. Doesn't open with any picture viewer.:wacko:

So what I have is a fully translated VN but I can't seem to unpack the new version of it.

Some games do self restart after the user launch, maybe to prevent injections like the krkrextract or to enforce command line arguments, this can be your problem.

If you confirm this is your problem, you can use the x64dbg to force the game load the krkrextract
If you aren't a developer is better ask someone to do this to you, but I can try do a small tutorial if you are sure this is your problem.

Anyway, about your question the answer is maybe, If you are thinking in just copy the scripts between versions, this probably don't will work (isn't impossible as well, but I doubt it).

To update the translation, the proper way is export the script translation to the new VN, but we can do this only if the translation of the old game have the same amount of lines in the old version untranslated scripts.

Basically, the way to update the translation that I like do, is more like a 'export/import' than a 'update', 
What you will do is create a 'diff' of the japanese and english dialogues and apply the english translation
in the new game using the japanese line as reference.

This can be do automatically by 2 tools that I created before, first one my TLBOT and or this my TL Importer, the TL Import is more easy to use but more hard to setup, while the TLBOT isn't in english and isn't created to do this, then it's more complex to use.

The good point in use the TL Importer since he is created to this he will log all dialogues that exists only in the new version of the game,
Then you can translate only the new dialogues and import that already exist in the old game.

Edited by marcus-beta

I have no idea how to use x64dgb. I used GARbro to extract the data.xp3 and it has a folder called scenarios with the needed .ks files I have to replace. Problem is I can't open them with notepad++. It only shows gibberish. I can open the already translated .ks files from the english patch patch.xp3 though and it shows all the dialogue in the game.

I can't open any image files from the data.xp3 either. They show up as unsupported. Is it because of some sort of encryption? How can I circumvent this? There are CG galleries of the new version online so it is obviously possible.

Edited by weirdfetishguy