What interesting story focused otomes are out there? (English)

ChaosRaven

Since I enjoyed both Hakuouki ~Shinsengumi Kitan~ and Nightshade quite a bit, I'm wondering what other interesting otome titles are available. While I'm usually adequately informed about bishoujo titles, both in English and in Japanese, the same can't be said for otome titles. Though, even if I do read japanese titles as well, I'd prefer to stick to translated titles for now. I've already read Ozmafia as well, but that was a bit of a so so experience.

I think I heard that some translated otome titles are only available on Switch, but since I'm PC only they aren't an option for me. I don't mind if they are mentioned though, since they might get available in the future like Hakouki. I'm mostly interested in historic or alternative history settings, but as long as it's interesting I'm rather open minded. Currently, I just want to get a bit of an overview what potentially interesting otome titles are available in English.

Edited by ChaosRaven

Outside of the Japanese stuff Onorub mentioned I think the stuff but Cheritz (Korean company) and some EVNs are worth mentioning. Primarily:

Dandelion

Nameless

Cinderella Phenomenon

(Arguably) Cinders

Mystic Messanger is a mobile game by Cheritz, but one that is widely considered very interesting structurally and not particularly scummy when it goes to its business model.

4 hours ago, onorub said:

I heard good things about Code: Realize and Collar x Malice is even higher rated. Both are Otomate and therefore reek of quality. Too bad they are not available on PC. Though, considering Otomate doesn't seem to hate the PC as much as they used to be, there might still be hope.

Ayakashi Gohan (translation is a little unpolished though)

Hmm, not really sure what to think of this one. The art is kinda weird and while its tagged as mystery, it looks more like slice of life.

Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk (has references to Black Butterfly, but they're fairly separate from each other)

I think this nails my taste: Medieval fantasy, gothic romance and strong protagonist - what's not to like?! It's tagged as utsuge though, which makes me a bit worried. Nothing against bad endings, but I hope it has good ones as well. Art style is a bit unusual, but I'll certainly check this out. It's an Otomate VN available on Steam - there aren't that much of that kind. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Not really sure what to make of this one, but it reminds me a bit of... the Fruits Basket anime?! 

An original korean visual novel - how unique!? It looks pretty decent, although the backgrounds are a bit rough. I'm a bit troubled by the whole highschool theme though - I wanted to avoid exactly that.

This looks and sounds pretty good. It's an OELVN - how unexpected! And it's even higher rated than Heart of the Woods. I think I'll keep an eye on that one. Definitely looks like something for me.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

I don't know, something about that art style ticks me off. <_<

Mystic Messanger is a mobile game by Cheritz, but one that is widely considered very interesting structurally and not particularly scummy when it goes to its business model.

Yeah, it certainly looks interesting. It's unfortunate that it's not available on PC.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Steam Prison. I enjoyed this one thoroughly.

Yes, I had my eyes on this one already. It looks interesting, but Dreamysyu wasn't so fond of it apparently. It's higher rated than MangaGamers previous title Ozmafia though. I think I might pick it up if it's reduced in their upcoming sale.

Thanks all for the suggestions. :mare:

14 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Yes, I had my eyes on this one already. It looks interesting, but Dreamysyu wasn't so fond of it apparently. It's higher rated than MangaGamers previous title Ozmafia though. I think I might pick it up if it's reduced in their upcoming sale.

I initially had a poor impression of the characters and interactions. That issue was resolved the longer I played.
That said, I believe the strength of this title is how much it explores the setting. Instead of telling us a single story, it lets us explore 30 different ways things could've gone. On this aspect, I can think of few games similar on this scale (Cinderella Phenomenon, also quite good, is one of them).

8 hours ago, Zakamutt said:

Sanzen Sekai Yuugi is literally a chuuni otomege. With ero. I'm not sure if there's anything else like it.

Probably nobody will ever translate it officially because expensive voices or whatever, but who knows, maybe I'll do it by 2030 or so.

I actually remember having that seen before. Mainly because the protagonist is a super hot chick. Along with PersonA ~Opera Za no Kaijin~ it's one of the two Japanese otomes with ero I'd really like to see translated sometime.

I am very poorly experienced in otome sub-genre but one title was quite memorable, cause of it's opening (it basicly bought me with it years ago)

Amnesia: Memories

It's very, very, cheap on Steam during sales also it's from Otomate. Nothing else comes to my mind. I have titles that you mentioned on my wishlist btw.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Saosin

12 hours ago, Saosin said:

Amnesia: Memories

It's very, very, cheap on Steam during sales also it's from Otomate. Nothing else comes to my mind. I have titles that you mentioned on my wishlist btw.

This seems to be extremely popular on Steam. It has almost 1700 reviews - that's very unusual. :o

And it's dirt cheap even without a sale - just 8 €. Since it's also from Otomate, I'll certainly keep an eye on that.

Edited by ChaosRaven

3 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

This seems to be extremely popular on Steam. It has almost 1700 reviews - that's very unusual. :o

And it's dirt cheap even without a sale - just 8 €. Since it's also from Otomate, I'll certainly keep an eye on that.

It has anime series as well, so yeah it is rather known.

Late to the party here. If you want some strong woman as otome MC, then perhaps you can try Second Reproduction in that it's also have alternate history setting. Also if you want Alice Allusion perhaps you can try Alice no Kuni,and if anything at least it didn't have problem like one man dub all the heroes or there'll be a nickname called 'Katakana Alice'. I hope my recommendations here will be helpful to you.

Edited by littleshogun