Site Work Failed, But We Didn't Die

Ugh. Still more roadblocks. Need to get an as-yet unknown password from Nay in order to get this sucker changed. For now, please enjoy the mess of a forums we've got, and dream of the forums we will probably never one day have.

< 3 - Tay

You can dismiss this alert by clicking on the "X" button

littleshogun

Aokana Release by Nekonyan [UPDATED]

Aokana Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best girl?

• Kurashina Asuka
    • Tobisawa Misaki
    • Arisaka Mashiro
    • Ichinose Rika
  2. 2. Which girl that have best route?

• Kurashina Asuka
    • Tobisawa Misaki
    • Arisaka Mashiro
    • Ichinose Rika

I meant how in Misaki's route, Asuka, Rika (at the end was Oh, you're all lovey dovey still?) and Mashiro all just sort of accept that Misaki and Masaya are in a relationship without any surprise or question bombardment. Although I guess when Masaya makes a choice to go and coach only her, it became sort of obvious and thus not really needing any SoL moments afterwards, I'm just use to having the other cast go and toy with the new couple a bit more. I was wondering if it's similar to that in the other's routes, as they just sort of accept it and there's no shock. In Misaki's route, the only one that had the sort of response and such was Minamo making Misaki drink that protein shake. I'm guessing no as it kinda seems Sprite focused more on the main subject of the VN [here, FC. in Love and Choco, the election (that I've read as far to) and the couples romance instead of splitting it with the supporting characters once you get into a route.]

Just now, MFrost said:

I meant how in Misaki's route, Asuka, Rika (at the end was Oh, you're all lovey dovey still?) and Mashiro all just sort of accept that Misaki and Masaya are in a relationship without any surprise or question bombardment. Although I guess when Masaya makes a choice to go and coach only her, it became sort of obvious and thus not really needing any SoL moments afterwards, I'm just use to having the other cast go and toy with the new couple a bit more. I was wondering if it's similar to that in the other's routes, as they just sort of accept it and there's no shock. In Misaki's route, the only one that had the sort of response and such was Minamo making Misaki drink that protein shake. I'm guessing no as it kinda seems Sprite focused more on the main subject of the VN [here, FC. in Love and Choco, the election (that I've read as far to) and the couples romance instead of splitting it with the supporting characters once you get into a route.]

Ah, well yea Misaki's route does have the least involvment of other characaters in that regard.

3 hours ago, Silvz said:

guys, pleeeease, use spoiler tags

I haven't read Mashiro's route yet but now I know how it is...

Ah, I'm really sorry. I'm not sure how to do that, but next time I'll make sure not to spoil. It was just hard to explain, though it seems that's not the answer the person was looking for. Really sorry =(

14 hours ago, aliciarune said:

Ah, I'm really sorry. I'm not sure how to do that, but next time I'll make sure not to spoil. It was just hard to explain, though it seems that's not the answer the person was looking for. Really sorry =(

Does anyone know if there's a post somewhere that explains how to do things like spoiler tags?  I've been trying to figure out how to do them (along with a few other things that I see other people doing), but I've gotten nowhere with it.

Just now, GXOALMD said:

Does anyone know if there's a post somewhere that explains how to do things like spoiler tags?  I've been trying to figure out how to do them (along with a few other things that I see other people doing), but I've gotten nowhere with it.

You select the text you want to hide, and click "eye" icon in the toolbar of the text box.

fuwaspoiler.png

Spoiler

It turns the text into this

14 hours ago, aliciarune said:

Just now, GXOALMD said:

Though there is no such post (I believe there were some, at one point) now, I'll see about either finding an old one or making a new one explaining the editor.

For spoiler tags, all you have to do is click the eye icon in the editor.
Whenever you type a reply, you are doing so in a box, and at the top left there should be an icon that looks like an eye. If you hover over it, it'll display a tooltip saying 'Spoiler'. That is the button you need to click.

Spoiler

It'll make a huge box appear, which you can type in.

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

You can only do it on the desktop version of the site, though. The mobile version is missing a bunch of formatting options, including spoiler tags. (which has annoyed me on several occassions)

You can still use BB Codes though! That's what I do when I'm using a phone. For spoilers you need to use

[spoiler]Put the text here[/spoiler]

I actually tried that once, but it didn't work so I had to edit my post. Might have just been a temporary technical issue or some such nonsense though, so I'll give it another go the next time I'm browsing the site on my phone!

So I just finished Misaki's route and now I really have to ask the people who liked it why they did.  This is probably going to sound like a rant (maybe it is a rant) but I do genuinely want to understand what I'm missing. (Major spoilers for Misaki's route, minor spoilers for Rika's and Mashiro's routes.)

Spoiler

So one thing that I find essential in this style of vn is building sympathy in the reader for the characters.  The common route gives us brief glimpses of Masaya's past to create at least a vague sense of sympathy with him.  Of the three character routes I've read so far, creating sympathy for the heroine's is done the best in Mashiro's route by telling chunks of the story from her perspective and having her go through emotional struggles that almost everyone (if not everyone) goes through at some point in their lives.  Rika's route also does an effective job of building sympathy when Kurobuchi effectively forces her into the role of a victim through no wrongdoing of her own.  Needless to say, it came as quite a surprise when Misaki's route botched this key component.  Early on in the route we get a somewhat more detailed look at the trauma Masaya suffered which promptly snuffed any sympathy that had built for him.  This probably could have been taken in an interesting direction, but instead the novel places Misaki in the same boat as Masaya and expects the reader to copy their (now nonexistent) sympathy for him on to her.  The novel does go through several attempts to repair this mistake starting at the end of her first episode, but it just happens too slowly given how far into the route it starts.

If you went into Misaki's route already fond of her, go ahead and skip this paragraph.  To understand my next complaint I have to preface it by saying that Misaki is easily my least favorite main heroine, maybe even my least favorite sprited character in the novel.  Typically when a character I don't like has a character route, the route will either have them grow as a character in a way that makes them not awful, or the plot of the route will leave you so heavily focused on only the good aspects of the character that their negative attributes don't detract from the experience.  I bring this up because I was disappointed that not only did neither of these happen, but I'd go as far as to say that the opposite of each did.  With regards to the first issue, for a large chunk of her first episode, she adopted a whiny attitude that only made me like her less.  The second issue however proved much more problematic; the novel heavily embraced how annoying Misaki is, going as far as specifically referring to her as annoying many times.  This would be fine if she was only annoying in universe, but the fact that reading about her and reading her lines is annoying means that the novel is actively pointing out it's own flaws.

Near the end of her first episode it's revealed how she fits into Masaya's past.  By the time this reveal comes around, anything good about Misaki has been thrown away and she's become this completely contemptible character.  With this reveal it finally hits me where this route is headed as I thought to myself, "Of course, they made me hate Misaki so that she could be the antagonist of her own character route.  No wonder people love this route.  A story of friends turned enemies that concludes with them ending up together after working out their issues in the climax, that's going to be awesome."  Needless to say, I was again disappointed when this didn't come to pass.

I have a few other smaller complaints as well:

Between everything listed above and their borderline codependency their relationship is believable but neither romantic nor interesting.  Additionally, Masaya has this whole internal conflict thing happening on and off that just doesn't matter because the novel gives the reader no reason to care.

I understand that in universe people involved with FC don't really get this whole "strategy" thing, but taking over an hour of novel to come up with the immediately obvious solution of fly upside-down was pathetic even by the in universe standards.

The novel has a semi-strict structure with the first episode of a route being to introduce the conflict and initiate the MC x Heroine relationship and the second episode being to for the characters to grow and eventually overcome the conflict.  While I'm all for strict narrative structures, it doesn't work well in this route as the second episode goes on and on and on. (While I don't blame the novel for this, having my mouse break while reading the episode really drove home just how long I had been bored for.)

As a final nitpick, again focussing on the structure of the novel, every other heroine has two h-scenes, why does Misaki have three?  You couldn't bend your own rules to make your narrative flow better but you could do it to add more fanservice?

Pretty much everything from the first scene on the beach at the tournament onward was good.  Most things managed to line up at about that time.

So am I missing something or is this route just not for me?

10 hours ago, GXOALMD said:
Spoiler

"Of course, they made me hate Misaki so that she could be the antagonist of her own character route.  No wonder people love this route.  A story of friends turned enemies that concludes with them ending up together after working out their issues in the climax, that's going to be awesome."

Spoiler

Yeah, that really felt like a bit of a missed opportunity. Considering how much that experience from his childhood influenced Masaya's life since then, he sure accepted everything pretty easily as soon as it was revealed that Misaki was the person he met.

Just out of curiousity, did you figure out the "Misaki was the boy" plot twist in advance? I started thinking that was the case pretty early on due to some not so subtle hints (like how her flying style reminded Masaya of the boy), so the reveal lost any impact it otherwise could have had.

7 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, that really felt like a bit of a missed opportunity. Considering how much that experience from his childhood influenced Masaya's life since then, he sure accepted everything pretty easily as soon as it was revealed that Misaki was the person he met.

Just out of curiousity, did you figure out the "Misaki was the boy" plot twist in advance? I started thinking that was the case pretty early on due to some not so subtle hints (like how her flying style reminded Masaya of the boy), so the reveal lost any impact it otherwise could have had.

Spoiler

I figured it out before the reveal, but not until I was a little ways into this route.  I probably would've figured it out during the common route, but ever since I first watched the "Crossing Way" OP I assumed either Saki or Shindou would be that character, and then Saki's one line in the common route (I don't even remember what it was) pretty much had me convinced she was the cause of his trauma.  The first time I even considered it might not be one of them was during his flashback at the start of this route.  That said, once I did figure it out, I did not expect them to reveal it so early in the route.  It seemed more suited to be revealed near the climax of the route, which is why I jumped to the conclusion that I did after it happened in the first episode.