• Tobisawa Misaki
    • Arisaka Mashiro
    • Ichinose Rika
  2. 2. Which girl that have best route?

• Kurashina Asuka
    • Tobisawa Misaki
    • Arisaka Mashiro
    • Ichinose Rika

I meant how in Misaki's route, Asuka, Rika (at the end was Oh, you're all lovey dovey still?) and Mashiro all just sort of accept that Misaki and Masaya are in a relationship without any surprise or question bombardment. Although I guess when Masaya makes a choice to go and coach only her, it became sort of obvious and thus not really needing any SoL moments afterwards, I'm just use to having the other cast go and toy with the new couple a bit more. I was wondering if it's similar to that in the other's routes, as they just sort of accept it and there's no shock. In Misaki's route, the only one that had the sort of response and such was Minamo making Misaki drink that protein shake. I'm guessing no as it kinda seems Sprite focused more on the main subject of the VN [here, FC. in Love and Choco, the election (that I've read as far to) and the couples romance instead of splitting it with the supporting characters once you get into a route.]

Just now, MFrost said:

I meant how in Misaki's route, Asuka, Rika (at the end was Oh, you're all lovey dovey still?) and Mashiro all just sort of accept that Misaki and Masaya are in a relationship without any surprise or question bombardment. Although I guess when Masaya makes a choice to go and coach only her, it became sort of obvious and thus not really needing any SoL moments afterwards, I'm just use to having the other cast go and toy with the new couple a bit more. I was wondering if it's similar to that in the other's routes, as they just sort of accept it and there's no shock. In Misaki's route, the only one that had the sort of response and such was Minamo making Misaki drink that protein shake. I'm guessing no as it kinda seems Sprite focused more on the main subject of the VN [here, FC. in Love and Choco, the election (that I've read as far to) and the couples romance instead of splitting it with the supporting characters once you get into a route.]

Ah, well yea Misaki's route does have the least involvment of other characaters in that regard.

3 hours ago, Silvz said:

guys, pleeeease, use spoiler tags

I haven't read Mashiro's route yet but now I know how it is...

Ah, I'm really sorry. I'm not sure how to do that, but next time I'll make sure not to spoil. It was just hard to explain, though it seems that's not the answer the person was looking for. Really sorry =(

14 hours ago, aliciarune said:

Ah, I'm really sorry. I'm not sure how to do that, but next time I'll make sure not to spoil. It was just hard to explain, though it seems that's not the answer the person was looking for. Really sorry =(

Does anyone know if there's a post somewhere that explains how to do things like spoiler tags?  I've been trying to figure out how to do them (along with a few other things that I see other people doing), but I've gotten nowhere with it.

Just now, GXOALMD said:

Does anyone know if there's a post somewhere that explains how to do things like spoiler tags?  I've been trying to figure out how to do them (along with a few other things that I see other people doing), but I've gotten nowhere with it.

You select the text you want to hide, and click "eye" icon in the toolbar of the text box.

fuwaspoiler.png

Spoiler

It turns the text into this

14 hours ago, aliciarune said:

Just now, GXOALMD said:

Though there is no such post (I believe there were some, at one point) now, I'll see about either finding an old one or making a new one explaining the editor.

For spoiler tags, all you have to do is click the eye icon in the editor.
Whenever you type a reply, you are doing so in a box, and at the top left there should be an icon that looks like an eye. If you hover over it, it'll display a tooltip saying 'Spoiler'. That is the button you need to click.

Spoiler

It'll make a huge box appear, which you can type in.

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

You can only do it on the desktop version of the site, though. The mobile version is missing a bunch of formatting options, including spoiler tags. (which has annoyed me on several occassions)

You can still use BB Codes though! That's what I do when I'm using a phone. For spoilers you need to use

[spoiler]Put the text here[/spoiler]

So I just finished Misaki's route and now I really have to ask the people who liked it why they did.  This is probably going to sound like a rant (maybe it is a rant) but I do genuinely want to understand what I'm missing. (Major spoilers for Misaki's route, minor spoilers for Rika's and Mashiro's routes.)

Spoiler

So one thing that I find essential in this style of vn is building sympathy in the reader for the characters.  The common route gives us brief glimpses of Masaya's past to create at least a vague sense of sympathy with him.  Of the three character routes I've read so far, creating sympathy for the heroine's is done the best in Mashiro's route by telling chunks of the story from her perspective and having her go through emotional struggles that almost everyone (if not everyone) goes through at some point in their lives.  Rika's route also does an effective job of building sympathy when Kurobuchi effectively forces her into the role of a victim through no wrongdoing of her own.  Needless to say, it came as quite a surprise when Misaki's route botched this key component.  Early on in the route we get a somewhat more detailed look at the trauma Masaya suffered which promptly snuffed any sympathy that had built for him.  This probably could have been taken in an interesting direction, but instead the novel places Misaki in the same boat as Masaya and expects the reader to copy their (now nonexistent) sympathy for him on to her.  The novel does go through several attempts to repair this mistake starting at the end of her first episode, but it just happens too slowly given how far into the route it starts.

If you went into Misaki's route already fond of her, go ahead and skip this paragraph.  To understand my next complaint I have to preface it by saying that Misaki is easily my least favorite main heroine, maybe even my least favorite sprited character in the novel.  Typically when a character I don't like has a character route, the route will either have them grow as a character in a way that makes them not awful, or the plot of the route will leave you so heavily focused on only the good aspects of the character that their negative attributes don't detract from the experience.  I bring this up because I was disappointed that not only did neither of these happen, but I'd go as far as to say that the opposite of each did.  With regards to the first issue, for a large chunk of her first episode, she adopted a whiny attitude that only made me like her less.  The second issue however proved much more problematic; the novel heavily embraced how annoying Misaki is, going as far as specifically referring to her as annoying many times.  This would be fine if she was only annoying in universe, but the fact that reading about her and reading her lines is annoying means that the novel is actively pointing out it's own flaws.

Near the end of her first episode it's revealed how she fits into Masaya's past.  By the time this reveal comes around, anything good about Misaki has been thrown away and she's become this completely contemptible character.  With this reveal it finally hits me where this route is headed as I thought to myself, "Of course, they made me hate Misaki so that she could be the antagonist of her own character route.  No wonder people love this route.  A story of friends turned enemies that concludes with them ending up together after working out their issues in the climax, that's going to be awesome."  Needless to say, I was again disappointed when this didn't come to pass.

I have a few other smaller complaints as well:

Between everything listed above and their borderline codependency their relationship is believable but neither romantic nor interesting.  Additionally, Masaya has this whole internal conflict thing happening on and off that just doesn't matter because the novel gives the reader no reason to care.

I understand that in universe people involved with FC don't really get this whole "strategy" thing, but taking over an hour of novel to come up with the immediately obvious solution of fly upside-down was pathetic even by the in universe standards.

The novel has a semi-strict structure with the first episode of a route being to introduce the conflict and initiate the MC x Heroine relationship and the second episode being to for the characters to grow and eventually overcome the conflict.  While I'm all for strict narrative structures, it doesn't work well in this route as the second episode goes on and on and on. (While I don't blame the novel for this, having my mouse break while reading the episode really drove home just how long I had been bored for.)

As a final nitpick, again focussing on the structure of the novel, every other heroine has two h-scenes, why does Misaki have three?  You couldn't bend your own rules to make your narrative flow better but you could do it to add more fanservice?

Pretty much everything from the first scene on the beach at the tournament onward was good.  Most things managed to line up at about that time.

So am I missing something or is this route just not for me?

10 hours ago, GXOALMD said:
Spoiler

"Of course, they made me hate Misaki so that she could be the antagonist of her own character route.  No wonder people love this route.  A story of friends turned enemies that concludes with them ending up together after working out their issues in the climax, that's going to be awesome."

Spoiler

Yeah, that really felt like a bit of a missed opportunity. Considering how much that experience from his childhood influenced Masaya's life since then, he sure accepted everything pretty easily as soon as it was revealed that Misaki was the person he met.

Just out of curiousity, did you figure out the "Misaki was the boy" plot twist in advance? I started thinking that was the case pretty early on due to some not so subtle hints (like how her flying style reminded Masaya of the boy), so the reveal lost any impact it otherwise could have had.

7 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, that really felt like a bit of a missed opportunity. Considering how much that experience from his childhood influenced Masaya's life since then, he sure accepted everything pretty easily as soon as it was revealed that Misaki was the person he met.

Just out of curiousity, did you figure out the "Misaki was the boy" plot twist in advance? I started thinking that was the case pretty early on due to some not so subtle hints (like how her flying style reminded Masaya of the boy), so the reveal lost any impact it otherwise could have had.

Spoiler

I figured it out before the reveal, but not until I was a little ways into this route.  I probably would've figured it out during the common route, but ever since I first watched the "Crossing Way" OP I assumed either Saki or Shindou would be that character, and then Saki's one line in the common route (I don't even remember what it was) pretty much had me convinced she was the cause of his trauma.  The first time I even considered it might not be one of them was during his flashback at the start of this route.  That said, once I did figure it out, I did not expect them to reveal it so early in the route.  It seemed more suited to be revealed near the climax of the route, which is why I jumped to the conclusion that I did after it happened in the first episode.

17 hours ago, GXOALMD said:
Spoiler

I assumed either Saki or Shindou would be that character

Spoiler

I never really considered Saki as that person, because that somehow felt too obvious. I suspected Shindou briefly and thought he might be deliberately holding back information, but then things started adding up that made me think more and more that Misaki was the one. Like her previously mentioned flying style (or is that "flight style", rather?), but also stuff like how she was really good at flying despite seemingly not having much real experience. That made it pretty obvious that there would be some sort of reveal about her past at some point, and that really put her on the radar for me. There's also the fact that they pulled a "Person X was actually Gender Y" card with Masaya (the stuff about people thinking he was a girl due to his long hair), which made me think that it wouldn't be out of the question that they'd do a reversal of that with another character.

35 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:
  Hide contents

I never really considered Saki as that person, because that somehow felt too obvious. I suspected Shindou briefly and thought he might be deliberately holding back information, but then things started adding up that made me think more and more that Misaki was the one. Like her previously mentioned flying style (or is that "flight style", rather?), but also stuff like how she was really good at flying despite seemingly not having much real experience. That made it pretty obvious that there would be some sort of reveal about her past at some point, and that really put her on the radar for me. There's also the fact that they pulled a "Person X was actually Gender Y" card with Masaya (the stuff about people thinking he was a girl due to his long hair), which made me think that it wouldn't be out of the question that they'd do a reversal of that with another character.

Spoiler

I sort of figured "Eh, it's a charage, obvious plot twists aren't uncommon."  I personally figured that every character was going to have some sort of reveal about their past (and I suppose that so far they all have.)  I definitely see where you're coming from, to me it's actually rather funny that almost everyone mistakes his childhood appearance for a girl.

4 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Maybe you could find a frame you like in the anime? The design seems pretty good.

iVrCGQ.png

Oh right, there was an anime.  I'll have to look into that after I finish up the novel (I assume the anime will have spoilers for Asuka's route.)

Does anyone else have an issue with FC replay?  I haven't checked all of them, but specifically the match between Asuka and Shindou from the common route just yields a black screen that seems to lock out all interaction other than closing the novel.  The small handful of other ones I've reread seem to work fine.  If anyone has a fix, I'd be quite grateful.

26 minutes ago, GXOALMD said:

Does anyone else have an issue with FC replay?  I haven't checked all of them, but specifically the match between Asuka and Shindou from the common route just yields a black screen that seems to lock out all interaction other than closing the novel.  The small handful of other ones I've reread seem to work fine.  If anyone has a fix, I'd be quite grateful.

Do you have the latest 1.04 update installed?  Steam users should already have it. I just checked that FC replay and it plays fine, no issues at all.

40 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Do you have the latest 1.04 update installed?  Steam users should already have it. I just checked that FC replay and it plays fine, no issues at all.

I'd been running 1.0 when I discovered this last night.  This afternoon I redownloaded from JAST which gave me version 1.01.  Does JAST not have the most recent version?

54 minutes ago, GXOALMD said:

I'd been running 1.0 when I discovered this last night.  This afternoon I redownloaded from JAST which gave me version 1.01.  Does JAST not have the most recent version?

Go here https://nekonyansoft.com/shop/product/22 for the update, it's free, works on all versions.  While there are other sources to buy it from NekoNyan is the main company behind it, all patches come from them.  Steam will auto download the lastest patch of course.

Edited by Shaun

On 10/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, GXOALMD said:

So I just finished Misaki's route and now I really have to ask the people who liked it why they did.  This is probably going to sound like a rant (maybe it is a rant) but I do genuinely want to understand what I'm missing. (Major spoilers for Misaki's route, minor spoilers for Rika's and Mashiro's routes.)

Hide contents

So one thing that I find essential in this style of vn is building sympathy in the reader for the characters.  The common route gives us brief glimpses of Masaya's past to create at least a vague sense of sympathy with him.  Of the three character routes I've read so far, creating sympathy for the heroine's is done the best in Mashiro's route by telling chunks of the story from her perspective and having her go through emotional struggles that almost everyone (if not everyone) goes through at some point in their lives.  Rika's route also does an effective job of building sympathy when Kurobuchi effectively forces her into the role of a victim through no wrongdoing of her own.  Needless to say, it came as quite a surprise when Misaki's route botched this key component.  Early on in the route we get a somewhat more detailed look at the trauma Masaya suffered which promptly snuffed any sympathy that had built for him.  This probably could have been taken in an interesting direction, but instead the novel places Misaki in the same boat as Masaya and expects the reader to copy their (now nonexistent) sympathy for him on to her.  The novel does go through several attempts to repair this mistake starting at the end of her first episode, but it just happens too slowly given how far into the route it starts.

If you went into Misaki's route already fond of her, go ahead and skip this paragraph.  To understand my next complaint I have to preface it by saying that Misaki is easily my least favorite main heroine, maybe even my least favorite sprited character in the novel.  Typically when a character I don't like has a character route, the route will either have them grow as a character in a way that makes them not awful, or the plot of the route will leave you so heavily focused on only the good aspects of the character that their negative attributes don't detract from the experience.  I bring this up because I was disappointed that not only did neither of these happen, but I'd go as far as to say that the opposite of each did.  With regards to the first issue, for a large chunk of her first episode, she adopted a whiny attitude that only made me like her less.  The second issue however proved much more problematic; the novel heavily embraced how annoying Misaki is, going as far as specifically referring to her as annoying many times.  This would be fine if she was only annoying in universe, but the fact that reading about her and reading her lines is annoying means that the novel is actively pointing out it's own flaws.

Near the end of her first episode it's revealed how she fits into Masaya's past.  By the time this reveal comes around, anything good about Misaki has been thrown away and she's become this completely contemptible character.  With this reveal it finally hits me where this route is headed as I thought to myself, "Of course, they made me hate Misaki so that she could be the antagonist of her own character route.  No wonder people love this route.  A story of friends turned enemies that concludes with them ending up together after working out their issues in the climax, that's going to be awesome."  Needless to say, I was again disappointed when this didn't come to pass.

I have a few other smaller complaints as well:

Between everything listed above and their borderline codependency their relationship is believable but neither romantic nor interesting.  Additionally, Masaya has this whole internal conflict thing happening on and off that just doesn't matter because the novel gives the reader no reason to care.

I understand that in universe people involved with FC don't really get this whole "strategy" thing, but taking over an hour of novel to come up with the immediately obvious solution of fly upside-down was pathetic even by the in universe standards.

The novel has a semi-strict structure with the first episode of a route being to introduce the conflict and initiate the MC x Heroine relationship and the second episode being to for the characters to grow and eventually overcome the conflict.  While I'm all for strict narrative structures, it doesn't work well in this route as the second episode goes on and on and on. (While I don't blame the novel for this, having my mouse break while reading the episode really drove home just how long I had been bored for.)

As a final nitpick, again focussing on the structure of the novel, every other heroine has two h-scenes, why does Misaki have three?  You couldn't bend your own rules to make your narrative flow better but you could do it to add more fanservice?

Pretty much everything from the first scene on the beach at the tournament onward was good.  Most things managed to line up at about that time.

So am I missing something or is this route just not for me?

Spoiler

Why do you think that the reveal that Misaki was the boy who crushed his self-confidence causes the reader to lose sympathy for Masaya? It's contrived and ultimately pointless sure, but I don't think it invalidates his trauma in any way. I don't think it matters that he misinterpreted Misaki's intentions, or even the situation as a whole. Masaya is an extremely competitive person who derives meaning in his life from his comparative ability to play FC. That's why the pressure built up in him so much that he eventually started convulsing every night from the stress. I actually found it disappointing in the other routes when this aspect of him failed to re-emerge, especially in Asuka's route where he happily admits (or pretends to admit) that Asuka is a better FC player than him. Why did he not feel anything from making that statement? Because he loves Asuka too much? I found it rather unbelievable and that somewhat spoiled the route for me. But getting back to Misaki's route, my point is that sooner or later, Masaya would have to come to the realization that someone could be vastly superior to him at FC, and understanding that would crush his spirit. It doesn't matter if he ultimately realized that from a misunderstood scenario or a real one, because the conclusion itself was real and what matters.

I think the biggest mistake Misaki's route made was not making it clear what her own problem was and how it related to Masaya. When I talked to people who skipped Mashiro's route or read it afterwards, I found out that some of them actually thought Misaki had a god complex instead of an inferiority complex.

As for your second point, if you're wondering why the game constantly points out Misaki's annoying habits, it's because they are actually supposed to be viewed as positive traits. Honestly, I'm surprised myself that so many people like her, because it's easy to dislike characters who aren't honest and who complain a lot. And I'm not saying this to disparage people who dislike her type of character either, everyone has a different reaction to the aforementioned traits. I dislike modern tsunderes but there are many people who find the archetype endearing.

For my part, the fact that Misaki can complain about training and even half-jokingly talk about skipping the fall tournament because she's afraid, yet still manage to get into the right mindset and train seriously, makes a much stronger positive impression than someone who works just as hard, but also never complains and never seems to even have any doubts about training or her own abilities. It's after all much harder to motivate yourself to do things you hate or are afraid of, compared to motivating yourself to do things you already find fun or easy to do in the first place. If Misaki was actually unmotivated and not serious about FC, I'd find her annoying as well but that wasn't the case. I get that people can still find the 'whiny' aspect deeply off-putting though, and if it was real life, towards someone I'm not emotionally invested in, I'd probably find it off-putting as well.

Her tendency to talk nonsense to cover up embarrassment or otherwise avoid talking about things she doesn't want to talk about is easier to explain. It's just funny. Hilarious, even. Again, humor is subjective so it's totally fine and I get you if you didn't find it amusing in the least.

As for character growth, I'm pretty sure you missed something, because the whole point of her route was that the kind of competitive person like her and Masaya would always have those feelings of envy, resentment and fear of losing when it comes to comparing their abilities with others. That was what Masaya pointed out to her in the classroom scene and later in the veranda scene - those normal human feelings were what made them them, and the way forward was not to ignore them or indulge in them, but to accept them and use those feelings as a driving force to do something positive in their lives. Both of them were paralyzed by fear and envy, but at the end of the route, they were able to use those feelings to motivate themselves to continue flying and improving themselves. I'm very glad that the game stuck to its message and made it clear that neither Masaya nor her stopped having those feelings even towards the very end. 'You're not as good or virtuous a person as you think you are' is a perfectly palatable moral as far as I'm concerned. At the very least, it is certainly more believable than if Misaki and Masaya were to somehow completely change their personality and suddenly become able to fly and compete solely because 'it's fun', and also not have these silly emotions like envy or resentment, all over the course of one summer. I'd find it hard to swallow such a convenient development.

If you want to ask me why I like Misaki as a character, I'd say it's because it's easy to see and therefore empathize with how hard she's trying. I like the fact that she's terrible at thinking about flying abstractly, but still seriously goes along with theory practice. I like that losing and feeling inferior has such strong emotional valence to her, but she still trains towards the goal of winning and participating seriously at the fall tournament even though she'd like nothing more than to run away from all of it. I like the fact that being slow at picking up inverted flight gnaws at her so much that she's willing to do something crazy like practicing at night after she's already practiced. All the Aokana girls are earnest people to a degree to be sure, and I'm not saying one is more earnest than the other, but Misaki has the strongest contrast between her feelings of not wanting to do something and putting in effort to do it anyway, if that makes sense.

Misaki and Masaya aren't in a codependent relationship. Putting aside how dubious the whole concept of codependence is in the first place, both of them have lives outside of each other, neither of them are devoted to each other to the point of self-harm and neither of them are enabling any self-destructive behavior of their partner's. In fact, I would say their relationship is much healthier than your average VN couple, considering the fact that when Misaki apologizes for always going on about her fears and worries, Masaya makes it a point to let Misaki know that she shouldn't bottle up them up out of consideration for him, and instead freely speak to him about them as much as she wants. On the other hand, I find it somewhat disappointing that Masaya doesn't take his own advice and confide in Misaki about his own envy towards her, but I'll give him a pass considering his coach position and the mental stress she was already undergoing preparing for the fall tournament, it probably wasn't such a good idea to make things complicated at that point.

To answer your question, I'd say it's probably a mix of missing something and Misaki simply not being the type of heroine for you.

Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate hearing another perspective.

Spoiler

The reveal doesn't kill my sympathy for Masaya as a child, the issue is that in the several years since he not only never takes any steps to move past it on his own but even goes out of his way to avoid moving past it.  A character wallowing in pity, leaving the best part of their life behind, over something that happened half of their life ago doesn't do it for me.  Having just finished Asuka's route tonight, I actually really liked that he was willing to admit that some people were better than him and still be able to enjoy flying.  I'd say that he probably grew the most in Asuka's route, finding a sense of belonging in the sky before even returning to the competition.

I don't really know how one would miss the similarity between Masaya's past and Misaki's present, they're kinda the same scenario.

I think we're on roughly the same page with your third paragraph.

I may have just missed it, but I never really got the sense that Misaki actually cared about FC until the fall tournament itself where she declares that "the desire to win is what's important."  In the common route she was just doing her thing, "it seems fun, so let's do it."  In her own route, it seemed like she had two motivations for doing it; 1, she wanted Masaya to screw her and 2, the inherent gratification of succeeding in doing something you thought you couldn't do.

I feel like a lot of the novel's humor was lost on me, which is unfortunate given how hyped I was (this was the first big name novel I ever pre-ordered).

I don't recall ever mentioning how I feel about the character growth in this route (I merely stated that the episode dedicated to it was too long), but it's interesting to hear another's perspective.

I'm not really sure how to respond to your seventh paragraph.  I don't really like any of Aokana's main cast and until I read Mashiro's route I actually considered her the bottom of the barrel character.  Shindou, Aoi, Shion, Shirase, and Satouin all pretty much carried the novel for me.

Maybe I read into their relationship a bit too much.  From my perspective they entered this relationship because they both needed to move past what was holding them back and the only thing that enabled them to move forward was their "love" for each other.  A bit of support is all fine and dandy, but when the support is the only thing that lets you keep going then it's a problem.  Also, I would consider the extent to which they neglected the rest of their friends to be harmful, but that's a much lesser point especially seeing as that is presumably resolved after the tournament.

I'm probably just missing something.  In my limited experience with character routes, how much I like the character doesn't have a major bearing on how much I like the route.

As an unrelated question, having just finished the novel tonight I need to know:

Spoiler

The epilogue with Masaya and Aoi flying together, does that happen automatically when you finish your fourth route, or is it just at the end of Asuka's route regardless of the order you read them in?