Mangagamer and Minori News(?) to be announced soon

Freestyle80

Well I prefer to see Mangagamer's tweet on their payment processor problem solution, but if they need to tell us about minori's plan then sure why not. For now I'll just hope that at the very least we can get a new minori VNs localized, and if possible a big update on Supipara. I'll wait until October 3rd later to see more detail about the news itself later.

Edited by littleshogun

I can only really guess at what it isn't... it probably isn't the Trinoline FD or Sonokemo.  My reasoning is that those two are the IPs most likely to have been caught up in issues with creditors when Minori went under...

Incidentally, I'm glad Minori is gone... their protagonists were almost universally idiots who reminded me of Shinji from Evangelion (hetare+nibui+constantly saying the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time).  Shinji-type protagonists go beyond irritating into actively making me want to smash something (Soreyori no Prologue was particularly bad about that, since the protag completely misses why he is breaking the heroine's heart in the beginning of the game). 

The only game I liked without reservation by the company was Eden, lol. 

On 9/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, Silvz said:

maybe a new game entirely? I know that minori is dead, but maybe Mangagamer can pull some strings to make something small such as Korokkopur [or however it is written] happen.

Oh, I'll take a guess!  MangaGamer will start developing games using minori's IPs, and minori will sell them!  With the power of friendship, they'll do together what they failed to do alone!

Edited by sanahtlig

On 12/09/2019 at 2:12 PM, Clephas said:

I can only really guess at what it isn't... it probably isn't the Trinoline FD or Sonokemo.  My reasoning is that those two are the IPs most likely to have been caught up in issues with creditors when Minori went under...

Incidentally, I'm glad Minori is gone... their protagonists were almost universally idiots who reminded me of Shinji from Evangelion (hetare+nibui+constantly saying the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time).  Shinji-type protagonists go beyond irritating into actively making me want to smash something (Soreyori no Prologue was particularly bad about that, since the protag completely misses why he is breaking the heroine's heart in the beginning of the game). 

The only game I liked without reservation by the company was Eden, lol. 

Yeah, Protags are stupid and not just that their world building is so bad, like in Trinoline no one exists in the game except MC and his heroines and a few sub characters, it felt really off.

I only liked Ef from them and that too mostly the routes that didnt have one of those annoying twins as heroines

4 hours ago, Freestyle80 said:

Yeah, Protags are stupid and not just that their world building is so bad, like in Trinoline no one exists in the game except MC and his heroines and a few sub characters, it felt really off.

I only liked Ef from them and that too mostly the routes that didnt have one of those annoying twins as heroines

The aesthetic in Minori games was superb, and I honestly found I liked at least one path in each game...   However, that usually didn't make up for protagonist frustration and a tendency toward going surreal at the weirdest times. 

The 'no one exists but the heroines and protagonist' thing is a trope common in VNs... in particular in charage.  In Minori's defense, this was used to build up the heroines into more complex and multi-faceted characters, in most cases, a legitimate reason to use this tactic.  In opposition, most charage just do it because the writer can't handle more characters or doesn't want to compare the non-heroine characters with the heroines (sometimes the non-heroines end up being better than the heroines). 

Honestly?  I'd love to see Minori's staff hired by other companies with a more pragmatic approach to game-making.  As it is, Minori has been a prima-donna for so long that the arrogant assumption that people would buy even their worst works gladly became the norm, looking at them from the outside. 

Seeing that the payment processor problem is already resolved, at least we didn't need to worry on that front anymore (Or if we borrow Sanahtlig's word Mangagamer didn't really need to borrow minori's IPs to develop the VNs and minori didn't really need to sell Mangagamer's VNs). Although our question on what's the announcement is still remaining for obvious reason, so we can only wait for now seeing that obviously today is still not October 3rd.

Edited by littleshogun

Honestly hard to imagine it being anything but a somewhat too late and too pointless Supipara ch. 3 announcement as the minori's swan song. Anything else would just be too weird and out-of-place, consindering the situation and the fact that they STILL didn't officially cancel that shady fundraiser.

4 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Shady fundraiser?  What would be shady about it?

I had a silly argument about it on this forum a few years back and I still believe this to be the least transparent pseudo-fundraiser imaginable. Maybe not everything I had said that day was sensible but shady-ish is still probably the best word I can come up with to describe it. In a few quotes from back then (when even the second episode was yet to be funded, jan 2017)

Spoiler

I'm still shocked they ask 200k of "clean" money for a localization of a relatively small game.

No, I can easily imagine spending 200k on a relatively small title if they seriously pay for every single cent of that localization only with clean profits from other minori games. But considering how even the completely unexpected huge runaway success of Eden didn't get this funded, you can only question their sanity with this fundraiser. And what if Eden sold only what was expected of it? Did they want to fund supipara 1-2 in five years? Not to mention I have a nudging feeling we don't see real numbers since they clearly want it funded "just in time" for another convention like the last time.

>3) They never said that every dollar would be spent on localization of that specific title.

They heavily implied it. It's borderline false advertising if they spend Eden profits elsewhere.

>They most likely just want to make sure that the games aren't just profitable, but profitable enough to justify it over other games they could be translating instead. That means the series needs to meet certain sales expectations and such before they consider it worthwhile.

Then there was no point to begin with. Eden is popular due to a string of random events, supipara is not. Let's say Eden suddenly gives them another 400k but they use them on Trinoline instead because Supipara proved to be unprofitable with the first chapter. Sounds like a complete farce when you put it that way, doesn't it.

>Well, keep in mind further tiers involve creating more game content itself. The tiers probably aren't a good measure of the exact amount needed to fund the localization of each part.

Maybe, but there's no indication of that either. But it's interesting that their pretty much best-selling "serious" (i. e. not educational nippon or small Higurashi episode) game ever can't even fund a localization of the at best medium-sized Visual Novel. Either MG sits with millions of debt by now then, or, considering Doddler's "some localizations break even at three digits", minori are just that expensive to work with. I don't know which one is more scary. 

>However, you're right.  The math doesn't add up.  So I give up, I got no idea how they're computing it.
>>Gross Profit != Gross Revenue. Gross profit is how much you get after operating costs. In this case, they are probably subtracting gross revenue by the cost of localization and licensing, and probably royalties and such as well. I'm not 100% sure on the formula they're using, because it seems like they're adding revenue from every sale starting from sale #1, even though they need to account for cost of localization and licensing which happens usually in full before the product goes on sale. 

The formula is probably called "let's randomly add to the sum little by little so we could announce both chapters at different conventions". 

But then again, even if we disregard baseless conspiracy theories, I believe by now it's pretty clear that this didn't work out as "a very transparent way for them to track their minori profits and the viability of translation of future Minori titles". Literally noone understands how it works, noone really wants to explain, as a result the numbers in our minds never add up, and even you assume that part of the profits most likely goes elsewhere which kills the whole point of such "transparency". Minori are ready to create a whole new big project because of the western Eden sales, but at the same time those together with disc Ef and Supipara Ch. 1 sales are nearly not enough to even fund a poor single Supipara localization. 

• 2 weeks later...

One sentence for what I can say about the announcement: Not worth waiting for.

PS - I guess it's good that ef going to Steam, although seeing that it's already have PS2 version (Sony's console) and minori was more conservative with sex scenes in the past so it's reasonable if they manage to have ef on Steam. I guess it's time to wait for Mangagamer's next release announcement at 10th later.

Edited by littleshogun

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway right now we have ef released at Steam, so if you somehow still not play it and waiting for that to come to Steam to get it at cheaper price then right now it's your chance to get it and thanks to your five years of patience there. Also it's too bad that Mangagamer didn't announce their next release after Amatarasu, but I guess they need some breather after released a lot of VNs that they did to make up the lost time when their payment processor is busted.

PS - Apparently the real announcement that minori fans expected (Supipara) fundrising was already stopped since February, so perhaps hoping for Supipara continuation would be useless especially since minori was stopped operating (If not bankrupted here).