The Nuzlocke Challenge!

Silvachief

A lot of people seem to be excited about the release of Pokemon X and Y, so I figure we should do something to celebrate (even if I don't own a 3DS >.>).

I present to you the Nuzlocke Challege (official site here: http://www.nuzlocke.com/challenge.php).

How do you take part?

1. Pick any Pokemon game you like and start playing it (don't own one? Emulate!)

2. You may only capture the first Pokemon you find in each area. If you beat it, too bad.

3. If a Pokemon faints you must release it. (prying items from their cold, dead corpses is okay though)

4. You are not allowed to train any of your Pokemon above the highest level of the next gym leader's Pokemon.

5. You cannot trade Pokemon with anyone not taking part in the Nuzlocke Challenge.

6. Post your adventures here! You can straight-up tell us what happened or craft a story to share, or even an in-character diary, perhaps. I'll keep everyone's journal in spoiler tags on this page.

I'm not sure how many people will end up doing this, but I figured it might be fun =)

*Edit*:

Optional Rules:

1. Name your Pokemon after forum members.

2. Only use normal Pokeballs.

3. You may only attempt to capture a Pokemon 3 times. If you fail, you must beat it or run away.

Silvachief's Journey

Part 1

My name is Tajih. Don’t ask me what possessed my parents to call me that; I’ve never met my father and mother won’t tell me. She just giggles whenever I bring it up.

Today I obtained my new partner, Squirtle. No one will ever guess that she’s actually a Charmander, especially since she managed to beat my rival, Quabb’s, actual Squirtle in battle. He ran away before we could land the finishing blow, however. The coward.

Professor Oak has asked Quabb and I to fill up his Pokedex. As Quabb scurried away he quipped that he would tell his sister not to give me a town map, leaving me wandering around the wilds, completely lost. Luckily for me, Quabb’s sister hates him. Town Map get.

Due to the new laws regarding Pokemon capture (wild Pokemon populations were becoming depleted), I am only allowed to capture the first Pokemon I encounter in each region. I’m allowed to kill as many as I wish, though. Go figure. Because of this the only Pokemon from route 1 I was able to obtain was a Pidgey, which I have named Diglett. The deception continues…

Training Diglett has been one of the most harrowing experiences of my life. Death lurked behind every bushel of surprisingly tall grass. Nevertheless, both of my partners have grown. It’s time to look beyond Viridian City.

Route 22 has given me a great boon in the form of a Rattata. He shall keep his original name. For now it will throw other trainers off, in the future when he evolves the name will cause others to underestimate me.

Quabb very nearly ended my journey before my first gym battle. Ambushing me as I trained Rattata, he proceeded to near-mortally wound both Diglett and my new partner. I am thankful that Squirtle managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, despite being at a type disadvantage. I will not underestimate Quabb again.

Some idiot of an old man insisted on showing me how to catch Pokemon, despite the 3 pokeballs obviously hanging from my belt. He then handed me an old TV and wandered off. Perhaps my return to Viridian City was ill-advised.

Viridian forest, crawling with bugs, gave me an opportunity I couldn’t miss. Though the Weedle falling from a tree nearly pierced my shoulder with his stinger, he has now joined my team. I will allow him to keep his name in honor of his courage.

Part 2

After poisoning and  slaughtering what must have been an entire field of Pidgey and Rattata, Weedle has evolved into Kakuna. Perhaps the bubbling, necrotic remains of these Pokemon will serve as a warning to any who would oppose me. I also spotted a Pikachu, though as I had already found Kakuna it was against the law to catch it. This vexes me.

On route 2 I encountered and caught a Caterpie. Given its evolution into a butterfly-like Pokemon, I have named it Pansy. Let us see if it can prove itself worthy of a better name. Though it quickly evolved into a Metapod, Pansy will have to work much harder to become more than a constant reminder of the Pikachu I was unable to catch.

After having spent some time training to take on Brock’s strong lineup of rock type Pokemon, I have dubbed Rattata “most likely to be poisoned”. With my team now consisting of Squirtle, Diglett, Rattata, Beedrill and Pansy (who is now a Butterfree), I feel that the time has come to reduce Pewter City Gym’s Pokemon to slag.

I…may have underestimated Pansy’s worth. His psychic abilities proved invaluable against the sheer power of Pewter Gym’s trainers. Squirtle was still the Pokemon of the hour, however, with her Metal Claw ripping Brock’s Onix to shreds. The look of horror on his face as I dismantled his partner was delightful.

Before entering Mount Moon I captured a Mankey, naming him Kengo in reference to a certain baseball-playing high school student. Unfortunately he was killed by another trainer’s Clefairy soon after. One might consider it strangely fitting…still, I have no use for a Pokemon that allows itself to be slapped to death. I have since replaced him with a Geodude whom I have dubbed Buster. His training is going well and I have a little more hope for him than I did for Kengo.

Part 3

Both Pansy and Buster proved invaluable during my trek through mount moon. Given the number of Zubats we killed, I’m sure I won’t be hearing nearly as much complaining about them as usual. Team Rocket members made several appearances while I was underground, though I extinguished the lives of their Pokemon just like I would any other trainer. They’re pathetic.

On exiting the cave I realized that I was horribly unprepared for my next gym challenge. Squirtle and Buster were two of my strongest companions, and they weren’t going to be of any help at all against water Pokemon. On top of that, both Beedrill and Rattata have fallen behind the others. I plan to leave them behind once I reach the next town.

What luck! After putting Quabb back in his place for daring to accost me again, I managed to capture both and Oddish and an Abra on route 24 and 25 respectively. Fortunately Pansy was able to put the Abra to sleep before it could escape. They’re notoriously hard to catch. With my lineup of Squirtle (now a Charmeleon), Buster, Pansy, Diglett, Abra and Oddish, I stand a fair chance of surviving Misty’s onslaught of watery death. To be honest, though, I still have no idea how bubbles can sting so damned much.

Really glad to see a topic on this!

I'm sitting here rather impatiently, neglecting my finance work, just waiting for it to turn 12:00 EST so I can start downloading X and then go to sleep so I can pick up my Y copy tomorrow.

X is gonna be my challenge run copy of the game. I was thinking the first challenge run I was gonna do was a gym leader challenge (facing gym leaders only with their type), but given this topic, I think I'll do a nuzlocke.

You could add an optional rule(s) that I usually go by:

- It's that you can only use normal Pokeballs to catch your Encountered Pokemon.

- You only get 3 chances to attempt to catch it, otherwise you either kill it or run away.

Make's the challenge a bit more challenging and fun and make's you think about your strategies more carefully. 

I've added the first two parts of my tale to the first post. They're decidedly more morbid than your average playthrough of Pokemon.

Does anyone else play on writing anything? And is my log interesting enough for me to keep going?

Very interested in reading more.  I don't think I'll have time to do my own playthrough atm, but I find this incredibly fascinating.

Enjoy the narrative approach, too.  Hope to see more.

Does anyone else play on writing anything? And is my log interesting enough for me to keep going?

Yup, just need to finish my initial playthrough of Y (Very slow, I'm breeding quite a bit so I can get a dozen or so competitive pokes for online and battle facility). I'll be starting a nuzlocke run of X sometime after that. Planning on putting something together for this topic.