KEY is holding a character popularity poll that ends on September 12. You can only vote for ONE character a day from all KEY's history, so choose wisely.

NowItsAngeTime

Oooh this is a tough one. Despite their narrative problems, Key generally has done well to craft some good characters even if their character arcs left something to be desired. I think I'd have to go for Nagisa just because not enough VNs carry the high school romances into adulthood and show the challenges of a new couple starting out, but she is such a good anchor for After Story and perfect for giving a measure of agency and realism to the issues that plague our MC while also maintaining herself as a strong character in her own right, even if she does become a little plot "devicey" by the end. 

1 hour ago, solidbatman said:

Oooh this is a tough one. Despite their narrative problems, Key generally has done well to craft some good characters even if their character arcs left something to be desired. I think I'd have to go for Nagisa just because not enough VNs carry the high school romances into adulthood and show the challenges of a new couple starting out, but she is such a good anchor for After Story and perfect for giving a measure of agency and realism to the issues that plague our MC while also maintaining herself as a strong character in her own right, even if she does become a little plot "devicey" by the end. 

Exactly. Key is really good at creating characters and writing good comedy around them but really hit and miss when it comes to properly developing them (more miss imo). After Story is one of the few instances in Key VNs where every major character involved gets a good arc. I picked Akio btw.

2 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

It's a tough call between Nagisa and Yumemi, but I went with Yumemi because Planetarian hit me harder emotionally than Clannad did.

Yeah, Planetarian hits hard. However, when it comes to Clannad, the characters that had strongest emotional impact on me were Ushio and Kotomi I think. Especially Kotomi's backstory - it's probably the thing that I remember the most from Clannad.

Still, it's impossible for me to pick one character. One per VN - maybe doable, but only one ever? Cannot decide...

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

Still, it's impossible for me to pick one character. One per VN - maybe doable, but only one ever? Cannot decide...

So I made a slight mistake

You can actually vote for one character a DAY. Resets every day at Noon in Japan.

I edited the title of the topic to reflect this.

My gut (or the region below) wanted to go with the aunt from Kanon until I realized that I only remember her from hentai and as "the aunt from Kanon".

I'll go with Kyou, who was robbed of having the best possible Clannad After Story scenario, by two bad girls, despite being perfection incarnate. Honorable shoutout to Sasasasasasa Salsa Salami, because real men remember the Nosebleed odyssey.