YURI TITLES NEED MORE HEROINE ROUTES!

mitchhamilton

YEAH, I SAID IT! AS CONTROVERSIAL AS IT MAY BE, I WOULD LIKE A VN THAT GOES AGAINST THE NORM! im sure there are some japanese titles out there that play out like straight vn's where the main character has wide variety of girls to choose from as a romantic partner but for us english reading... readers we're stuck with 1-3 routes! the set up of sonohana games where its 1 on 1 style is nice but really i wish there was more choices for heroines.

other recent titles i can think of that is yuri are love ribbon, 7 days with a ghost, flowers. not a whole lot of choices and even with those choices routes are still very limited. wheres the strawberry panic of vns!? where youre in an all girls school surrounded by prestige beauties who all adore the new girls unique presence!?

mostly a rant but meh.

I can agree with you. Yuri games, though good with the ones I've played, don't have many routes. But have you tried Nurse Love Syndrome? There's six routes in that game and it's one of the longest Yuri titles I've played. Also, Nurse Love Addiction has four routes, though I think the former is a bit better. If you haven't played them, maybe give them a try?

Also, what kind of Yuri games are you looking for? With what you listed, it seems you like titles with a good story even if you may want fan service. Also, if you don't want a high school one, maybe go to Star Light Bega. Though I admit, it only has 3 routes, but it is a good story. 

I myself am doing a Yuri visual novel with more than seven love interests and even had a decent KS. I also have another game in the works with six love interests. Problem is, I've been sick for a while, so they have been hard to finish. But yeah, I made these games because I wanted more routes, though i know it's a lot.

Anyway, I really think Nurse Love Syndrome is a good fit for you, if you haven't read it yet and even Starlight Vega. 

5 minutes ago, aliciarune said:

I can agree with you. Yuri games, though good with the ones I've played, don't have many routes. But have you tried Nurse Love Syndrome? There's six routes in that game and it's one of the longest Yuri titles I've played. Also, Nurse Love Addiction has four routes, though I think the former is a bit better. If you haven't played them, maybe give them a try?

Also, what kind of Yuri games are you looking for? With what you listed, it seems you like titles with a good story even if you may want fan service. Also, if you don't want a high school one, maybe go to Star Light Bega. Though I admit, it only has 3 routes, but it is a good story. 

I myself am doing a Yuri visual novel with more than seven love interests and even had a decent KS. I also have another game in the works with six love interests. Problem is, I've been sick for a while, so they have been hard to finish. But yeah, I made these games because I wanted more routes, though i know it's a lot.

Anyway, I really think Nurse Love Syndrome is a good fit for you, if you haven't read it yet and even Starlight Vega. 

ah, right. nurse love addiction series. weeeeeeell, like with regular vns, i rarely read stuff thats all ages. :rimu: 

idk what it is but i just rarely do it. maybe i see the sex scenes as some kind of reward at the end of it. despite me saying that, im not a fan of just fan service stuff. grew tired of the sakura games i played very quickly for their large amount of fan service. read a vn in japanese that kind of played out as a yuri nukige but kind of got bored of that as well. i want some build ups! i want meeting characters for the first time and slowly spending time with them until you or the other girl confesses her feelings to you! :miyako:

but hey! thats great to hear about your upcoming titles! :mare: wish you the best of luck and hope you feel better! :wafuu: 

1 minute ago, mitchhamilton said:

ah, right. nurse love addiction series. weeeeeeell, like with regular vns, i rarely read stuff thats all ages. :rimu: 

idk what it is but i just rarely do it. maybe i see the sex scenes as some kind of reward at the end of it. despite me saying that, im not a fan of just fan service stuff. grew tired of the sakura games i played very quickly for their large amount of fan service. read a vn in japanese that kind of played out as a yuri nukige but kind of got bored of that as well. i want some build ups! i want meeting characters for the first time and slowly spending time with them until you or the other girl confesses her feelings to you! :miyako:

but hey! thats great to hear about your upcoming titles! :mare: wish you the best of luck and hope you feel better! :wafuu: 

I get what you mean with the adult content. It is a reward in away and with me when I read BxB I do sometimes want adult scenes. I don't mind all age versions though or adult. Actually, Yuri titles may be able to do sex better? I've heard some people say that. As for the nurse series, I think you'll like it despite not having adult content. Though, for me, I did love Nurse Syndrome but sadly the mc may get on your nerves a bit. 

And it's good to see you say that about the building relationship parts. I like that too. Doesn't have to be a dramatic story but I like when characters actually grow closer during time. Problem with SOL is making the events interesting enough X'D. 

But thanks so much for the encouragement. I know a few Yuri developers like me are around, so that's good. I hope though, we can make bigger games with Yuri. I feel like Yuri can be quite romantic 

51 minutes ago, nihilloligasan said:

tbh i've always dreamed of a sonohana game where you're the new girl and you get to pick a new gf out of a wide selection of cuties. i think the biggest problem with this set up is that the idiot writers would probably just write a standard male protagonist with boobs

that scenario in the sonohana universe would be great! always loved their art style.

1 hour ago, nihilloligasan said:

tbh i've always dreamed of a sonohana game where you're the new girl and you get to pick a new gf out of a wide selection of cuties. i think the biggest problem with this set up is that the idiot writers would probably just write a standard male protagonist with boobs

This does exist, though not translated, sadly. Seisai no Resonance is like this. You play as the new girl who just transferred into an all-girls school, and you can choose from 5 main heroines, as well as three side heroines with short extra routes. (Just a scene or two each, but still nice.) It also has really good story.

It's my favorite yuri title to date, and the only one I'm aware of that takes a standard eroge style route system, but makes it yuri.

Hmmm, I guess the yuri games that escape the fixed pairings formula are usually doujins or EVNs and those rarely include that many routes... There's a number of good EVNs doing multi-route GxG romance or having multiple male and female LIs (Starlight Vega, Magical Diary: Horse Hall, SoulSet, a lot of WinterWolves games), but I indeed have a hard time thinking of one that would have over three heroines. They're simply too small to handle more without diluting the experience too much. Even that one Kickstarter project whose developer said it's a yuri game but "a moege at heart" has only three routes (it also went radio silent a few months ago after the game was supposedly pretty much finished :vinty:).

On one hand, it would be cool to see yuri games with more option but on the other, I kind of like the more-focused stories they usually tell? Like, Flowers has only very limited route variety and there's always an obvious canon ending, but the little branching it does go for is usually really interesting. I'd love to see Seisai no Resonance translated one day and some games to follow its formula, but ultimately, I was never really dissatisfied with yuri VNs that are already here...

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I'd love to see Seisai no Resonance translated one day and some games to follow its formula, but ultimately, I was never really dissatisfied with yuri VNs that are already here...

you hear that @Dergonu? get to work. :jinpou:

pull on some of your connections over at jast or mangagamer or cherry kiss and give us plebs seisai no resonance!

You'd need a predatory yuri protagonist to make a large number of yuri routes work.  A common quality of a lot of the yuri VNs I encountered in my brief surge into the genre when I first began playing untranslated was that there was a tendency to value the 'friendship to love' development or 'dependence to love' development, save in cases where the protagonist is a predator with a habit of seducing numerous other girls.  

The 'kind-hearted and benevolent onee-sama' routine generally doesn't work very well with a large number of heroines.  Neither does the 'feeling your way into sexuality' routine.  I suppose reversing it and creating a situation with a large number of predatory-aggressive heroines might work... but I wonder if that would be enjoyable to vicariously experience.  Harem protags in hetero VNs tend to be that type of 'receptive' protagonist, but I have to wonder how a yuri writer would handle it...

3 hours ago, Clephas said:

You'd need a predatory yuri protagonist to make a large number of yuri routes work.  A common quality of a lot of the yuri VNs I encountered in my brief surge into the genre when I first began playing untranslated was that there was a tendency to value the 'friendship to love' development or 'dependence to love' development, save in cases where the protagonist is a predator with a habit of seducing numerous other girls.  

The 'kind-hearted and benevolent onee-sama' routine generally doesn't work very well with a large number of heroines.  Neither does the 'feeling your way into sexuality' routine.  I suppose reversing it and creating a situation with a large number of predatory-aggressive heroines might work... but I wonder if that would be enjoyable to vicariously experience.  Harem protags in hetero VNs tend to be that type of 'receptive' protagonist, but I have to wonder how a yuri writer would handle it...

hmm, i can see where youre coming from. one problem with say for instance an all girls school setting is that you would have to do the strawberry panic rules of boys/men rarely being mentioned and/or have it so EVERY girl is a lesbian. maybe one route where she is unsure of her sexuality and grows close to the mc. :rimu: 

so ive been re-reading momoiro closet and one of the things i really like about that vn is its a bit more focused. with only one heroine to choose from, there is a different sense of attachment i feel with the relationship. in most vns with different routes is the main girl would have a dilemma, confides in the mc, they grow closer and then it pulls you in like 3-4 other directions. giving you a small taste of what to expect from each girls route. i dont hate that set up but with momoiro closet ive come to appreciate one heroine vns more.

while yuri titles can be annoying in how limiting the routes are, it is a nice setup. :sachi: 

...but still, GIVE ME MORE ROUTES! :ryuusui:

There's Aoishiro if you want multiple routes GL VNs, and it have five heroines although you need the guide to avoid 56 bad endings though. Also like someone said above, there's Nurse Love series (Hakuai and Shirokoi) in that it have more than three heroines.

It's too bad that there's still no Seisai no Resonance English translation as of now (I don't want to learn Chinese or Russian yet), seeing that the plot is very unique because it's very rare to see the setting even with male MC (I only remember that the VN with similar setting is Koiken Otome). At least the writer is wrote Shirokoi if we need a GL VN from the same writer (Madoka Madoka). Almost forget that she also write Sonohana nurse VNs, which is reasonable seeing that the writer is also work as the nurse in the past (Or so that's what I'd hear).

Edit - My mistake there in that I said Aoishiro have 56 bad endings, because actually 56 here is the number of the endings. My word still apply though in that you'll need guide to avoid the bad end, because only 6 endings that could be categorized as the good endings.

Edited by littleshogun

Yuri's weird in that it's the genre of VN's with the most standarised style, probably because everyone is copying Sonohana. If it has h, it's usually one heroine, and the routes are just others girls relationships. Sometimes you'll get threeway couples or two options, but even that's rare. There was a VN in Squeez's story style about a girl who comes to an all girls school and with her love of boobs seduces everyone. I think it had both harem and individual /endings and is basically the only game like that that I know of. Forgot it's name but it would really fit with MG's lineup.

Generally if you want routes in yuri you're looking for all ages, but a lot of those aren't yuri but more just shoujo Ai. Aoshiro is barely even shoujo Ai. No one in the game becomes a couple and there is no kissing, the closest you get is vampire blood sucking. Pygmalion and the other entries in the Ao- series are the same way. The Nurse Love series is better, but I've heard pretty poor things about the writing quality and romance in those games. Also having an air headed nurse as your main character would piss me off to no end, which one of the games does.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:05 AM, mitchhamilton said:

i think i know what vn youre talking about but i dont think its a squeeze title. couldnt find it among their titles.

Yeah, it's not by Squeez it just has the same format as a bunch of their things. You get a list of girls, you choose from that list and get sex scenes. Each girl has a unique ending after all their sex stuff is done, but the main goal is the harem end where you get all the girls. I want to say the shortened name was something like majipuri or something like that, but I for the life of me can't remember it's actual title or creator.

It also had this weird thing where after both girls orgasmed they'd get showered in generic white fluid, which you could make yellow from the options menu if you wanted to. It was this really weird game, and probably the only vanilla harem yuri thing with 10+ heroines I've ever seen.

16 hours ago, jikorde said:

Yeah, it's not by Squeez it just has the same format as a bunch of their things. You get a list of girls, you choose from that list and get sex scenes. Each girl has a unique ending after all their sex stuff is done, but the main goal is the harem end where you get all the girls. I want to say the shortened name was something like majipuri or something like that, but I for the life of me can't remember it's actual title or creator.

It also had this weird thing where after both girls orgasmed they'd get showered in generic white fluid, which you could make yellow from the options menu if you wanted to. It was this really weird game, and probably the only vanilla harem yuri thing with 10+ heroines I've ever seen.

https://vndb.org/v12404

10 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

if this is the one he was talking about then this is the same one i was talking about here

On 8/15/2019 at 12:12 AM, mitchhamilton said:

read a vn in japanese that kind of played out as a yuri nukige but kind of got bored of that as well.

kind of sad really when this is the first example by two completely different people.