Do you think this is good enough for a VN?

99DOORS

Hi all,

I'm a brand new member (don't hate me yet, please). 

I'm thinking about starting down the road of creating my own VN, but I've been...er...less than confident about if my stuff is up to par - so I figured I'd go to the source, and ask some folks who read VNs.

Do you think this is good enough for a VN? It's a little rough, but I'd love your opinions. This will help me decide if I want to continue, or hang it up. I'm honestly on the fence right now. It's obviously a lot of work.

https://www.deviantart.com/99doors/art/Mock-for-VN-808784916 

It doesn't look bad at all (I liked VNs with worse art for sure), but it's also a bit hard to judge. There are some specific skills that go into creating VN art, like doing multiple facial expressions on one character, that you can't really assess from just one drawing.

On the other hand, you won't really know until you try it. If you're not sure how much energy you want to invest, make it simple. Create a prototype or prologue of sorts. Make it about two girls and upload it to Yuri Game Jam to get some feedback. ;) Sorry if it sounds cynical, but you don't have to start big or even start good. You just need to figure stuff out and make a genuine effort, and there's a very good chance people will like it. 

Edit: Of course it's a bit tricky it you want to make money from it. But leave that part to when you're actually pretty sure your skills and ideas are up to the challenge. I actually don't like people selling their super early game development experiments. When you ask people for money, you expose yourself for much harsher scrutiny. If you ask me to pay for something that doesn't look or feel like a commercial product, I'll quite likely trash you. If you put it out for free and I see issues with it, you'll get constructive feedback and encouragement. ;] 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

It doesn't look bad at all (I liked VNs with worse art for sure), but it's also a bit hard to judge. There are some specific skills that go into creating VN art, like doing multiple facial expressions on one character, that you can't really assess from just one drawing.

On the other hand, you won't really know until you try it. If you're not sure how much energy you want to invest, make it simple. Create a prototype or prologue of sorts. Make it about two girls and upload it to Yuri Game Jam to get some feedback. ;) Sorry if it sounds cynical, but you don't have to start big or even start good. You just need to figure stuff out and make a genuine effort, and there's a very good chance people will like it. 

Edit: Of course it's a bit tricky it you want to make money from it. But leave that part to when you're actually pretty sure your skills and ideas are up to the challenge. I actually don't like people selling their super early game development experiments. When you ask people for money, you expose yourself for much harsher scrutiny. If you ask me to pay for something that doesn't look or feel like a commercial product, I'll quite likely trash you. If you put it out for free and I see issues with it, you'll get constructive feedback and encouragement. ;] 

This is excellent advice, thank you. 

I wouldn't expect to make a game for profit until I knew I could deliver something excellent. 

5 hours ago, 99DOORS said:

Hi all,

I'm a brand new member (don't hate me yet, please). 

I'm thinking about starting down the road of creating my own VN, but I've been...er...less than confident about if my stuff is up to par - so I figured I'd go to the source, and ask some folks who read VNs.

Do you think this is good enough for a VN? It's a little rough, but I'd love your opinions. This will help me decide if I want to continue, or hang it up. I'm honestly on the fence right now. It's obviously a lot of work.

https://www.deviantart.com/99doors/art/Mock-for-VN-808784916 

5 hours ago, solidbatman said:

I like it but you should go for making a VN even if people didn't like it. Make what you want to make and do what you want to do. :sachi:

4 hours ago, GXOALMD said:

Your story and writing are going to make or break your vn more than your art.  As long as you maintain a consistent art style, what you have should be fine.

4 hours ago, aliciarune said:

I agree with solidbatman and GXOALMD. Do what you want to do, even if the art may not be what you want yet. Gradually you'll get better with things. In terms of your story, I like it too. Eyes are expressive as well. Again though, I think you should write what you want to. You'll enjoy it. 

It looks nice, and I agree with these people.