How Do You Get Rid Of This Addiction/Heavy Feeling in Your Chest After Finishing a VN

KingDragoYT

I'm pretty new to the community with only playing 3 VNs. They are, in order, 9-nine- Kokonotsu Kokonoka Kokonoiro, Sanoba Witch and Koi ga Saku koro Sakura Doki. I didn't really get the heavy feeling of attachment in my chest when i finished 9-nine as I knew there were episode 2,3 and 4. And I didn't feel that way either when finishing Sanoba Witch. I did feel quite emotional after Nene's route though and that did left me feeling quite attached to the series. To give you a quick summary of my background. I've been diagnosed with depression for 2 years and I haven't really been affected by it for that much. That was the case before I went to Malaysia for my family gathering in Summer and was left with a realization of my own loneliness. Then I experience Ann and Yuri's routes in SakuSaku. I'm pretty sure i experienced these 2 routes quite differently then most as I was heavily affected by the friendship between Ann and Ele and the relationship between siblings/twins of Yuri and Hanako. Yuri's route is my favourite route so far, though left with a loose end in gay shinigami and Hanako, probably will still remain to be my favourite route of that title. I couldn't continue with the other routes as everytime the ecstasy that is the OST soundtrack continue to blast in my ears, the heavy feeling in my chest worsens. The same thing would hapoen when I see Yuri and Ann in the other routes which remind me of how brilliant their routes were. Though you guys probably wouldn't sympathize to that extent as my love for this game stems from my own depression and my experiences. Though it would be great to hear y'all opinions on these 2 routes which I love and give me motivation in finishing the other routes by telling me what I'm missing out on. No spoilers of course. I'm sure everyone has experienced a sense of attachment/this heavy feeling in your chest after finishing a title when they were a newbie to a medium or found a title or show that they're entitled to before. Now here's my question. How did you move on from this sense of attachment/Heavy feeling and not feel like shit for knowing that you might never see these characters again.  

Edited by KingDragoYT

28 minutes ago, KingDragoYT said:

that you might never see these characters again.

But you can - by rereading the VN ;) For example, I did this with Princess Evangile, and reading it second time was as good as the first :D Many people have one or two favorite books that they can read over and over again (for me, it's LOTR for example), so I don't see why it should be different with VNs.

So, I probably cannot offer advice about moving on from feeling like shit after finishing VN, beacuse it's a bit different for me. I might get attached to characters, but right after finishing the VN, if it has good ending / satisfying epilogue, I rather feel fulfilled/satisfied together with the characters.

OTOH there are some scenes from some VNs I've read, that moved me deeply, and can make me teary-eyed just by remembering them (like Ame's route from Dal Segno - since it was the first of this kind that I encountered, some scenes from Planetarian, Clannad etc). For some reason I'm also easily moved by the scenes that depict characters loneliness - sometimes very mundane ones.

Spoiler

(like Yuuka's short internal monologue during the amusement park date in Crescendo)

Probably because I'm quite lonely too, so those scenes resonate with my own loneliness.

There are also games that try to make you feel guilty for abandoning "main" heroine - like Yume Miru Kusuri, which actively tries to push reader towards Aeka's route. Knowing about it beforehand, I decided to brace myself and leave her route for the last. And it turned out to be good move, considering that I wanted to read other routes too. While abandoning Aeka in common route made me feel bad, it would be thousand times worse if I tried to do it after reading her route. OTOH finishing whole game with her good ending made for good conclusion. (and gave it structure a bit similar to some of the Key VNs, where in order to be able to "save" main heroine, you have to complete other routes first)

Edited by adamstan

22 minutes ago, KingDragoYT said:

How did you move on from this sense of attachment/Heavy feeling and not feel like shit for knowing that you might never see these characters again.  

I just try to move on and read something else. Though I can't say it always works very well. Sometimes my impression over the previous VN I finished might affect my enjoyment of the next one. That's why I usually prefer to focus on the shorter stuff after finishing a VN I really like, or maybe even to try to focus on different media.

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

But you can - by rereading the VN ;) For example, I did this with Princess Evangile, and reading it second time was as good as the first :D Many people have one or two favorite books that they can read over and over again (for me, it's LOTR for example), so I don't see why it should be different with VNs.

So, I probably cannot offer advice about moving on from feeling like shit after finishing VN, beacuse it's a bit different for me. I might get attached to characters, but right after finishing the VN, if it has good ending / satisfying epilogue, I rather feel fulfilled/satisfied together with the characters.

OTOH there are some scenes from some VNs I've read, that moved me deeply, and can make me teary-eyed just by remembering them (like Ame's route from Dal Segno - since it was the first of this kind that I encountered, some scenes from Planetarian, Clannad etc). For some reason I'm also easily moved by the scenes that depict characters loneliness - sometimes very mundane ones.

Reveal hidden contents

(like Yuuka's short internal monologue during the amusement park date in Crescendo)

Probably because I'm quite lonely too, so those scenes resonate with my own loneliness.

There are also games that try to make you feel guilty for abandoning "main" heroine - like Yume Miru Kusuri, which actively tries to push reader towards Aeka's route. Knowing about it beforehand, I decided to brace myself and leave her route for the last. And it turned out to be good move, considering that I wanted to read other routes too. While abandoning Aeka in common route made me feel bad, it would be thousand times worse if I tried to do it after reading her route. OTOH finishing whole game with her good ending made for good conclusion. (and gave it structure a bit similar to some of the Key VNs, where in order to be able to "save" main heroine, you have to complete other routes first)

Is yume miru kusuri translated and does it have a full 18+ ver.?

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

I just try to move on and read something else. Though I can't say it always works very well. Sometimes my impression over the previous VN I finished might affect my enjoyment of the next one. That's why I usually prefer to focus on the shorter stuff after finishing a VN I really like, or maybe even to try to focus on different media.

I've tried moving onto the anime "Maahoutsukai no Yome" since I realized Tanezaki Atsumi is voicing the MC but the show also depicted loneljness and finding a home and along those lines so it catalysts the feeling and my depression

When my head is full of the last VN I read, I find it helps to write all my thoughts down. Once I've written it down, I feel its easier to put it aside, I think because I know I've recorded it somewhere, and also the processing of writing stuff down helps to sort out jumbled feelings.

How did you move on from this sense of attachment/Heavy feeling and not feel like shit for knowing that you might never see these characters again.  

If the VN was long enough, I usually find it satisfying enough remembering the journey that happened.

If I'm really home-sick after finishing a VN, I might rewatch parts of it, to kind of ease off it. In rare cases I felt like I was thinking TOO much about the series. But it was not that hard to gradually get back to the normal life.

If I finish a great route and have trouble playing the others cause I get stuck, I'll usually put the VN on hold. I don't think you can enjoy a story or route for what it is when you're mainly thinking about a different one.

One of the worst things is when the VN is great, but its too short and leaves you craving more.

Edited by Chronopolis

While these are symptoms that occurred less as time (and hundreds of VNs) passed me by, I can give you an assessment of my best pattern when attachment to an individual game, the experience, or even a particular heroine became so strong I literally couldn't put them/her/it aside in my heart and mind.

The simplest way to do it was to do something else for a while (usually a day or two).  In my case, I usually picked up a strategy game or a shooter and allowed the exhilaration of slaughter and war fill me long enough to enjoy the next VN.  I've found that the heroines that are still worth reminiscing about afterwards are usually the ones who stuck with me no matter how many VNs I played, and you won't be able to prevent yourself from comparing.  However, the worthless and/or common heroines will fade over time, their place in your heart overwhelmed by the sheer number of similar heroines you will inevitably run into.

3 hours ago, Chronopolis said:

When my head is full of the last VN I read, I find it helps to write all my thoughts down. Once I've written it down, I feel its easier to put it aside, I think because I know I've recorded it somewhere, and also the processing of writing stuff down helps to sort out jumbled feelings.

If the VN was long enough, I usually find it satisfying enough remembering the journey that happened.

If I'm really home-sick after finishing a VN, I might rewatch parts of it, to kind of ease off it. In rare cases I felt like I was thinking TOO much about the series. But it was not that hard to gradually get back to the normal life.

If I finish a great route and have trouble playing the others cause I get stuck, I'll usually put the VN on hold. I don't think you can enjoy a story or route for what it is when you're mainly thinking about a different one.

One of the worst things is when the VN is great, but its too short and leaves you craving more.

I've tried that writing it down and it did ease it a bit. I've also went back through the best scenes and tried all the stuff you said. It's been a good week since I finished both routes and I've already let go of the stuff from the route but the heavy feeling in my chest doesn't reside. It actually feels so bad that I'm actually struggling to do anything productive. I guess I really just want someone I could talk to about visual novels since no one in my group of friends play visual novels. If it's good with you do you mind giving me your Twitter and we can maybe talk about visual novels sometimes. Give me some recommendations and stuff like that. Be my senpai in visual novels or something like that lmao. My Twiiter is @KingDragoYT

I did suffer from the same thing, I have a chronic disease that made me, until a few months ago, unable to leave my house alone or play on a park, so I don't have ANY friends at all, well, I had one, but that's in the past, even nowadays I still feel the loneliness grappling down my body, wasted time passing through. My life was hard, and still is, but things change and so do I, I found a passion, Cooking, I'm aiming to become a Chef, I went to a doctor to check if I could join a Gym, if that would be bad for my health, and he said it would actually be great, and so I joined it, built for me a better and healthier body, I started to learn other languages, which is something I really love, like, talking to foreign people, breaking this sort of "Language Barrier", it's great and all. So, pretty much, I found something to live for, and so i hope for you, brother.

About the heavy feeling you said, well, I feel it whenever I finish a VN, a Book or any history at all, it's a feeling of sadness but also accomplishment for completing such a great art (I don't feel it with bad VNs). However, most of the times, I feel both happiness and sadness, sadness because I wont ever be able to feel the same feeling I had when I read it for the first time, and I'll never see the characters how I once did, and happiness because I also feel growth, a person is made by thoughts and beliefs, and you will only evolve when you learn.
The moment you meet a situation that makes you uneasy or uncomfortable, that's the place you will think the most, and thinking will make you learn, so, at least for me, when I feel it, I try not to avoid it nor think of something else, I try to take the most from it, otherwise I would be just lying to myself.
As a writer (I've worked on a few games), I can confirm to you that a Writer always tries to make the person reading learn something, they'll always try to pass a tought, a belief or a way of thinking or viewing things through words, and in MY opinion, avoiding it will only dishonor the writer and all the time they took to make it, so, as a reader, I try to take/learn the most from it, and even if I don't learn anything, it'll at least makes me realize how right my own thoughts are, and thus, it itself is a way of learning.

But, even if knowing it you still want to simply get rid of this feeling, which I will not judge you for, try to play something else, watch an anime or a series or maybe even trying out a new book you've seen on a store.

Hope i could be of help.

12 hours ago, Clephas said:

The simplest way to do it was to do something else for a while (usually a day or two). 

Pretty much this.  I've found it an effective remedy for most things that occupy my thoughts that I want to stop thinking about.

7 hours ago, Sekan Orochi said:

I did suffer from the same thing, I have a chronic disease that made me, until a few months ago, unable to leave my house alone or play on a park, so I don't have ANY friends at all, well, I had one, but that's in the past, even nowadays I still feel the loneliness grappling down my body, wasted time passing through. My life was hard, and still is, but things change and so do I, I found a passion, Cooking, I'm aiming to become a Chef, I went to a doctor to check if I could join a Gym, if that would be bad for my health, and he said it would actually be great, and so I joined it, built for me a better and healthier body, I started to learn other languages, which is something I really love, like, talking to foreign people, breaking this sort of "Language Barrier", it's great and all. So, pretty much, I found something to live for, and so i hope for you, brother.

About the heavy feeling you said, well, I feel it whenever I finish a VN, a Book or any history at all, it's a feeling of sadness but also accomplishment for completing such a great art (I don't feel it with bad VNs). However, most of the times, I feel both happiness and sadness, sadness because I wont ever be able to feel the same feeling I had when I read it for the first time, and I'll never see the characters how I once did, and happiness because I also feel growth, a person is made by thoughts and beliefs, and you will only evolve when you learn.
The moment you meet a situation that makes you uneasy or uncomfortable, that's the place you will think the most, and thinking will make you learn, so, at least for me, when I feel it, I try not to avoid it nor think of something else, I try to take the most from it, otherwise I would be just lying to myself.
As a writer (I've worked on a few games), I can confirm to you that a Writer always tries to make the person reading learn something, they'll always try to pass a tought, a belief or a way of thinking or viewing things through words, and in MY opinion, avoiding it will only dishonor the writer and all the time they took to make it, so, as a reader, I try to take/learn the most from it, and even if I don't learn anything, it'll at least makes me realize how right my own thoughts are, and thus, it itself is a way of learning.

But, even if knowing it you still want to simply get rid of this feeling, which I will not judge you for, try to play something else, watch an anime or a series or maybe even trying out a new book you've seen on a store.

Hope i could be of help.

I'm sorry to hear that man but I'm glad you've found something you're passionate about. On the other hand I really am struggling to find a passion that I can work towards to. Encountering and discovering 和泉つばす and ぱれと is probably the biggest miracle that has happened to me and I'm extremely thankful that I did. Her art enchanted me and made me want to become an illustrator myself. Though realizing the gap between us in terms of drawing and my business skills, I'm constantly discouraged. She has made a company herself, have multiple sources of income in drawing for games, selling her own merch online and in Comiket, creating her own circle/company. Most things that I as a Hong konger isn't able to do. I doubt I could create my own business since I lack creativity, and I'm not taking a business course in school so I'm fucked. Well I'm basically rambling at this point but yea, I guess my dream is to become an illustrator but I'm constantly debating over if it's really suited for me. 

Back to the main topic. I've tried watching another anime. I've watched Mahoutsukai no Yome because Tanezaki Atsumi (or in a more familiar name, Kiritani Kana or Sawasawa Sawa) voiced the main character. This was a huge mistake cuz the show dived into topics like bonds, home, family which again are stuff that I'm struggling with. Though like you said I'm not regretting that I watched lr experienced a show or VN. I'm glad that I did and huge props to the producers that made me feel that strongly. Though it's already been almost 2 weeks since I last finished the 2 routes and I'm still struggling with this feeling. It might be something else other than the VN, maybe with stuff that's involve with my future or about how slow the licensing companies are in localizing titles, therefore not being able to experience titles that I wish i could. I guess they all contribute to this feeling I'm experiencing. I'm rambling again but I'm just trying to put my thoughts into words like the other user suggested. It would be great if someone actually reads it and give me some feedback though. 

On 8/2/2019 at 4:19 AM, KingDragoYT said:

If it's good with you do you mind giving me your Twitter and we can maybe talk about visual novels sometimes. Give me some recommendations and stuff like that. Be my senpai in visual novels or something like that lmao. My Twiiter is @KingDragoYT

Yeah, it's @Chronopolize. Feel free to pm me.

I dunno, as a non-artist, I feel like its the easier and carefree to find a main job and do my hobby as a hobby (also the unknowns and marketing of entrepreneurship makes me uncomfortable). Finding a way to monetize your passion is a difficult task, you probably need some mentors along the way and a lot of work. There are varying degrees, from freelance workers who have some an online presence, to content creators who have a brand, to professionals who frequently work on company projects. Nowadays, online shops and patreon makes it much easier for a single person to monetize, though you still need the skill and an audience.

Edited by Chronopolis