Majokoi aka Witch's Love Diary Release by Sekai Project [UPDATED]

littleshogun

A handful of reviews have popped up (undoubtedly from free keys, but what can you do), in case they help anyone make a decision:

But for my money, the best is this half-English half-Chinese review I spotted from a Steam user.

我能怎么办,我只能边骂骂咧咧边诚实的掏钱。
WHAT F*CK CAN I DO? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

我誓与ALICE和REN酱共存亡!
To live or die with Alice and Ren chan forever, I swear.

REN酱那么可爱,为什么?为什么?为什么?为什么剧情这么少啊啊。
Why Ren's plot is so short? Ren is cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

狗神煌天下第一!
Kilacoro sense is NO.1!

Edited by Fred the Barber
trying to fix the weird-ass formatting

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, started this at the weekend and so far it seems to be a pure nukige. Alice finds a diary where a scum protagonist pretty much bangs every female being that can't run away fast enough. But naturally, everyone of them is willingly spreading their legs as soon as he gets in range of 5 meters. I've rarely seen such an unlikable protagonist. If it continues like that I'll definitely drop it.

Edited by ChaosRaven

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

Alice finds a diary where a scum protagonist pretty much bangs every female being that can't run away fast enough. But naturally, everyone of them is willingly spreading their legs as soon as he gets in range of 5 meters. I've rarely seen such an unlikable protagonist. If it continues like that I'll definitely drop it.

same. i tempted to drop it. but i changed my mind after a good while.

any walkthrough of this? i missed one CG and the walkthrough from otakulair which translated the walkthrough of saint seiya(?) doesnt help

On 8/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, Fred the Barber said:

A handful of reviews have popped up (undoubtedly from free keys, but what can you do), in case they help anyone make a decision:

But for my money, the best is this half-English half-Chinese review I spotted from a Steam user.

So not the best review, but the best promotion? xD

16 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Hmm, started this at the weekend and so far it seems to be a pure nukige. Alice finds a diary where a scum protagonist pretty much bangs every female being that can't run away fast enough. But naturally, everyone of them is willingly spreading their legs as soon as he gets in range of 5 meters. I've rarely seen such an unlikable protagonist. If it continues like that I'll definitely drop it.

The game starts after the prologue. Trust me, it changes character fast. I'm not a fan of the prologue either.

Majokoi is a good one. The pacing is absolutely dreadful and half the "routes" could've just been cut entirely. The setup is interesting and the main girl is such a silly quirky doofus, Alice is just a blast. During the stretches that are the actual plot, I was basically glued to the screen and couldn't stop reading. Her story ends really strong.

Just a small thing... very minor spoilers

Spoiler

There's a second ending, an ending for the overall plot of Jabberwock and the desert part. It's fucking annoying to get; you have to 1. wait in the main menu forever and then 2. skip through 80% of the whole VN. Select [Remember] 4 times and you are there.

Honestly, it's not worth the effort.

Spoiler

I feel like it kind of breaks the strong emotional note I just ended on and the tone (and background music) of that very last scene is so bad: It's as if it's building up excitement to a new chapter or a sequel and feels completely out of place.

Edited by TexasDice

19 hours ago, TexasDice said:

Majokoi is a good one. The pacing is absolutely dreadful and half the "routes" could've just been cut entirely. The setup is interesting and the main girl is such a silly quirky doofus, Alice is just a blast. During the stretches that are the actual plot, I was basically glued to the screen and couldn't stop reading. Her story ends really strong.

Just a small thing... very minor spoilers

Hide contents

There's a second ending, an ending for the overall plot of Jabberwock and the desert part. It's fucking annoying to get; you have to 1. Read the "Replay" option under the Extras menu and then 2. skip through 80% of the whole VN. Select [Remember] 4 times and you are there.

Honestly, it's not worth the effort.

Hide contents

I feel like it kind of breaks the strong emotional note I just ended on and the tone (and background music) of that very last scene is so bad: It's as if it's building up excitement to a new chapter or a sequel and feels completely out of place.

Spoiler

My take on it is that the hidden ending should be viewed as being less about what actually happens in it and more about how it presents the reverse side of the coin for the overarching themes. It's showcasing the difference between Alice and Alys and how they and Takumi ended up reacting to the game's big ideas: that beauty and infatuation are fleeting, that a lasting love accepts this, and that a story without an ending is fundamentally broken, even a simple love story.

Both endings deal head-on with these statements. Alice's ending accepts them, embraces them, and tells a tale made even more heartwarming by them, where Alys's ending rejects the premises and seeks to tell a story that never ends. As you'd expect, since the latter is in violent contradiction to what the story would have us believe, the results are gruesome; the story (Takumi) gets crushed in the process. It's actually the point! It's definitely not building to anything subsequent; while it's making it clear that the story never ends, it's telling you that that's a bad thing!

tl;dr: Alice's ending is the only reasonable headcanon; Alys's ending is the cautionary tale.

And since it's on the same topic, I'll take this opportunity to add some more thoughts on the themes that I wrote up a while ago. Would not recommend reading until you've finished Alice's ending.

Spoiler

The Witch’s Love Diary is, in its oddball way, a very meta VN, and even more oddly, it’s precisely because of this that the whole of it becomes so relatable to a VN player. Takumi Sakurai is you: an unreasonably desirable guy who romances the ladies one by one and leaves them behind at the height of their shared love, magicking away their memories and beginning the cycle anew with another girl. It’s the fate he chose, but does it bring him happiness? Not really. Happiness, for him, would be breaking the cycle. Happiness is ending the eternal refrain, breaking free of the clock’s circle, and finally moving forward, together with Alice, toward the story’s conclusion. Because beauty is fleeting, not eternal. Because our stories were always meant to end. Because that’s what makes us human.

3 hours ago, wyldstrykr said:
  Hide contents

which part of the "replay"?? all i see is h-scenes

Right here:

Spoiler

toqbAG1.png

Did you finish reading it? I browsed the CGs, noticed 1 was missing and when I wanted to go back to the main menu, I saw this Replay option.

44 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

And since it's on the same topic, I'll take this opportunity to add some more thoughts on the themes that I wrote up a while ago. Would not recommend reading until you've finished Alice's ending.

#deep

But it's there. A bit unfortunate that this commentary and awareness is undercut by really stupid filler. Kanon&Rei #1 was actually just the entire prologue again with ~15% new lines. 

11 minutes ago, wyldstrykr said:

clicking that takes me to the h-scene replay. so which h-scene?

Oh wait, you're right.

What the hell did I click? It wasn't Continue, that just got me back to the last chapter.

See what I meant when I said it's shitty and fucking annoying to get? @Fred the Barber, throw me an Assist here

Edited by TexasDice

Uhh, so, to get the first post-ending scene, you just wait at the title screen for a while, and then it'll take you straight to a short post-ending scene.

After you've seen that, you just start a new game (either from prologue or the other option, I don't have it handy), and the new options are available.

I read a bit more, but while I see the potential in the overall idea of the story, the writing is just far too bad to live up to it. The biggest offender is still the protagonist. For what he's supposed to represent, he should be somewhat sinister, charismatic and mysterious. But instead he's the absolute epitome of bland and boring. There's simply no way I'd be able to continue the story with this scumbag as a protagonist anymore.

-- Dropped

On 8/14/2019 at 11:17 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Uhh, so, to get the first post-ending scene, you just wait at the title screen for a while, and then it'll take you straight to a short post-ending scene.

that did the trick. ty.

also how do you supposed to figure that one out??? im sure teXas dice ask the same question in to heart 2. do you like "of these cute girls wearing cute clothes are adorable, let me stare it for few minutes" or something like that?

I'd just update the opening post with the VA info for the main heroines.

If you want to drop this, then it's okay because the MC here could be very divisive with him being playboy as the outward appearence (Mod Clephas dislike it as well). Although if you manage to find the hidden meaning like Fred here, then it's very good. And yeah I'm very understand what he said, because I remember that I read a review that mention the same thing about the story.

On 17.8.2019 at 5:35 PM, Fred the Barber said:

It's certainly a divisive game, but mostly WRT the secret ending (a lot of people don't like it, which is understandable).

I think the secret ending is incredibly stupid and ruins everything. The regular ending however was super worth reading the whole thing for. 

Edited by TexasDice

On 13.08.2019 at 5:41 PM, Fred the Barber said:

The game starts after the prologue. Trust me, it changes character fast. I'm not a fan of the prologue either.

Unfortunately, such behaviour in prologue can give wrong impression of game for players (by the way, that's why we need demo versions of game to test it before buying).

My friend also dropped that VN and even didn't finish prologue, and my words about "please, read next" don't convince them to continue. Eh... That's minus of that game.