Tasogare no Sinsemilla Translation Project (?) Script Extraction

Hello,

I decided to perhaps try my hand at translation after reading several untranslated VNs. I added the "tl project" and "recruiting" tags, since I hope to turn this into a project. I've tried using various xp3 tools and even GARbro, but there seems to be some encryption I can't figure out. Games made by the same developer before and after this game released do have encryption schemes in GARbro. Could someone lend me a hand at extracting the scripts? Thank you! Oh, and here's a download link for my xp3 file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HSQwMDiMJj96CAAMZCGEQ3SCspKPuARu/view?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, startrekfan22 said:

I decided to perhaps try my hand at translation after reading several untranslated VNs.

If you've only read a several untranslated VNs, then you're likely not yet ready to translate. Especially not a decently sized title with a semblance of plot like Tasogare.

As for tools themselves, back in the day, I think I saw somewhere on the net tools specifically designed for Tasogare. Try googling and seeing if you can find it. Right now I can't dig out anything, but I am fairly sure I did see someone sharing tools for Tasogare somewhere.

There's a way to figure out the encryption on Kirikiri VNs too, but I forgot the method. Someone on Github shared it back in the day, so try googling it with "Github" in search terms.

Thanks for your feedback and responses everyone! I haven't been able to find any tools for Sinsemilla, but it seems Applique's DRM removing patch may have also removed encryption (?). I tried out a few tools here and there like KrkrExtract and GARbro, as well as KiriKiri Tools, but XP3Viewer miraculously worked! I now have all scripts in plaintext, along with other resources for the game!

16 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

If you've only read a several untranslated VNs, then you're likely not yet ready to translate. Especially not a decently sized title with a semblance of plot like Tasogare.

You certainly have a point, Infernoplex, but even so I'd like to try my hand at it. From what I've played so far, the language is not as hard and nuanced as Hatsuyuki Sakura, plus even if I fail, there are have been no active translation projects over the nine years since its release, so I don't think anyone will mind. It'll certainly be a fun learning experience, and a way to give back to the community if I do succeed (one day)!

4 hours ago, startrekfan22 said:

Thanks for your feedback and responses everyone! I haven't been able to find any tools for Sinsemilla, but it seems Applique's DRM removing patch may have also removed encryption (?). I tried out a few tools here and there like KrkrExtract and GARbro, as well as KiriKiri Tools, but XP3Viewer miraculously worked! I now have all scripts in plaintext, along with other resources for the game!

You certainly have a point, Infernoplex, but even so I'd like to try my hand at it. From what I've played so far, the language is not as hard and nuanced as Hatsuyuki Sakura, plus even if I fail, there are have been no active translation projects over the nine years since its release, so I don't think anyone will mind. It'll certainly be a fun learning experience, and a way to give back to the community if I do succeed (one day)!

Later on, it gets harder.  I do recommend you at least play it through once before you embark on translating it, deliberately picking out and listing terms you didn't quite understand so that you can look them up beforehand.  If you are going to try to translate something with as many mythological connections as Tasogare, you need to know what you don't quite get before you actually dive into it and get stuck.

Just now, Clephas said:

Later on, it gets harder.  I do recommend you at least play it through once before you embark on translating it, deliberately picking out and listing terms you didn't quite understand so that you can look them up beforehand.  If you are going to try to translate something with as many mythological connections as Tasogare, you need to know what you don't quite get before you actually dive into it and get stuck.

Thanks for letting me know! I'm almost at Shouko's route, so I figured I'd at least try my hand at the prologue and see how that turns out. But yeah, when i continue my playthrough, I will keep in mind to write down the harder lines.

Hello anyone! I don't know if there's someone still reading this post, but I managed to resolve my extraction issue. However, now that I've translated some lines, I'm having trouble getting the game to work with the patch I made. I get the following error, and I think it may have to do with font, but I don't know how to resolve that either.

---------------------------
Information
致命的なエラーが発生しました。
ファイル :    行 : 4
タグ : next ( ← エラーの発生した前後のタグを示している場合もあります )
ANSI 文字列を UNICODE 文字列に変換できません。現在のコードページで解釈できない文字が含まれてます。正しいデータが指定されているかを確認してください。データが破損している可能性もあります
OK   

6 hours ago, startrekfan22 said:

Hello anyone! I don't know if there's someone still reading this post, but I managed to resolve my extraction issue. However, now that I've translated some lines, I'm having trouble getting the game to work with the patch I made. I get the following error, and I think it may have to do with font, but I don't know how to resolve that either.

Information
致命的なエラーが発生しました。
ファイル :    行 : 4
タグ : next ( ← エラーの発生した前後のタグを示している場合もあります )
ANSI 文字列を UNICODE 文字列に変換できません。現在のコードページで解釈できない文字が含まれてます。正しいデータが指定されているかを確認してください。データが破損している可能性もあります
OK   

Make sure you are using UTF16LE with BOM

3 hours ago, uyjulian said:

Make sure you are using UTF16LE with BOM

I have tried converting to UTF16 Little Endian with Byte-order mark, but it still doesn't seem to work. Thank you for letting me know of this, though. As this is my first time doing this, there's much I don't know.

8 hours ago, startrekfan22 said:

I have tried converting to UTF16 Little Endian with Byte-order mark, but it still doesn't seem to work. Thank you for letting me know of this, though. As this is my first time doing this, there's much I don't know.

Look in a hex editor and make sure the first two bytes are "FF" "FE"

On 7/18/2019 at 5:15 AM, startrekfan22 said:

You certainly have a point, Infernoplex, but even so I'd like to try my hand at it.

That's fair. I am certainly not here to discourage anyone from trying their hand at fanTLing. I myself want to TL VNs one day after all.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:15 AM, startrekfan22 said:

From what I've played so far, the language is not as hard and nuanced as Hatsuyuki Sakura, plus even if I fail, there are have been no active translation projects over the nine years since its release, so I don't think anyone will mind. It'll certainly be a fun learning experience, and a way to give back to the community if I do succeed (one day)!

That indeed seems true, although I am not sure nobody will ever pick it up. In the last couple of years, we had lots of official localizers picking up bunch of VNs, both old and new. So Tasogare getting officially licensed is not out of the table. It's certainly unlikely, but not impossible. I wish you luck in your endevaours in any case.

Btw, you managed to discourage me xD HatsuSaku is very high on my wishlist (as are most of Saga Planets VNs - especially Natsuyume Nagisa). Hearing you say that it's not that easy to TL it sounds a bit worrying, but I am hoping it's not that hard. Maybe with experience, that VN would look simple enough to TL ^^