Sol Press Shop is now live. Yotsunoha is now available and there's limited Onikiss merchandise.

2 hours ago, JoshB2084 said:

18+ patch is actually free:  Panty Press

Sure, but you can just save yourself the trouble and buy it uncut on JAST, which is kind of my point. Not to mention, this way new customers won't know that there is a patch, as there is no mention of it on their website. Seems utterly pointless to me, as they already have their censored games on Steam. Why buy from this sore when you can buy A) the uncensored game on JAST or B) exactly the same version on Steam.

The payment processor issue is clearly fixable, as Denpasoft, JAST, Fakku etc etc are all already selling eroge. They clearly chose some processor that's overly strict on adult content, and that's their own fault. They are selling eroge. What the hell are they going to do with games like Nukitashi? That game physically cannot be sold in an "all-ages version." You have no game left at that point.

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

This is correct. Shopify.

I wonder what they're going to do with that first "h-light novel" they say they've licensed...  Patches for a book?

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

The payment processor issue is clearly fixable, as Denpasoft, JAST, Fakku etc etc are all already selling eroge.

And at least one of those companies has payment processor issues on a regular basis.  I don't know how MangaGamer keeps having trouble, but they have had to repeatedly change payment processors, and they keep having to go with smaller processors.  This means they're prone to things like 'oops we can't take any CC orders, we need a new payment processor, sorry, you can't buy anything from our store right now.'  Which takes weeks to sort out every time it happens.

Here's an interesting article on how bad things can be.

I don't know why Fakku or Denpasoft don't have trouble the way MG does.  (I've got a pretty good inkling why Jast doesn't; they're affiliated with J-List and no banker is going to play silly games and risk pissing off the J-list account holder.)

8 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

This means they're prone to things like 'oops we can't take any CC orders, we need a new payment processor, sorry, you can't buy anything from our store right now.'  Which takes weeks to sort out every time it happens.

A2rcI2K.png

It's been like this for days, maybe even since AX.

10 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

And at least one of those companies has payment processor issues on a regular basis.  I don't know how MangaGamer keeps having trouble, but they have had to repeatedly change payment processors, and they keep having to go with smaller processors.  This means they're prone to things like 'oops we can't take any CC orders, we need a new payment processor, sorry, you can't buy anything from our store right now.'  Which takes weeks to sort out every time it happens.

Here's an interesting article on how bad things can be.

I don't know why Fakku or Denpasoft don't have trouble the way MG does.  (I've got a pretty good inkling why Jast doesn't; they're affiliated with J-List and no banker is going to play silly games and risk pissing off the J-list account holder.)

I did not mention Mangagamer, actually. MG seems to be the only company facing this issue often, which makes sense, seeing as they have a large library of very dark games, featuing everything from lolis, rape, guro and so on. For standard companies without these types of games, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. (There's also the JAST approach of cutting the content, and leaking a "fan-made" patch days after release to avoid these things, if you plan on licensing controversial games.)

Mangagamer's issues aren't really comparable to the other eroge companies.

3 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

Yeah, they have to keep it all-ages and innocent because of payment processors, I guess.

Just dont translate borderline pedo titles and that's a non issue i'd bet. Fortunately we have at least 2 incoming.

Edited by Stormwolf

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Just dont translate borderline pedo titles and that's a non issue i'd bet.

Ignoring the fact that there would be less Lolige which are always better than game with an old hags, yes. But the price is too high.

4 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Why buy from this sore when you can buy A) the uncensored game on JAST or B) exactly the same version on Steam.

JAST is slow, Steam has drm. I don't see any problems with patches unless the buyer is dumb.
Also, maybe they want to make two different stores. One is all-age and one is 18+. Like Jbox and Jlist. There is no point in 18+ right now.

Edited by ShinRaikdou

Personally I'm glad that they retained the "all ages version + optional patch" approach.

4 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Seems utterly pointless to me, as they already have their censored games on Steam.

Not all of them. Yotsunoha has been rejected from Steam, and I want all-ages version of it (and PS2 version suffers from horrible image quality, so it's a no go) :P

Edited by adamstan

7 hours ago, Dergonu said:

An all-ages only store. (??) You are actually getting a more complete product buying their games from JAST. They don’t even link to their patches on the store. 

5 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Sure, but you can just save yourself the trouble and buy it uncut on JAST, which is kind of my point. Not to mention, this way new customers won't know that there is a patch, as there is no mention of it on their website. Seems utterly pointless to me, as they already have their censored games on Steam. Why buy from this sore when you can buy A) the uncensored game on JAST or B) exactly the same version on Steam.

The payment processor issue is clearly fixable, as Denpasoft, JAST, Fakku etc etc are all already selling eroge. They clearly chose some processor that's overly strict on adult content, and that's their own fault. They are selling eroge. What the hell are they going to do with games like Nukitashi? That game physically cannot be sold in an "all-ages version." You have no game left at that point.

6 hours ago, Infernoplex said:

Yeah, they have to keep it all-ages and innocent because of payment processors, I guess.

I agree, friends. JAST store is definitely better than Sol's new one. 

1 hour ago, ShinRaikdou said:

Ignoring the fact that there would be less Lolige which are always better than game with an old hags, yes. But the price is too high.

JAST is slow, Steam has drm. I don't see any problems with patches unless the buyer is dumb.
Also, maybe they want to make two different stores. One is all-age and one is 18+. Like Jbox and Jlist. There is no point in 18+ right now.

At what age do they become an "old hag?"

8 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Just dont translate borderline pedo titles and that's a non issue i'd bet. Fortunately we have at least 2 incoming.

Payment processors don't look at titles the way steam does. It's simply a yes/no for adult content, and the vast majority say no.

On 7/14/2019 at 5:17 AM, Dergonu said:

I did not mention Mangagamer, actually...Mangagamer's issues aren't really comparable to the other eroge companies.

You did, when you said 'etc etc'.  MangaGamer is one of those other companies.  Your point also can't reasonably be addressed without pointing out the fact that issues like this are common.

The point that I'm making is that you can't just gloss over MangaGamer.  It's directly on point.  I'm explicitly comparing Sol Press' gymnastics (with the clean-site-and-patch-elsewhere smoke and mirrors) to MangaGamer because while the symptoms/coping mechanisms might be different, the root cause of the issue is the same in both cases.  There are no good solutions here.

I mean, I guess Sol Press could sue a bank for viewpoint discrimination against them.  But they don't have deep enough pockets to tank the legal opposition, never mind the fallout.  Licensors decide 'maybe let's not sign with the people making huge waves'.  A firestorm of controversy erupts after the smell of good legal drama draws a media circus, and they figure out what exactly Sol Press is selling.

Sol Press also isn't big enough to attract the 'don't mess with the money cart' attitude.  They see MangaGamer as a good example of what not to do (MG can't unbundle the sites at this point - they can't even get a simple forum back up - so they have to muddle through with the payment processors they can get).

What does that leave?  Something like what they're doing.

24 minutes ago, Nandemonai said:

-Snip-

No. I specifically avoided mentioning MG because their issue IS unique. All the other big loc companies have an 18+ site, and run it just fine. It's an objective fact that what Sol Press is doing goes away from this norm. That's it, my point is made. We are having different arguments at this point.

The key difference you're missing is that Sol Press is an all=ages company which sells more than just all ages visual novels. They also sell other products (especially LNs and manga) from license holders which will not accept being associated with adult content (unlike most VN license holders, since even those releasing all ages content are typically comfortable with 18+ associations, by the nature of the VN industry).

There could conceivably be both an all ages site for Sol Press and an 18+ site for the separate company which deals with 18+ releases of the associated adult content of some of the VNs for which Sol Press releases all-ages versions. However, said site does not currently exist. Maybe it will in the future; I do not know any more than you. The all-ages shop is a sound business decision, because they will benefit from selling their LNs and manga, and yes their all-ages VNs, themselves. Whether it makes sense for that separate company to make an 18+ site to sell their wares, and to then go through all the associated likely payment processor woes mentioned here, is a separate concern.

I'll also add that, from my understanding, payment processors handling adult content typically charge a great deal more overhead due to the higher-risk nature of the product, especially when dealing with small companies.

Long story short, it's a lot more complicated than you're claiming.

Edited by Fred the Barber
just fixing some typos

9 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

The key difference you're missing is that Sol Press is an all=ages company which sells more than just all ages visual novels. They also sell other products (especially LNs and manga) from license holders which will not accept being associated with adult content (unlike most VN license holders, since even those releasing all ages content are typically comfortable with 18+ associations, by the nature of the VN industry).

There could conceivably be both an all ages site for Sol Press and an 18+ site for the separate company which deals with 18+ releases of the associated adult content of some of the VNs for which Sol Press releases all-ages versions. However, said site does not currently exist. Maybe it will in the future; I do not know any more than you. The all-ages shop is a sound business decision, because they will benefit from selling their LNs and manga, and yes their all-ages VNs, themselves. Whether it makes sense for that separate company to make an 18+ site to sell their wares, and to then go through all the associated likely payment processor woes mentioned here, is a separate concern.

I'll also add that, from my understanding, payment processors handling adult content typically charge a great deal more overhead due to the higher-risk nature of the product, especially when dealing with small companies.

I believe in you, you play my favorite game series Atelier :meguface:

36 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Yes, very true.

I guess I have an issue with the fact that they are trying to remain an "all-ages" company, yet they localize tons of eroge, including games as fetishy as Nukitashi. (A game they cannot possibly make an all-ages version of, and therefore CANNOT sell on their own store!) Of course, I guess they could just sell it on sites like JAST and cut their losses for that particular title, but you have to admit, this is kind of weird. Why localize this if they know they can't even sell it.
I just find it so puzzling that a company that wants to stay so mainstream and "all-age" friendly is so dead set on doing eroge in the first place. It really would make more sense for them to use the "Panty Press" brand like a separate company, like Sekai did with Denpasoft. No matter how hard they try, they won't be able to avoid the fact that they ARE selling eroge, lots of them. I just don't see this all-age only site as a good idea, considering the amount of eroge they localize.