Anime that were better than their original VN's?

Speeny

Clannad, most likely. I watched the anime first and absolutely loved it, but dropped the VN on the second route because it was kind of long. Can't say I agree about Air though. In my opinion, the VN was just slightly better.

And, you know, that's the only example I can think of. Other than that, even the best anime adaptations are generally not as good as original works (including Steins Gate and Higurashi). And even decent VN adaptations are very rare, usually they are pretty terrible.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I personally preferred Danganronpa the Animation over the original Danganronpa VN.  Additionally, while it's not an adaptation, I preferred Danganronpa 3 over any of the VNs in the series.

I'd say the two Fate/Stay Night animes for the Saber and Rin routes. Not that the VN would be bad, but the animes have incredible high production values while the VN didn't even have voice acting, the art does show its age and it uses the rather old fashioned NVL system. I'd be the first one to buy a VN remake with full voice acting and modern art though.

I also agree with the Key VN's, especially Kanon.

2 hours ago, GXOALMD said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I personally preferred Danganronpa the Animation over the original Danganronpa VN.  Additionally, while it's not an adaptation, I preferred Danganronpa 3 over any of the VNs in the series.

It may be the first time I hear anyone says that. Care to elaborate ? I'm quite curious.

As for my answer to the post itself, nothing exactly comes to mind, I mean if we take things in their entirety. However, there are some things I loved in the Little Busters anime more than in the VN.

The bus accident for one thing. While it only had a few lines of explantion in the VN, the graphic scene in the anime had a heavier impact. Also I found the dream part at the end of Kurugaya's route better in the anime. Probably due to the aesthetic that was really pleasing.

Edited by MIUUZICK

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

I'd say the two Fate/Stay Night animes for the Saber and Rin routes. Not that the VN would be bad, but the animes have incredible high production values while the VN didn't even have voice acting, the art does show its age and it uses the rather old fashioned NVL system. I'd be the first one to buy a VN remake with full voice acting and modern art though.

I also agree with the Key VN's, especially Kanon.

The supposed 'Saber route' anime was pretty poorly done, with random scenes from all paths included in such a way that it made no sense when you took a step back and looked at it seriously.  UBW anime was good and ufotable did a great job with the presentation, but I can't really say I prefer the anime... also, NVL system's slow death is mostly because narrative-focused VNs are smaller in number than they used to be.  There are a lot of VNs out there that still use it for narrative-heavy scenes, lol.  

Shuffle's anime comes to mind... if nothing else, I loved how they handled Kaede in the anime.  I'm referring to the original version of the VN here, rather than the partially rewritten and expanded versions that came out later.

35 minutes ago, Clephas said:

The supposed 'Saber route' anime was pretty poorly done, with random scenes from all paths included in such a way that it made no sense when you took a step back and looked at it seriously.  UBW anime was good and ufotable did a great job with the presentation, but I can't really say I prefer the anime...

Well, the 'poorly done' anime is the main reason why the Fate franchise is so popular nowadays. And while it took some liberties, it followed mostly the Saber route. It also had way less inconsistencies than Unlimited Blade Works which made a dumb clown out of Kotomine Kirei (I'll never forgive that), and that 'triple suicide' to grant Rin her 50 cm titan steel plot armor was probably the worst scene in the whole VN. Anyway, I still liked it despite its flaws. Can't say the same for Fate/Zero though which I never finished. I take a few plot inconsistencies over a bunch of soulless characters and a pacing from hell anyday. <_<

2 hours ago, MIUUZICK said:
4 hours ago, GXOALMD said:

It may be the first time I hear anyone says that. Care to elaborate ? I'm quite curious.

For the VN, Danganronpa's script felt very padded (admittedly, this is an issue I have with a lot of VNs, but Danganronpa is a particularly bad offender).  The main reason I take particular issue with Danganronpa's padding is that rather than having a bunch of scenes that don't matter, there are a bunch of lines that don't matter; this is most problematic during the trial segments when quite frequently multiple characters will say pretty much the same thing one right after the other (bonus points when they're all declaring that the past ~20 minutes haven't solved anything).  The anime however suffers from the opposite problem where 13 episodes isn't really sufficient given how each chapter of the VN is basically a standalone story.  The anime loses out on a lot of the character development and most of the build up to plot reveals as well as all of the minigames.  At the end of the day, I don't feel that either medium does the story justice, but whenever I try to reread the VN I find myself getting bored quickly meanwhile whenever I watch an episode of the anime it usually gets me to smile and I often watch a few more episodes.

As for the Danganronpa 3 anime, that falls into personal preference, I am completely biased towards it for multiple reasons.  For starters, while it's not the first anime I ever watched, it's largely the reason I got into anime.  For the future arc, the killing game is much more in line with what I'm normally into as far as diminishing cast stories (though I'm still upset that the blood is red).  For the despair arc, though it had a slow start, I felt it did a good job binding all of the installments together (especially given how the first two VNs felt tangentially related at best).

I could probably go into more details if I took some time to revisit them, but realistically this sums up my reasoning.

2 hours ago, Clephas said:

Shuffle's anime comes to mind... if nothing else, I loved how they handled Kaede in the anime.  I'm referring to the original version of the VN here, rather than the partially rewritten and expanded versions that came out later.

I'm a little confused here. Does your hierarchy go like Expanded VNs>Anime>OG VN or are the expanded VNs at the bottom of the stack?

Just now, tahu157 said:

I'm a little confused here. Does your hierarchy go like Expanded VNs>Anime>OG VN or are the expanded VNs at the bottom of the stack?

Expanded is best, then the anime, then the oldest version.  For better or worse, the oldest version was written under a lot of restrictions from Navel that were lifted after the anime came out and it was decided to make the expanded version.