Nicely done harem

SkraalQ

So I was talking with a friend and realised I've never played a VN with a nicely done harem.

What I mean by "nicely done harem" is a non-nukige, plot based (not magical shit "we've to fuck the MC collectively for mana" thingy, but realistic) harem route where 2 or more heroines end up with the MC without it looking stupid and out of the blue, but rather they being at the very least skeptic about it, maybe not wanting it at the start, etc.

Any tips? :mare:

Grisaia maybe? It's kind of low-key though, as the final game doesn't focus on romance. Generally harem with reasonable/believable story sounds like an oxymoron, as JP VNs generally don't include genuinely polyamorous characters that would make it work. In EVNs it happens... But I can't think of a game I'd be genuinely willing to recommend.

Not really plot based but if Moege are okay I can think of Nekopara, Karakara and Neko-nin ex heart. Though out of these I think the only one where there is a bit of awkward feelings towards the harem from the girls is Karakara, though maybe not to the degree you want.

Edited by bakauchuujin

Probably, doesn't exist. That's why I prefer linear VNs nowadays.

40 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Grisaia maybe?

Nah, I don't think that was very realistic. Honestly, I thought the last game would be better if they just went with one girl. Not that it would be possible without getting 90% of the audience pissed off.

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

Ryuukishi Bloody Saga is one of my favorites, and it has a proper, functional harem. (So none of that "I gotta suck your dick for mana to save the world" shit.) Sadly it's not translated. I'm not sure if you're only asking for TLed games or not. If so, just... ignore me... :ph34r:

Non TL'd is OK, thanks! That looks amazing, will give it a try :mare:

33 minutes ago, bakauchuujin said:

Not really plot based but if Moege are okay I can think of Nekopara, Karakara and Neko-nin ex heart. Though out of these I think the only one where there is a bit of awkward feelings towards the harem from the girls is Karakara, though maybe not to the degree you want.

Yeah, I'm looking more for what you describe in karakara, some sort of love triangle/quadrangle/Xangle lol, will look at it.

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Generally harem with reasonable/believable story sounds like an oxymoron, as JP VNs generally don't include genuinely polyamorous characters that would make it work.

Absolutelly agree, that's why I need help :rubycry: maybe there is some hidden gem!

2 hours ago, SkraalQ said:

Absolutelly agree, that's why I need help :rubycry: maybe there is some hidden gem!

The "gem" part sounds particularly tricky IMHO. I mean, I can say I enjoyed the harem ending in Sakura Santa, because it involves the three heroines coming together and deciding to share the protagonist after some amusing bickering (and without really asking about his opinion),  but I wouldn't call it a compelling story. :D

If you're looking for love triangles/rectanges etc. that evolve into harems maybe you want to check the appropriate routes in Shiny Days? It's quite over-the-top and borderline nukige, but it kind of treats its drama seriously and some endings are quite satisfying.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Finished Sengoku Koihime recently. Has a giant harem and the romance is pretty meh because of the number of characters, but thanks to that there are many compelling girls.

Other than that, umm... Hikari no Umi no Apeiria? Romance is pretty simple, but loved the plot and character interactions.

You can also go on the Light Novel/Web Novel side and get flooded with harems too. :wahaha:

3 hours ago, Riku said:

Finished Sengoku Koihime recently. Has a giant harem and the romance is pretty meh because of the number of characters, but thanks to that there are many compelling girls.

Other than that, umm... Hikari no Umi no Apeiria? Romance is pretty simple, but loved the plot and character interactions.

You can also go on the Light Novel/Web Novel side and get flooded with harems too. :wahaha:

When you add the 'Nice' in front of the harem, there are a handful of LNs only.

Was wondering when someone would bring up the Koihime series.  Koihime Musou (the one in English) is worth looking at.  MC-kun is put into a position where, historically, dudes would actually have a harem, so it's not as completely ridiculous as it usually is.  And the characters actually manage to each be interesting and well written (which, considering the sheer number, is no mean feat).