Should I Read Higurashi Arcs 1-6 and/ or Umeniko

aliciarune

So yeah, a while back I brought both Higurahsi and Umeniko (home I'm spelling this right) visual novels games, but haven't had time to read them. Truth is, I saw the anime of both, the latter being horrible for me and Higurashi being okay. However I heard from people saying the visual novels are much better, though the problem with watching Higurashi is I know what's going to happen in the vn so I fear it may be boring. Also, I'm not a fan of the NVL writing style or the backgrounds very much in either of these visual novels. However, I am wondering, should I just suck it up and read them? Are they good? And if so, which series should I read first? 

Edited by aliciarune

17 minutes ago, aliciarune said:

However I heard from people saying the visual novels are much better, though the problem with watching Higurashi is I know what's going to happen in the vn so I fear it may be boring.

I read the VN after watching the anime, and I enjoyed it quite a lot! The first 1.5 episodes were indeed pretty boring, but after that there was always enough of small details that didn't make it into the anime adaptation, and the story is constructed in a way that you only notice some small details after you have completed the story already, so overall I enjoyed reading the VN a lot more than I did watching the anime. The real problem right now is that the translation isn't finished yet, but, well, you already know how it ends so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

As for whether you should start with Higurashi or Umineko, I's say, just pick yourself what you want to read more. While Umineko is technically considered the sequel to Higurashi, the stories are mostly independent so this doesn't really matter. I personally enjoyed Umineko a bit more, but Higurashi is also pretty great.

54 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I read the VN after watching the anime, and I enjoyed it quite a lot! The first 1.5 episodes were indeed pretty boring, but after that there was always enough of small details that didn't make it into the anime adaptation, and the story is constructed in a way that you only notice some small details after you have completed the story already, so overall I enjoyed reading the VN a lot more than I did watching the anime. The real problem right now is that the translation isn't finished yet, but, well, you already know how it ends so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

As for whether you should start with Higurashi or Umineko, I's say, just pick yourself what you want to read more. While Umineko is technically considered the sequel to Higurashi, the stories are mostly independent so this doesn't really matter. I personally enjoyed Umineko a bit more, but Higurashi is also pretty great.

Thanks for the info. I know the anime of Umeniko people didn't like too much, but I've heard the vn is much better. For Higurashi, I'll likely like the characters more though. Still, I wanna give it a try down the line, both of them. Should i skip the first episode? 

1 hour ago, aliciarune said:

Should i skip the first episode? 

I wouldn't recommend that. There still were some details that were skipped in the anime adaptation, though, perhaps, not as many as in the later episodes.

Edit. Oh, and you probably shouldn't judge whether you will like the characters in Umineko based on the anime adaptation. I haven't watched it myself, but I heard it was incredibly rushed and completely messed up characterization for most of them. In my opinion, it's actually the characters that make Umineko so great.

Edited by Dreamysyu

30 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I wouldn't recommend that. There still were some details that were skipped in the anime adaptation, though, perhaps, not as many as in the later episodes.

Edit. Oh, and you probably shouldn't judge whether you will like the characters in Umineko based on the anime adaptation. I haven't watched it myself, but I heard it was incredibly rushed and completely messed up characterization for most of them. In my opinion, it's actually the characters that make Umineko so great.

Thanks so much for the info. I go in it with an open mind =). I do admit, the anime is bad. I watched it a long time ago and had no idea what was going on lol. But thanks again. Actually, do you also have some other recommendations for visual novels? I've finished a Yuri one about nursing and am looking for something calming. It can have mystery and fantasy to it though. 

43 minutes ago, aliciarune said:

Actually, do you also have some other recommendations for visual novels? I've finished a Yuri one about nursing and am looking for something calming. It can have mystery and fantasy to it though. 

Well, I can really say I played that many VNs I would describe as calming, but I'm currently reading Katahane, and so far I feel like it fits your requirements. The first arc is a rather lighthearted story set in a fantasy world about a group of friends traveling around their world and preparing for a theater play. On the other hand, I heard that the second arc is more dramatic, and this VN is classified as a nakige, so it is probably not the best recommendation.

Overall, I think, other people might give you better recommendations. I recommend starting a new thread in the "Recommendations" forum.

Edited by Dreamysyu

I recommend read Umineko first because it's finished, meanwhile Higurashi ch 7 isn't released yet (Mangagamer ver.) and ch 8 is in progress, maybe 2020? btw I'm talking about the 07th mod patch ^^ The translation itself is finished but for better experience read with the patches. Both series are very good in mystery and fantasy.

Edited by Black99

On 7/1/2019 at 2:07 AM, aliciarune said:

So yeah, a while back I brought both Higurahsi and Umeniko (home I'm spelling this right) visual novels games, but haven't had time to read them. Truth is, I saw the anime of both, the latter being horrible for me and Higurashi being okay. However I heard from people saying the visual novels are much better, though the problem with watching Higurashi is I know what's going to happen in the vn so I fear it may be boring. Also, I'm not a fan of the NVL writing style or the backgrounds very much in either of these visual novels. However, I am wondering, should I just suck it up and read them? Are they good? And if so, which series should I read first? 

I think they're both worth giving a try. If your main gripe is the game assets itself (from what I'm assuming via NVL writing style and backgrounds), there's a mod out there made by fans that transfers the PS3 assets to the Steam game to essentially port the PS3 game experience. It's by 07th mod, and they're really easy to look up. Just type 07th mod, and their homepage should come up.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:19 AM, Black99 said:

I recommend read Umineko first because it's finished, meanwhile Higurashi ch 7 isn't released yet (Mangagamer ver.) and ch 8 is in progress, maybe 2020? btw I'm talking about the 07th mod patch ^^ The translation itself is finished but for better experience read with the patches. Both series are very good in mystery and fantasy.

That's why I follow up this recommendation too. Holding off on reading both though until CH8 is out for Steam.

Edited by Kosakyun

Thanks everyone. I'll read one of them first. We'll see. But thanks so much Kosakyun for the info about the patch. I found it and it works. I don't know why they don't give us the option though of being able to have it on computer. Oh well. Thanks to those who took the time to do it

21 hours ago, aliciarune said:

Thanks everyone. I'll read one of them first. We'll see. But thanks so much Kosakyun for the info about the patch. I found it and it works. I don't know why they don't give us the option though of being able to have it on computer. Oh well. Thanks to those who took the time to do it

Mangagamer didnt have the rights to use the assets from ps3, so the patch is completely unnoficial. Howeeeeeeeeever, they have recently announced that they are releasing Umineko with full PS3 assets  + English narration and dubbing, so I really recommend yyou to wait a few more months, as this will probably be the definitive way to play Umineko.

As for my answer to the title, I'll just following everyone here by say that you should play it because the anime did't adapt it fully. While at least the anime version of Higurashi is still faithful to a degree (Even with they cut some parts), the same can't be said to Umineko because it only adapt the first part. So yeah go play the VN version, and have fun.

PS - For additional note here, in case you want to play Higurashi first you can wait until 18th later in that Mangagamer will release the 7th chapter (Minagoroshi).