Summer 2019 Anime Discussion

Plk_Lesiak

37 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

I mean, I would agree that it is a bit of a nitpick. If we get like this, basically 90% of all anime is just beyond ridiculous in its premise.

Yeah, except this one hits a little closer to home because it involves isolation. :( I probably am overreacting to it, though.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Just now, Kenshin_sama said:

Yeah, except this one hits a little closer to home because it involves isolation. :( I probably am overreacting to it, though.

Well, at the end of the day it's just an excuse to say "he didn't go crazy". Not particularly important, I'd say.

2 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Well, at the end of the day it's just an excuse to say "he didn't go crazy". Not particularly important, I'd say.

I'd be more inclined to believe he was already crazy, lol.

The author probably did it to set up for that foreshadowing scene where Senku comments on the timing of the stone wearing out. I don't think he'd be able to get that point across as easily if no one was actively aware of how many years went by.

22 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I'd be more inclined to believe he was already crazy, lol.

The author probably did it to set up for that foreshadowing scene where Senku comments on the timing of the stone wearing out. I don't think he'd be able to get that point across as easily if no one was actively aware of how many years went by.

Yeah, it's basically to show the audience that Senku is super duper smart.

On 12/07/2019 at 9:28 AM, Clephas said:

Maou-sama, Retry- My go-to show for this season... I laughed repeatedly for the first two episodes, and I love the VA and character design choices for Kunai and Aku.

I went and watched this based on this recommendation. I was... surprised? The impression you gave me was that it'd be quite funny, but it wasn't really that. It was more like it was consistently amusing, and the main character has immense potential to be interesting. I agree on the VA and character design, though.

Edit: The mum anime -- I was going to watch it due to how they did the eyes (I'm one of the few who prefers cartoon eyes to anime eyes), as they're a bit closer to cartoonish, but it turned out to have a few other interesting things. First, Satomi Arai voices a character, which can only mean greatness. Secondly, the mum does seem to have some mum characteristics, such as taking a bag (presumably full of stuff to take care of her child), not really understanding most of the terminology, and being devastated at the possibility of not being liked by her son.

It might be anime-related news that kept me depressed today, but I still didn't find a better way to take my mind off things than to watch shitty anime and God, Cheat Isekai Magician still delivers in that department hard. I don't really hate the characters as much as I did in the first episode, but I can't get over how shitty the animation is – I probably haven't seen such a stilted mess since Hand Shakers and while that series was a unique visual disaster, barf inducing in its screwed up perspective and cheap CGI, at least it was memorable. Cheat Isekai Magicial is both bad and extremely bland. A serious "stinker of the season" candidate.

Dr. Stone is fun and unique, but I'm not sure I see the brilliance that other people are describing? I'm very curious how it develops from this point, but I don't think it showed enough of its cards to be judged reasonably by this point. It might also be just slightly a bit too over the top for my tastes. People say about nitpicking, but it really makes very little sense, even by anime standards. It's the kind of show where suspension of disbelief can't really be sustained and you're mostly just appretiating the form rather than following a story (it might still evolve into something else though).

Other things I'm watching also need some time to develop I think, so there's no point commenting on them. I'm still enjoying Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fruits Basket, even though both shows are quite peculiar. At least I can't say they don't have personality. :meguface:

Sounan desu ka: Mildly amusing and enough to keep me watching

Arifureta: Really bad animation and what looks like a terrible adaptation. Just barely hanging in, will likely drop it in next week if it doesn't turn around

Astra lost in space: Intriguing enough with interesting characters. First episode was grand, but starting to feel slightly forced now

A certain scientific accelerator: One episode so far solid but not exactly gripping. At least the story isn't a complete clusterfuck the way index3 was.

Machikado Mazoku: Slightly amusing, enough to be a filler

Demon lord retry: Very amusing throughout. Animation took a real hit last episode but still very funny. I absolutely adore the new VA doing Aku too. She's adorable.

Do you love your Mom etc: Mildly amusing and harmless.

Dr Stone: Absurd premise but quite amusing and original.

Fire force: Gripping and interesting. A real keeper which is good since it's going to be a long one.

Hensuki: Reasonably amusing and ecchi. Can't complain.

Uchimusume: Sweet and cute, but hardly riveting. Good chicken soup anime.

Dungeon2: I love this series so much. 00 reminded me just how much. 1st episode was amusing and world setting again. I'm sure it will be riveting.

Magical senpai: Mildly amusing and ecchi. Also can't complain.

Araburu kisetsu no otome: Very amusing and well executed story about sex. A real winner

To the abandoned sacred beasts: Very interesting, good characters and premise.

Very good season with lots of fun stuff to watch. I watched all the other stuff and dropped it after <= 1 episode. The real stinker without a doubt is isekai cheat magician.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

That's long these days, isn't it? Most are one season only at 12...

Well, most "AAA shows" (so to speak) tend to directly run for 24 episodes. I mean the typical ones with the hype and backing so that you know they'll be a hit the moment an adaptation is announced. For a moment I thought it had been announced for an indefinite number, or smth like 36 episodes :pyaa: (although the 3rd episode has been delayed for obvious reasons).

As for the anime, I'm pretty much still following STPC here. Although I already 'grind' some manga though, so let me summarize few anime here that I know based on the manga.

1. Arifureta - I just want to see on how Kaori will joining Hajime's party, although it'll be a long time though. By the way the manga was quite slow on the update there.
  2. OP Mother - I guess it's good that we have female overpowered character instead of male, although the male MC is definitely distracting though (I think there'll be almost no change if they have female MC here).
  3. Uchi Musume - The daughter is really cute so most of the time it should be light hearted. I didn't like it though when suddenly there's an insane racist priestess bully the daughter (Granted the daughter is a demon and that the priestess have a Freudian Excuse (A cliche one), but still it's too cruel to the daughter).
  4. Machikado Mazoku - I'll watch it occasionally later, although I can't say much about it though seeing that the manga is only one chapter translated other than the curse is surprisingly very mundane.
  5. Sounan Desu Ka - Cute girls do cute things, except change 'cute things' with 'learn to survive on a deserted island'. Quite informative with the survival information, although some of Homare's actions are quite uncanny though (I just hope that I never in need to practice her survival tips in the future).
  6. Dr. Stone - The author did write Eyeshield 21, although we obviously wouldn't have American football though seeing that the cast was more interested to survive in the Earth that was turned back to the stone age because suddenly all of humans turned into stone, and that the MC is a genius who somehow find a cure for reversing the petrification and go around to rescue the people
  7. Cheat Magician - Even though the author did attempt to add female MC that was also stranded into the other world and being overpowered in order to balance it, I'm still think that the author will definitely find a way to make the male MC being the most overpowered character in the series even compared to his female MC companion. So yeah just expect this as regular male MC isekai.

I guess that's all for what I can say in regard of summer anime here. 

Edited by littleshogun

11 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Cheat Magician - Even though the author did attempt to add female MC that was also stranded into the other world and being overpowered in order to balance it, I'm still think that the author will definitely find a way to make the male MC being the most overpowered character in the series even compared to his female MC companion. So yeah just expect this as regular male MC isekai.

He doesn't need to "find a way", it was already stated in like the first or second episode that the protagonist is like 4-5 times stronger than any living human, while the girl in just in the upper limits of what greatest mages in the world can achieve. :D I think the actual value of this trick was introducing a love interest with a pre-established relationship with the protagonist and nullifying the need for harem. That's something I was really excited about, but the show itself is just incredibly bad. It's not even the story at this point, every episode amazes me more by how it manages to make the animation even cheaper than the previous one and doesn't care enough to try to hide it with some clever tricks. My absolute favourite is when the guildmaster says something: he's a dwarf with big beard covering his mouth, so his dialogue is presented with literal stills. Sometimes they remember to make his blink from time to time, but not always. And even the "best" moments looks like if they animated every 4th frame instead of every 2nd one. I've seen some cheap shit, but this is borderline unbelievable. :wahaha:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

33 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

In what sense?

I mean, it's not the story that makes the whole experience terrible – it's cliched and shallow, but honestly not as offensive as I've expected past the really shitty introduction in the first episode. Just your typical isekai/shounen trash with OP protagonist(s) and villains who have no idea what they're dealing with. I'm even starting to like the childhood friend as they toned down the deredere BS. It's just that much of a visual trainwreck that I can't watch it as anything more than a curiosity. And... I guess it's not even that interesting in its failures, just incredibly bland (those featureless secondary characters and monsters are a sight to behold) and clunky. More than anything I've seen before, but I don't think anyone without my unhealthy fascination with bad anime would care about it. ^^

Edit: One caveat, I haven't seen the new Berserk anime. It might actually be slightly more stilted than Cheat Isekai Magicial, but at least stills from it don't look as bad. :P

This talk of visual trainwrecks kind of makes me want to rewatch Hand Shakers. I don't think that one will ever lose the title of barfiest anime in history. :D

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 2 weeks later...

Very close to the Isekai Cheat Magician's crappiness, but on the exact opposite side of the spectrum when it goes to my personal enjoyment, I think I fell in love with Maou-sama Retry. No, I don't claim it's good. It's probably anything but. But my brain seems to not care about that in the slightest. I'll let my MAL review of it speak for me:

" I feel weird defending this show, because it's not good. More than that, by any reasonable definition it's pretty awful. It's basically an Overlord rip-off, playing on the same themes of an experienced player being sucked into a dying MMO, having to adapt to the new world and the ridiculous persona/gameworld elements he created for himself. It's animated and produced very cheaply, not being even close as colourless and pathetic as Isekai Cheat Magician, but still pretty damn bad.

On the other hand, it's extremely self-aware and genuinely hysterical with how purposefully dumb and juvenile it is. I think one thing people completely miss is the middle-school-level fantasy of the protagonist's persona and the things he encounters after being "isekai'ed" are not something the show is trying to sell as cool. Much of it is straight-up the protagonist's creation – a planet-size embarrassment that he now has to live through. An absurd, eclectic mess that can only make sense in a trashy video game, but is suddenly brought to life against all logic and reason. A burning trainwreck you just can't get your eyes off despite all your better instincts.

I'm not sure if this series will produce an actual plot or stakes. I'm not sure if I even want it to. It's absolutely glorious being completely stupid and pointless and I love it for it. Bring me more. *.* "

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, ittaku said:

If anybody else has been following the Fruits Basket reboot, that episode was the clincher. I've been waiting for that scene since seeing the original many years ago, but it still floored me. Damn I wept so hard.

Aye, that was pretty powerful. Also, it sets up pretty nicely what the second season will be about. I'm kind of excited for it, because the first one is kind of one giant piece of setup and character introduction.

Although, I'm kind of unsettled how Tohru was treated in that sequence... That girl is putting up with way too much and most of the time it feels more disturbing than admirable, even though the show tries to push very hard how her doormat attitudes are universally a good thing.

I guess they at least removed some of the misogynists tropes connected to Akito, but still, the show has some issues...

EDIT: I guess while I'm in this thread, damn, there are some stinkers in this season. Fire Force is slowly degrading into brain-dead mess of obnoxious harem tropes and nonsense shounen cliches. On the other hand, Kimetsu no Yaiba grew into something truly excellent. It took me a while, but I'm now super-invested in all these characters and the strange setting. It's pretty obvious it'll have a second season and I can't wait to see things escalate even more. Plus it's pretty fascinating how the show uses pretty realistic passage of time, I have a feeling like we'll see a decent part of Tanjirou's life before everything gets resolved...

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

EDIT: I guess while I'm in this thread, damn, there are some stinkers in this season. Fire Force is slowly degrading into brain-dead mess of obnoxious harem tropes and nonsense shounen cliches. On the other hand, Kimetsu no Yaiba grew into something truly excellent. It took me a while, but I'm now super-invested in all these characters and the strange setting. It's pretty obvious it'll have a second season and I can't wait to see things escalate even more. Plus it's pretty fascinating how the show uses pretty realistic passage of time, I have a feeling like we'll see a decent part of Tanjirou's life before everything gets resolved...

I agree. I started out thinking this would be a great season but so much has faded over time. Maou sama is boring now despite being initially hilarious, Two hit mama is lame arse mom love shit, Hensuki barely gets a smirk out of me, Katsutte kami desperately needed a much longer running and rushed AF, arifureta was appalling from the get go, but managed to get worse (long since dropped now), cop craft has serious production issues but is still kinda okay, uchinoko is soothing iyashikei but not much else, dumbbell forgot to actually be funny or ecchi, failing on both counts, fire force is as you said, joshikousei, sounan, and Tejina barely get a grin, and there was sooo much I dropped.

However, it's not all bad. Savage girls is really pleasing, astra and dr stone are both intriguing, accelerator is okayish, danmachi is good fun. Kimetsu no Yaiba really stood out as you said, and based on its pacing desperately needs about 3 more seasons if it's to fully explore all the characters, Tanjrou's evolution, and the downfall of the 12. My biggest disappointment is Mix though. I really expected magic from it like the original Touch anime it's a sequel to, or even better Cross Game (also by the same writer) but instead it's been pretty plain sports anime. Weirdest part of all I can't get my head around is the sound mixing (pun intended) in it. The sound effects are ten times louder than the voices, making it really distracting.

My overall favorites from this season, overall, were Maou-sama Retry, Uchimusume, and Lord El-Melloi Case Files.

Maou-sama Retry was just fun to watch with a funny setting and a great protagonist.  I enjoyed the gap between how Kunai was perceived and what he was actually thinking (it definitely channeled Dorei Majutsu and Overlord there), and Aku gave him a nice solid reason for taking action to better the world around him...

Uchimusume was the iyashikei anime that replaced Senko-san for me.  Latina being cute was enough to get me through the week, and I found myself channeling Dale all too often when I was watching it.

Lord El-Melloi manages to bring out the best parts of Nasu's complex universe in a way that has been lacking previously due to the narrow focus of the Fate and Tsukihime series.  Waver has just enough of an outsider's point of view on sorcerers to provide a midpoint between Gray's more innocent point of view and the average sorcerer, thus giving you a well-rounded idea of what sorcerers are like in the Nasuverse.  This was something that was lacking in other media in the series.

There were good points to a bunch of other anime, but no other series stood out to me as being worth rewatching repeatedly in the future.