LOLIS: Linked Organized Library Interconnection System

LINKED ORGANIZED LIBRARY INTERCONNECTION SYSTEM for Fuwanovel (aka LOLIS for Fuwanovel)

What is LOLIS for Fuwanovel? Well let me explain:

Only portion of the people visiting Fuwanovel website are then registering on the forums, why limit the guide only to them and not include all users of Fuwanovel website. LOLIS would allow common users of Fuwanovel website to see what VNs were liked by people who also liked the VN they just finished, as well as recommendations from the page of VN they liked.

How would it work? I imagine it like this:

You would use your Fuwanovel forum login (that would be necessary to prevent spam and misuse like in the case of the comment box).

And then:

1. you would be able to mark VNs you liked from those that have a listing on the website.

2. you would be able to create a 'link' between 2 VNs about which you would recommend if one was liked

3. you would be able to vote if you agree or disagree with 'link' created by another registered member

So what would it look like in the end? For example:

You come to a listing of Rewrite and you would see:

74 people like this game (show list)

35 people who liked this game also like Little Busters (show list)

12 people who liked this game also like Wanko to Kurasou (show list)

17 people (85%) (show list) would recommend Little Busters if you liked Rewrite, 3 people (15%) (show list) disagree.

12 people (75%) (show list) would recommend Hoshizora no Memoria if you liked Rewrite, 4 people (25%) (show list) disagree.

the names in the list would be clickable and just linked to a single page like lolis.fuwanovel.net/Steve where you could see likes with links (preferably with images) about what they liked on Fuwanovel, what recommendation links they created, what links they agree and disagree with and all that.

Why is this better than having someone create the links and recommendations? Well its simple:

More people will always produce more accurate result, if you leave it to only few people, they will select what they believe and that way people might miss on some VNs because of that.

I know it wouldn't be easy, but it would be in my eyes the most effective solution that would most likely vastly reduce the repetition of identical recommendation requests and only leave the unique, more personal topics.

Now I ask you, would you like to see LOLIS on Fuwanovel?

disclaimer: I have no power to actually make this system nor do I have any say in Fuwanovel website administration, this is just an idea I just had and think would be cool :)

Sounds like a great idea. Getting the thing actually work is just a lot of work, but it could really help out those who are looking for similiar VN. Also seperating the TL games and non TL and making a possible to mix those two or just to search for TL or just non TL.

God Steve i thought you were going to make a list of loli characters when i read that topic title (And i clicked it also thinking that..)

So the basic idea is kind of like a MAL for VNs actually I think it's  more similar to the extension MAL has which is http://mal.oko.im

I don't mind it i think it'd be nice for fuwanovel users to see what everyone else likes and what they recommend. There could even be like a top for the most liked Visual Novels so everyone can see the overall scores of all VNs.

I think the biggest challenge here is to compete with VNDB since they also have like tolls and all. The thing you're introducing is the recommendation asset which i appreciate a lot since VNDB doesn't have that and when i'm looking for a new VN i like to base it off of previous VNs i have played so i can find something i'll enjoy just as  much. If this can be added to Fuwanovel i don't think there's anything to lose.

I support the overall concept of this but I don't know how much effort that would take. If it happens i'd greatly appreciate it.

Can I set my profile in private when i like a certain visual novel?

I don't want my friends knowing i'd love some lolis ..lol

It is actually not a bad idea, there might be a checkbox that will change your username to Anonymous (or something) and make i unclickable in the list of people that voted so the vote is registered but people can't see you voted on it.

But I do not feel the need to do that, be proud to love them lolis and other VNs :)

So the basic idea is kind of like a MAL for VNs actually I think it's  more similar to the extension MAL has which is http://mal.oko.im

I actually never used MAL but the overall system is inspired by multiple websites such as anidb, imdb and some others.

I think the biggest challenge here is to compete with VNDB since they also have like tolls and all. The thing you're introducing is the recommendation asset which i appreciate a lot since VNDB doesn't have that and when i'm looking for a new VN i like to base it off of previous VNs i have played so i can find something i'll enjoy just as  much. If this can be added to Fuwanovel i don't think there's anything to lose.

Actually that is not the goal at all, as I mentioned in the very original post in the other topic, vndb has all the games, not limited to English only, where as fuwanovel has English games only, so it will be more friendly towards new VN readers.

If you click on what someone liked on vndb, you have to go through a list to find something that is actually in English.

And second thing is: vndb has rating and no recommended VNs if you liked certain one or count of what people who liked certain VN also liked, which makes it harder to actually find similar popular VNs.

Vndb on the other hand has much more extended database tools with tags and all that, making it easier to find specific genre ad specific tags, which is not really what LOLIS is about, it is about creating a social system to be able to find and see other peoples quick opinions (which is not what vndb allows that much).

So it would not be competition at all, people wanting an extended technical search would still have to use vndb while people more caring about other people and general popularity of English releases would be using this.

There is one slight problem though which would require solution, what to do with licensed games, since Aaeru does not want them on the main website.

But then again, maybe for this system we would exclude licensed games as it is more for beginners to VNs, who are most likely not going to pay for a VN, because they just started and might not be sure if hey like it that much or not. So offering only the games listed on fuwanovel (the free ones) would probably be best. Once they then visit the forum for extended recommendation, licensed games can be recommended to them with a link to buy or torrent.

That explains it better, I thought you were planning on including information about the novels and such but as a popularity based poll i think it's a much better and simpler idea. In that case i support it even more, it's a nice addition to Fuwanovel if it were to happen and would help new readers who ever come across it to know what's more appropriate for them.

I understand the concerns regarding licensed VNs and it's only natural for Aaeru to not allow them on Fuwanovel, i think a link to buy the Visual Novel or to a torrent would work fine for them, as well as a link on every novel redirecting it to the respective information on vndb if a user wants to know more about it.

as well as a link on every novel redirecting it to the respective information on vndb if a user wants to know more about it.

that is already there, there are links to EGS, VNDB, VNTLS, Walkthrough and Opening video, as well as additional information, quick troubleshooting info, translator info, link to torrent and even soundtrack for some VNs.

that is already there, there are links to EGS, VNDB, VNTLS, Walkthrough and Opening video, as well as additional information, quick troubleshooting info, translator info, link to torrent and even soundtrack for some VNs.

Well then i have nothing to add, i fully support LOLIS

(just out of line here, did you write the word lolis and attempt to make it an acronym on purpose? Just wondering.)

(just out of line here, did you write the word lolis and attempt to make it an acronym on purpose? Just wondering.)

But OF COURSE NOT, how could I do such a thing, I thought about the name and it just HAPPENED to turn into this acronym favicon.png

:ph34r:

ok, I might have spent like 10+ minutes trying to make it into that acronym but don't tell anyone~

:ph34r:

Kinda late on to this thread, but I'd like to offer "weak" support for this idea.

Why am I against giving full support? Because it'll be abused by some "trolls", as well as the fact that there's a similar system on VNDB that doesn't really work out well. Seriously, I know of some individuals who will just rate a game according to whatever score has the highest votes just to "increase the number of titles played" on their records. That's disgusting. 

My Thought: Ratings should only be given by those who can use logic and reasoning to justify and present their thoughts in an organized manner, which corresponds to the numerical value they assigned for the game that determines its overall quality. 

Simply put: Don't let idiots vote. (Yes, America. I actually refer to you when I say this)

Kinda late on to this thread, but I'd like to offer "weak" support for this idea.

Why am I against giving full support? Because it'll be abused by some "trolls", as well as the fact that there's a similar system on VNDB that doesn't really work out well. Seriously, I know of some individuals who will just rate a game according to whatever score has the highest votes just to "increase the number of titles played" on their records. That's disgusting. 

My Thought: Ratings should only be given by those who can use logic and reasoning to justify and present their thoughts in an organized manner, which corresponds to the numerical value they assigned for the game that determines its overall quality. 

Simply put: Don't let idiots vote. (Yes, America. I actually refer to you when I say this)

Let ignore the blunt, and very true, jab at my country for a minute.

The point of only allowing users to vote is to reduce the amount of trolls that can abuse the system, however that won't solve the problem. One idea that I can think of is to only allow users with so many posts to vote, lets say 75 for now. Of course there can be exceptions made for people that are well known and help the forums however they can. I doubt that someone who is only using the system to troll would take the time to get a high post count. Just my thoughts on this.

Let ignore the blunt, and very true, jab at my country for a minute.

The point of only allowing users to vote is to reduce the amount of trolls that can abuse the system, however that won't solve the problem. One idea that I can think of is to only allow users with so many posts to vote, lets say 75 for now. Of course there can be exceptions made for people that are well known and help the forums however they can. I doubt that someone who is only using the system to troll would take the time to get a high post count. Just my thoughts on this.

That  would create an hierarchy of sorts. I don't know if that's a good idea.

That said, it's not like I have a better idea now.  I'm thinking on something, I'll edit this post when I have it written down.

EDIT:  Ok, here what I was thinking. Honestly, I trust most of the users here. I don't think someone with only 10 posts shouldn't be able to take part on this. However, it is undeniable that trolls may appear. That's why I thought of before recommending a VN, you should write a reason on why it's an outstanding VN that should be read.  I do realize that the members who read a high amount of VNs may suffer with this, since recommending a lot of VNs will be tough but I still think it's a good solution.

I also think it would be better for the ones browsing through LOLIS- giving concrete reasons on to why a VN is good will probably make people more willing to play it. I remember that I only played Cross Channel because of a comment on to why it was a good VN, and I'm grateful for whoever wrote that, otherwise I wouldn't have played that masterpiece.

Also, this is only a suggestion, but if someone writes a trollish reason, any of the members who take part on LOLIS could create something like a short pool (or maybe just decide with the other members, or talk to a moderator) and decide on to whether that reason is valid and whether that post should or shouldn't be on LOLIS. Of course, we'd have someone to carefully watch it over and look at those decisions (I'd suggest myself for that role, but I don't think I have this much trust, so it'd be better if it was someone from the moderating team, if any of them can do it.)

Just a suggestion though. I don't know if it'd actually work out.

Edited by Kaguya

Using that logic you'd be the first to be denied, I don't care about your oh-so-educated opinion if all you do is bash other people's opinions at any given opportunity - that's all I see you do.

That  would create an hierarchy of sorts. I don't know if that's a good idea.

That said, it's not like I have a better idea now.  I'm thinking on something, I'll edit this post when I have it written down.

I see how it can be seen as a hierarchy , but the way I'm seeing it, it's more of a way to ensure trusted users are the ones that are able to vote to ensure the amount of trolls are at the minimum. That's also why I would recommend a fairly low limit, even the 75 I had at first seemed kinda high for its purpose.

I see how it can be seen as a hierarchy , but the way I'm seeing it, it's more of a way to ensure trusted users are the ones that are able to vote to ensure the amount of trolls are at the minimum. That's also why I would recommend a fairly low limit, even the 75 I had at first seemed kinda high for its purpose.

I have to agree with Stanleys on this.

Firstly because it would simplify the whole process, users who are genuinely interested in fuwanovel will contribute to the forums and therefore should be allowed to contribute to the site's poll, though i think 75 is too high, I think just 50 is more than fine, we would see said user's activity and see he/she is genuinely contributing to the site through their posts.

Secondly if there were some system where you had to write a comment about why you are recommending said novel it would create such a massive flow of comments, it's like we're trying to spam fuwanovel staff and admins on purpose, I think it'd be overly complicated to verify each and every comment, unless some changes are made to this method i don't think it's the most liable

Unless staff and admins are willing to check each and every single recommendation i don't think it's liable, if however there's a different method to check recommendations then i support it. For a personal idea i'd say the recommendation should be put up in a toll for other fuwanovel users with said post count to vote if they agree or not, if a certain number agree then the recommendation passes, if not then it doesn't, at least this would distribute the amount of effort one would have to put to check every single recomendation through the whole fuwanovel community (I'm assuming we're not all lazy here and want to contribute.).