how many spanish speakers are in the forums?

xion

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2013 at 5:54 PM, cryofrzd said:

Hablo un poco español porque he estudiado español durante seis años. Pero porque no he utilizado español desde hace unos años, entiendo más que lo que puedo expresar.

That's more or less me, except that since it's been some 12 years now since I last studied Spanish, so I can't even write it for shit anymore, let alone speak it. So I'm not even going to try and risk butchering the language. I used to be able to write passably, and my reading comprehension is still pretty good, though...

Sadly, I've noticed that Japanese vocabulary has replaced a lot of Spanish vocabulary in my brain over the last couple years. If I reach for a Spanish word, I'll often come up with Japanese instead and then have to think about it for a moment before I figure out why it sounds horribly wrong.

Also, I can sympathize with Nay - I think a lot of the reason I can still handle reading Spanish (and can passably read other Romance languages that I've never studied) is because of taking a year of Latin. But because of that conglomerated view, I'm pretty sure if I tried to speak Spanish now, I'd come out sounding like Salvatore from The Name of the Rose.

Edit: holy shit I just noticed this is a really old thread that got necroed. I was wondering why some people who I haven't seen in a long time were coming out of the woodwork :amane: