The fastest you've ever dropped a VN?

Dreamysyu

Just now, Happiness+ said:

Air. I dropped it after five minutes.

The reasoning being is that I wasn't sure if I would like it over the anime.

I read it after watching the anime, and I enjoyed it more or less. Didn't really add that many new things compared to the anime, but the arc set in the past (forgot its name) is imo more enjoyable when it's written.

I literally dropped like 3 VNs in total (my complitionist compulsions don't let me do that much), but the fastest one would be a Yuri Game Jam VN SpeedDemonz. In theory it sounded like something I could enjoy, but in reality it was so dull and visually unappealing I gave up after like 8 minutes of reading. If there was something witty or interesting further down the line, I guess we'll never truly know... 

I have three VNs which I dropped rather quickly (5 minutes or less had passed when I dropped them). Two were dropped because they didn't engage me and hooked me. They seemed generic and boring. The last one was dropped because I actively disliked it:

• Glasses Girl - Tried it out, it started by throwing childhood friend cliches and the like at me. Stopped for the moment. Which turned out to be a very long moment.
  • Sounds of Her Love - Tried it out, it was kind of boring, stopped, never returned.
  • I/O - Seemed like a terrible pretentious mess. The narration in its initial segment annoyed me. Just gave up.

Girlfriend (Kari) Kimi to Sugosu Natsuyasumi dropped it after probably like 5 min. A few years ago I was importing lots of VNs for the vita and focused on VNs which were based on anime. Among them I also picked out Girlfriend (Kari) Kimi to Sugosu Natsuyasumi which was the only one I bought that was from an anime I had never watched and still haven't and probably never will. At the time I was pretty new to VNs and it looked like a pretty standard dating VN which I hadn't had much experience with at the time and figured why not. Now I have of course read a lot more VNs have have read things like Princess Evangile which I think does a really good job at what I wanted from Girlfriend (Kari) Kimi to Sugosu Natsuyasumi and so my expectations for that type of VN is a bit higher. When I recently checked its amazon review it seemed to not really be that great and the anime it is based on doesn't really have that good of a rating on MAL so I figured it would be pretty bad. Then when I tried it at first it seems to just throw you stright into dating events which I though would be good, however the characters were clearly not well developed (I didn't really expect much though). Then as I read I found out that the main character has no lines at all and the female characters just react as if you said something to them. This I thought would be okay since everything would be voice acted in that case which would make it easier for me to read it since it is in japanese. Then once the short introduction was over the voice acting stopped, there was mouth movement animation and the backlog seemed to indicate voice acting, but after skipping to multiple events and turning the voice volume to max and resetting it and things like that it seems like the parts just weren't voice acted. For some reason the VN also didn't allow for screenshots and I usually take screenshots from VNs and put them into folders on my PC which was pretty much the main thing I wanted from this VN since I had low expectations but at least the art looked good. So ye dropped it, removed it from the rest of my physical VN collection and I might just throw it in the garbage.

Edited by bakauchuujin

Forum was way more active back in 2014 :P, Guess a lot of them are inactive now but hey atleast people still come to discuss new releases:mare:

As for your question, the latest two titles I've dropped quickly are Hello Goodbye because of the utterly idiotic way the MC gave up his identity (might go back to it later) and also not a fan of the art. Also Trinoline which felt like a really empty game because no one else exists in that world except the MC and a few girls, felt like the game had no budget or something.

The fastest I ever dropped was Mugen Yasoukyoku I think. Was one of the free ones listed on The Asenheim Project and tbh the art was pretty nice (I have a bit of a thing for that mid-90s manga style) but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu the repetition made me kinda wanna die.

And then it got mega weird.

I typically don't give up on vns too often, most of the time I just kinda stop reading but it's usually with the intention of picking it back up later on (whether or not I actually do is it's own thing)

If I decide to play a vn I typically try and play for a few hours to see if I like it

It took me quite a few hours to drop Hatsukoi 1/1 because I thought some of the girls were decent(especially Maya and Kyou)

Alack and alas the protag was a spinless, pathetic, cockslap and he brought the whole vn down with his mere presence

(Also, the whole cafeteria plot thread was by itself stupid and shallow)

6 hours ago, SkraalQ said:

https://vndb.org/v136 Heart de Roommate

I've no comments really, just play it if you feel like wanting to die :mare:

I completed it, I liked it, and I'm still alive :P

5 hours ago, kokoro said:

Figure of Happiness, I think?

The art was so bad I dropped it instantly.

It looks so bad, that I haven't even started it - especially since summary also didn't seem engaging.

For some reason this art looks to me much worse than early Key art.

The only one I dropped wasn't pure VN, but weird early 90's hybrid, Cobra Mission. I became bored with it after second boss.

Edited by adamstan

some of those vns that also made masochist detective. remember these vns came out like no more than a few years ago but their quality were so bad from the menus, the cgs, the text that i just couldnt read any of them for a long period of time. no clue why mangagamer got the rights to them. dumb nukiges i can understand but these were just horrible to look at in every way.

There's plenty of stuff I dropped before even starting when I saw tags I didn't like or got halfway through the synopsis and realised it was clearly not for me, but the one that I did start playing and stopped within about a minute was Casual Romance Club which had this horrible multi window interface to a dating sim and was the first (and hopefully last) game where the Japanese VAs also voiced their lines optionally in Engrish so bad it was facedeskworthy.  I think the Engrish was more of a turn off than the interface even though you could leave it in Japanese. I didn't even remember this but looking at the screenshot below it looks like all the names were localised into oblivion as well.

113.jpg

16 minutes ago, ittaku said:

There's plenty of stuff I dropped before even starting when I saw tags I didn't like or got halfway through the synopsis and realised it was clearly not for me, but the one that I did start playing and stopped within about a minute was Casual Romance Club which had this horrible multi window interface to a dating sim and was the first (and hopefully last) game where the Japanese VAs also voiced their lines optionally in Engrish so bad it was facedeskworthy.  I think the Engrish was more of a turn off than the interface even though you could leave it in Japanese. I didn't even remember this but looking at the screenshot below it looks like all the names were localised into oblivion as well.

Yikes

The VN I dropped the quickest was an NTR game by Material called Boku Igai no Otoko o Shiranai Kanojo.  It wouldn't work in Windows 8/10 and they never bothered to patch it (even though Windows 8 released the same month).  I also dropped Kimi ga Nozomu Eien fairly quickly due to the constant crashing.

I imagine that technical issues are the leading cause of games being dropped within the first hour.

Edited by sanahtlig