Would you say the Steins;Gate VN is better than the Anime?

Speeny

I recently watched the Steins;Gate Anime & enjoyed it thoroughly. But, as a Visual Novel & being the original source material I think it'd be even better. 

For those who have experienced both...what's your take? 

Edited by Speeny

Uhm... I think the anime was a very good adaptation. I think it's not a matter of being 'better' or 'worse'. Obviously you can't squeeze as much information in an anime as you can in a VN, so if you are a Steins;Gate fan I definitely recommend you to read the VN to broaden your knowledge of the S;G metaverse. Unless VNs really are not your thing, then maybe not.

I only played about first two hours of the original game, but it seemed t be handling things slightly better than the anime. It's a lot more detailed. Also, from what I heard from other people, the anime completely skipped some pretty important arc later in the story and a lot of other small stuff important for characterization and the world building, but I can't confirmed it myself.

On the other hand, I also tried reading the VN right after finishing the anime, but I couldn't really force myself spending another 50+ hours on the story I already knew (even though I liked it, though probably less than you did). It's been almost six years since then, I still haven't read it. So, consider that.

The VN does a lot more worldbuilding, especially when it comes to the "science" and otaku culture. The anime cuts out a big chunk of Faris' and Ruka's respective arcs but has the better soundtrack imo (adding character themes and having higher production value). The VN is the more complete experience (and I'd definitely recommend reading it at some point) but not so much that I'd say you're missing out big time if you've only watched the anime.

The first one, well, the anime is ok, but the novel is better.

The second one... steins gate 0... the VN is years better than that anime.... that anime make me sick.

2 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

I haven't watched the anime, but I know they've cut some stuff from the story in it. If you want the complete experience, you should really read the VN.

not only "some" things, about steins gate, they cut some explanations about the machine and other things that make the story special. But in general, the anime was a good if you compare with the VN.

But if we talk about steins gate 0... jesus, no. that thing should be in the hell. They cut the story, cut explanation, destroy the context of the best scenes from the VN and make them like "oh, so that is was happen? nice!" "oh look that"...

To be clear, i played the VN, both of them.

Steins gate is good, you can play the game or take the anime, both choices is ok, but if you want more context and explanation, go for the game.

Steins gate 0 is a masterpiece (better than steins gate in my opinion) and im really sure when im saying that the anime is a big shit. Cut story, cut the context, cut scenes, take the routes of the game and put them like a lineal puzzle without context and destroy the best scenes of the game, scenes that make you say "oh jesus WTF" "epic moment" if you see them in the game, but in the anime is like... "oh ok"

(Speaking about one of that scenes, and trying to avoid spoilers, that scene is called "re-awake" and is divided in 2 parts in the game. Well, they only animated one part of that scene and even when they do that, they change the characters in the scene and destroy the epic moment. And the other part of the scene... well, they just delete that part, who in my opinion, is the best part of the  game)

Edited by Cardinal

Pros of the VN:

• Has the 2-day time loop arc and Nae's future identity which were not featured in the anime (the former was only briefly shown in Deja vu)
  • Has other routes other than the True Route adapted in the anime, offering new perspectives

Cons of the VN:

• A lot of info-dumping and slice-of-life events (these were toned down in the anime)
  • The turning point doesn't take place until much later

Edited by wei123

Well that depends on you.

Steins;gate suffers of the same malice 99% of VN's do: pointless filler sol content. You'll go through hours and hours of pointless conversation that you've seen virtually unchanged in the past 300 VN's you've played.

If you are new-ish to VN's though, go for the VN, I guess, for the reasons the others have given.

5 hours ago, SkraalQ said:

If you are new-ish to VN's though, go for the VN, I guess, for the reasons the others have given.

The only VN I've put time into is Kanon. But I think I'll give Steins;Gate a go next.