Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zxdvas

Reading VN is masochistic

Recommended Posts

There are only three types of VN, great VN with engaging plot, boring VN that put you to sleep and VN that disturb you.
You rode through a great journey, then you realise you have nothing in real life. The emptiness overwhelms you.
You endured the VN for the sake of finishing it, feeling you have wasted your time and should have done something else.
You are so disturbed you deleted the VN. Since you have already paid for it, it is still your own loss.

In all cases, the reader suffer. I have observed that people frequently deliberately and consciously do something that is against their own interest. This can only be explained by a latent desire to be punished, a thing I know well. I have long realised I am incapable of bringing much joy to anyone, and as such does not deserve to be happy. This is the punishment that is due to me. A sin that cannot be absolved through religion, science and humanity. VN is one of the last thing I can enjoy in life. Through this masochistic experience I can repent my sin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, zxdvas said:

You are so disturbed you deleted the VN. Since you have already paid for it, it is still your own loss.

Imagine deleting games and not just keeping them there just in case you want to ever open it again.

In any case, your three scenarios aren't just limited to just VNs because they're not the only storytelling media people consume. A great majority of the population must be masochistic if these types of experiences make VN readers so. Even more since the kind of experiences that embody the three aren't confined to storytelling forms.

I think you need more than this thread about innate masochism to deal with your thoughts about yourself and your life though. Best regards.

13 minutes ago, kokoro said:

What about vns that get you horny?

I think that fits the definition of 'engaging plot'. :makina:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KosakiFag said:

Imagine deleting games and not just keeping them there just in case you want to ever open it again.

In any case, your three scenarios aren't just limited to just VNs because they're not the only storytelling media people consume. A great majority of the population must be masochistic if these types of experiences make VN readers so. Even more since the kind of experiences that embody the three aren't confined to storytelling forms.

I think you need more than this thread about innate masochism to deal with your thoughts about yourself and your life though. Best regards.

I think that fits the definition of 'engaging plot'. :makina:

Amen, my brother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, zxdvas said:

You rode through a great journey, then you realise you have nothing in real life. The emptiness overwhelms you.

You rode through a great journey. The emotional high stays with you throughout the day, and maybe the next, slowly phasing out. Sometimes you think back to just how good it was and reminisce in fond memories. You start another visual novel. You hope it'll be as good as the last.

.

You read an unpolished gem. You found some interesting parts, narrative patterns, or thoughts in the novel that you enjoyed. While parts of it may have dragged or been unpolished, there's a certain charm to it all. You want to shill it to all your friends so they can enjoy it too, and start to think about whom it would be good to recommend it to. You look up other works by the author...

.

You read something you ultimately didn't find amazing, but think will be interesting to discuss with people. You don't feel like you wasted your time, exactly; maybe you used it suboptimally, but how could you know? You know more about the medium and can draw more parallels with other works when talking to other people deeply into the medium.

.

You read something pretty garbage. You find solidarity with other people in talking about just what makes it such trash. It lets you see how storycraft can go wrong, and improves your pattern recognition to help you avoid something so disappointing again. You know the medium better, have better picking skills, and have something new to meme about.

.

You read a Fuwanovel forum post by a fifteen year old trying but failing to sound profound, and cringe. You contemplate suicide, but eventually decide that it is not worth it, even though something tells you you have just contracted a painful form of malignant cancer. You write a forum post in reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are only three types of post, good post with lot of thought, stupid post that make you want to commit die and post that disturb you.
You rode through a great argument, then you realise you have no brain cell to process. The emptiness overwhelms you.
You endured the post for the sake of making your point, feeling you have wasted your time and should have done something else.
You are so disturbed you closed window. Since you have already seen it, it is still your own loss.

In all cases, the reader suffer. I have observed that people frequently deliberately and consciously do something that is against their own interest. This can only be explained by a latent desire to be punished, a thing I know well. I have long realised I am incapable of bringing much joy to anyone, and as such does not deserve to be happy. This is the punishment that is due to me. A sin that cannot be absolved through religion, science and humanity. Fuwanovel is one of the last thing I can enjoy in life. Through this masochistic experience I can repent my sin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yep. And that's a pretty strange way for this forum to come back to life. :vanilla:

Is it life though? It feels more like that last rush of activity before finally dropping dead. We only need Tay to once more come back promising site update and disappearing without a trace after 15 minutes to complete the cycle, then we can all move on to the afterlife. :nico:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Moved to The Coliseum of Chatter, for... obvious reasons. Have fun.

There are 2 types of moderation.

Those who try to engage with the users and try to make the community a better place and tell users clearly what is bad, and those who just punish yoi for everything and don't tell what was wrong.

Edited by Kiriririri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kiriririri said:

There are 2 types of moderation.

Those who try to engage with the users and try to make the community a better place and tell users clearly what is bad, and those who just punish yoi for everything and don't tell what was wrong.

Sorry, I meant don't have fun. I forgot we don't allow that here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought reading vn with suffering is sadistic.
This forum seem more active than Nekonyan and seem more well behave compare to other forum. Sometimes, I have to be careful about wording or edit it out due to people being very sensitive about what could be considered rude.

Edited by ztrepzilius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ztrepzilius said:

I thought reading vn with suffering is sadistic.
This forum seem more active than Nekonyan and generally seem rather well behave than other forum. Sometimes, I have to be careful about wording or edit it out due to people being very sensitive about it.

Does that mean we are prudes? :pyaa: Well, I can't really argue with that...

Leaving aside the main topic, which I really don't know what to say about... I am indeed a masochist when it comes to stories. All my favorite stories are sad stories, for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Leaving aside the main topic, which I really don't know what to say about... I am indeed a masochist when it comes to stories. All my favorite stories are sad stories, for some reason. 

Yeah, that always surprised me how much we like stories that make us feel negative emotions. I am (or used to be, I'm not sure myself) a big fan of Key, and that's what got me into VNs in the first place, even though experiencing some of their works made me feel completely broken for weeks, but I definitely don't enjoy it when rl events bring me to a similar state...

Actually, I feel like I started to slightly gravitate toward more light-hearted stories as I grew older. Don't know, maybe in 10 years I will only be able to consume moege and comedic isekais.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, that always surprised me how much we like stories that make us feel negative emotions. I am (or used to be, I'm not sure myself) a big fan of Key, and that's what got me into VNs in the first place, even though experiencing some of their works made me feel completely broken for weeks, but I definitely don't enjoy it when rl events bring me to a similar state...

Actually, I feel like I started to slightly gravitate toward more light-hearted stories as I grew older. Don't know, maybe in 10 years I will only be able to consume moege and comedic isekais.

Well, I kinda have a theory of why that might be the case. As a matter of fact, crying releases stress hormones and produces endorphins... it makes us feel good. We tend to regard crying as something negative because it's usually asociated with pain, either physical or emotional. However, when you are able to cry your heart out without any real problem causing it, doesn't it suddenly become something positive and a sort of emotional healing tool?

Then leaving that aside and going into more subjective grounds... Sad stories feel 'more real' for me. Why is a story sad? What makes it sad? I'd say that it's the fact that it contains heavy struggles for the characters that, in spite of their best efforts, not always have a satisfying conclusion for all parts involved. It doesn't get realer than that. Feeling for the characters makes them also feel more human, thus perceiving them as better characters, and by virtue of that, a better story.

Not that I don't also appreciate some light-hearted stuff now and then as well, of course, but when I think about it, it doesn't really come as a surprise to me that sad stories are the ones that left a bigger impact in me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://i.postimg.cc/sXJvKQ6n/Capturedgfdfffff.jpg

Yep, sure, you are being punished. The punishment is that you have to keep making fucking stupid and weird threads like this till the day you die. I hope you are happy with this resolution.

 

Edited by Ranzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×