Help regarding .noa archives

So I've been trying to do a localization for Yosuga No Sora (VN), and the archive type this game uses is .noa.

My main goal right now is to edit the image files inside (which are .eri files), repack the files into a noa archive and get it to work.

I've found out about noa32 and attempted to unpack->repack the noa files with it, but once I create a new archive and replace the original file,

the game doesn't read any of the data inside the archive (ex: When I make a new noa archive with image data, the parts where it's supposed to show those images just turn up blank)

I've even tried to simply unpack the archive then repack it without modifying anything, but the same problem occurs. The only hint I have as of now

is that the newly created noa archive(with no modification of content) is 10mbs smaller than the original (265mb -> 255mb), so I can only assume that something

goes missing in the process of unpacking or repacking. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm seriously at a complete loss for what to do at this point.

Ps: I'm currently doing this under japanese locale settings, and my operating system is windows 10.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:06 AM, uyjulian said:

Trying to unpack/repack EntisGLS engine file format or ERI image file format? Try GARbro.

There are various tools and plugins available for ERI image format at the official ERI website: http://www.entis.jp/eri/

EntisGLS can be found here: http://www.entis.jp/gls/

Tried GARbro as well, but unfortunately the program doesn't support noa archive creation :P

Here's the documentation of noa32c/noa32w:

NOAアーカイバ

NOAアーカイバ

書式

noa32c[/nologo] {/p|/x|/c} [/r]

[/pass <password>] [/gp] [/l <list-file>] [/d]

[/raw] [/erisa] [/crypt] [/erisa_crypt] [/time]

[<source-file>] <destination>

noa32w[{<noa-file>|<list-file>}]

オプション

/nologo見出しを表示します。

/pアーカイブ化します。

/xアーカイブを展開します。

/cアーカイブの内容を比較します。

/r自動的に圧縮を無効化しません。

/pass暗号化する際、又は暗号化を復号する際のパスワードを指定します。

/gpアーカイブ化の際、自動的にパスワードを生成します。生成されたパスワードはリストファイルへの出力で確認出来ます。

/lリストファイルを指定します。

アーカイブ化する際には、リストファイルに従ってアーカイブ化します。

/dサブディレクトリもアーカイブ化します。

/raw無圧縮でアーカイブ化します。

/erisa圧縮してアーカイブ化します。

/crypt暗号化してアーカイブ化します。

/erisa_crypt圧縮と暗号化してアーカイブ化します。

/time圧縮・展開に要した時間を計測します。

source-fileアーカイブ化する場合、ソースファイルを指定します。この時、ワイルドカードを使用出来ます。

展開する場合にはアーカイブファイルを指定します。

destination出力するアーカイブファイル名、又は展開したファイルを展開するディレクトリを指定します。

解説

NOA書庫ファイルを作成、展開します。

noa32c.exeはCLIで、noa32w.exeはGUI版です。

7 hours ago, uyjulian said:

Here's the documentation of noa32c/noa32w:

Oh, never new that other version had all those additional options to it. What I'm assuming as the issue right now is that 

my GUI version of noa32 is compressing files during archive creation by default, but there's no option to disable that particular function.

I think the / raw option might be what I'm looking for, only I'm not entirely sure as to how it works out in the CLI version of the program

Edit: I'm trying to run noa32c using cmd, but every time I attempt to /start noa32c.exe a blank prompt appears for a split second before opting out.

Im a complete rookie when it comes to CLI types, does anyone have some pointers?

Edited by Mutank

4 hours ago, Mutank said:

Oh, never new that other version had all those additional options to it. What I'm assuming as the issue right now is that 

my GUI version of noa32 is compressing files during archive creation by default, but there's no option to disable that particular function.

I think the / raw option might be what I'm looking for, only I'm not entirely sure as to how it works out in the CLI version of the program

Edit: I'm trying to run noa32c using cmd, but every time I attempt to /start noa32c.exe a blank prompt appears for a split second before opting out.

Im a complete rookie when it comes to CLI types, does anyone have some pointers?

Did you open a cmd window (Press the key combination: Windows-R, type in "cmd", then hit the enter key)?

Did you change directory to one containing noa32c.exe (command: "cd C:¥path¥to¥directory¥"), then run noa32c.exe in the correct directory (command: ".¥noa32c.exe <arguments>")? (Tip: You can drag and drop files and folders from Windows Explorer to the console window to automatically type in the path in the console window)

On 6/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, uyjulian said:

Did you open a cmd window (Press the key combination: Windows-R, type in "cmd", then hit the enter key)?

Did you change directory to one containing noa32c.exe (command: "cd C:¥path¥to¥directory¥"), then run noa32c.exe in the correct directory (command: ".¥noa32c.exe <arguments>")? (Tip: You can drag and drop files and folders from Windows Explorer to the console window to automatically type in the path in the console window)

Oh, I was under the impression that the .¥noa32c.exe would run a separate prompt for noa32. Seems like that wasn't the case tho.  
Since I'm repacking an archive I guess the options I need are / p and / raw  ?

If you don't mind, could you give me a example of what the <arguments> input would look like?

15 hours ago, Mutank said:

Oh, I was under the impression that the .¥noa32c.exe would run a separate prompt for noa32. Seems like that wasn't the case tho.  
Since I'm repacking an archive I guess the options I need are / p and / raw  ?

If you don't mind, could you give me a example of what the <arguments> input would look like?

.¥noa32c.exe /p /d /raw C:¥path¥to¥input¥file¥or¥directory C:¥path¥to¥archive¥file.noa

Alternatively, if you have a list file formatted like the following:

file1.dat
	file2.dat
	file3.dat
	dir1/file1.dat
	dir2/file1.dat

you can also do .¥noa32c.exe /p /d /raw /l C:¥path¥to¥list¥file.txt C:¥path¥to¥archive¥file.noa

By the way, paths can be formatted as absolute (S:¥uch¥as¥this) or relative to the current directory (.¥like¥this).

19 hours ago, uyjulian said:

.¥noa32c.exe /p /d /raw C:¥path¥to¥input¥file¥or¥directory C:¥path¥to¥archive¥file.noa

Alternatively, if you have a list file formatted like the following:

you can also do .¥noa32c.exe /p /d /raw /l C:¥path¥to¥list¥file.txt C:¥path¥to¥archive¥file.noa

By the way, paths can be formatted as absolute (S:¥uch¥as¥this) or relative to the current directory (.¥like¥this).

I've been having a go at it for a few hours, but though I do get the indication that the exe was triggered in some way (a brief flash of a prompt box)

Nothing else is happening or created as a result.

The directories for the  original source archive // noa32c // source files(to be packed) // output destination are 

E: \ yosuga no sora \ original \ data 1. noa // E: \ yosuga no sora \ noa 32 // E: \ yosuga no sora \ edit // e: \ yosuga no sora \ data 1. noa reflectively.

The attempted commands are

. \ noa32c / p / d / raw / I E: \ yosuga no sora \ data1.nal E: \ yosuga no sora \ data1.noa (compression)

. ¥ Noa32c / XE: ¥ Yosuga No Sora ¥ Original ¥ Data1.Noa E: ¥ Yosuga No Sora (Decompression)

PS: I also tried it with a file list (created via dir /b>print.txt) but in this case I got a message reading 

"could not open print.txt" 

Edited by Mutank

33 minutes ago, Mutank said:

I think that comes from when I copypasted, here's an image of what I'm actually writing

https://ibb.co/HBqwXjH 

Also, when I try extracting it says the file couldn't be opened, wonder if it has anything to do with this.

As I said, try getting rid of the spaces in the directory name ("yosuga no sora" -> "yosuga_no_sora"). You can also quote the arguments like so: .¥noa32.exe /p /d /raw "E:¥yosuga no sora¥edit" "E:¥yosuga no sora¥data1.noa"

Don't forget to put a space between the arguments (like .¥noa32.exe and /p )

Okay, I changed the file name of the directory itself to 'yosuga' for safe measure, and used quotations for the directories to kill all spaces possible.

my command now looks like : .\noa32c.exe /p /d /raw "E:\yosuga\edit""E:\yosuga\data1.noa"

However, I'm seeing a message Telling me the "input file name wasn't specified" ....?

btw, if I try the file-list type command, it instead gives me a "output file name wasn't specified"

Edited by Mutank

7 hours ago, Mutank said:

Okay, I changed the file name of the directory itself to 'yosuga' for safe measure, and used quotations for the directories to kill all spaces possible.

my command now looks like : .\noa32c.exe /p /d /raw "E:\yosuga\edit""E:\yosuga\data1.noa"

However, I'm seeing a message Telling me the "input file name wasn't specified" ....?

btw, if I try the file-list type command, it instead gives me a "output file name wasn't specified"

Put a space between the arguments "E:\yosuga\edit" and "E:\yosuga\data1.noa"

40 minutes ago, uyjulian said:

Put a space between the arguments "E:\yosuga\edit" and "E:\yosuga\data1.noa"

Good news, the commands are working and making uncompressed noa archives. Thanks so much for your help!

Bad news, the files still don't register in-game, It can't read the images inside the archive.

the completed noa file is now (in theory) identical to the original in terms of size and content, no idea why they still aren't compatible.

Right now I'm trying to attempt a complete recompressing from eri file level and see if it works.

12 hours ago, Mutank said:

Good news, the commands are working and making uncompressed noa archives. Thanks so much for your help!

Bad news, the files still don't register in-game, It can't read the images inside the archive.

the completed noa file is now (in theory) identical to the original in terms of size and content, no idea why they still aren't compatible.

Right now I'm trying to attempt a complete recompressing from eri file level and see if it works.

Check the file extensions. If they are hidden, show them.

9 hours ago, uyjulian said:

Check the file extensions. If they are hidden, show them.

The file extensions both before and after compressing seem to be the same eri format,  I checked inside the created archive as well.

What I did find however was that the compression also compresses the folder in which the images were held, in this case the 'original' folder.

So instead of the eri files being directly inside the archive, there's now a subdirectory \originals\(files) inside the noa. 

On 6/23/2019 at 8:48 PM, Mutank said:

The file extensions both before and after compressing seem to be the same eri format,  I checked inside the created archive as well.

What I did find however was that the compression also compresses the folder in which the images were held, in this case the 'original' folder.

So instead of the eri files being directly inside the archive, there's now a subdirectory \originals\(files) inside the noa. 

Try putting the ERI image files on the root level and specifying them on the command line (instead of "E:¥yosuga¥edit", try placing image files in the same directory as noa32c.exe and specifying "image1.eri" "image2.eri")

Tip: you can copy and paste using RIGHT CLICK (CTRL-C and CTRL-V do not work)

List file method may also work.

5 hours ago, uyjulian said:

Try putting the ERI image files on the root level and specifying them on the command line (instead of "E:¥yosuga¥edit", try placing image files in the same directory as noa32c.exe and specifying "image1.eri" "image2.eri")

Tip: you can copy and paste using RIGHT CLICK (CTRL-C and CTRL-V do not work)

List file method may also work.

The contents of the archive amounts to 449 eri files,  so I'm trying the 'list file' method instead.

What keeps happening though is that the archiver compresses the list text file itself, instead of reading it. 

the commands I've attempted is .\noa32c.exe /p /d /raw /l "E:\yosuga\print.txt" "E:\yosuga\data1.noa"

and .\noa32c.exe /p /d /raw "/l E:\yosuga\print.txt" "E:\yosuga\data1.noa".

currently the eri files are in the same directory as the noa32c.exe, and the list file looks like this:

IC9eVAY.png

7 hours ago, Mutank said:

The contents of the archive amounts to 449 eri files,  so I'm trying the 'list file' method instead.

What keeps happening though is that the archiver compresses the list text file itself, instead of reading it. 

the commands I've attempted is .\noa32c.exe /p /d /raw /l "E:\yosuga\print.txt" "E:\yosuga\data1.noa"

and .\noa32c.exe /p /d /raw "/l E:\yosuga\print.txt" "E:\yosuga\data1.noa".

currently the eri files are in the same directory as the noa32c.exe, and the list file looks like this:

IC9eVAY.png

Try using wildcards

.¥noa32c.exe /p /d /raw *.eri out.noa

39 minutes ago, uyjulian said:

Try using wildcards

.¥noa32c.exe /p /d /raw *.eri out.noa

It... it works! Without that extra directory, the file finally works with the game!

I can't thank you enough for all the help you've given me.. These obscure archive extensions have been giving me so many headaches, and I'm a complete novice at this stuff; there's no doubt that I'd have given up completely on this whole project if it hadn't been for your assistance throughout this thread.

Now at long last, I can get a move on with my localization. If I ever get to finish my project through all the other stuff going on, I'll definitely remember to include a special thanks to you ;)

1 hour ago, Mutank said:

It... it works! Without that extra directory, the file finally works with the game!

I can't thank you enough for all the help you've given me.. These obscure archive extensions have been giving me so many headaches, and I'm a complete novice at this stuff; there's no doubt that I'd have given up completely on this whole project if it hadn't been for your assistance throughout this thread.

Now at long last, I can get a move on with my localization. If I ever get to finish my project through all the other stuff going on, I'll definitely remember to include a special thanks to you ;)

No problem.