Jump to content
Freestyle80

AoKana Physical Kickstarter, Release Date and Other Updates

Recommended Posts

Kickstarter for the phyiscal edition will be starting soon and seems they plan to release it digitally around 8.30.2019 based on what they saying.

They are behind on Hello Lady so thats been pushed back to a Autumn release(Late Q3). Other projects seem be to on schedule.

Seems they'll be releasing a title every month or so from end of August if they make the deadlines :Chocola:. There's even an unannounced Project scheduled for December (FanDisk of something?) 

Also good to see that Sankaku Renai sold well so far, I quite liked it so hope they pick up some more titles from Asa Project

Edited by Freestyle80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

That being the case, we have decided that we won't be announcing titles that early anymore and are instead going to hold off on announcements until games are roughly 50% completed.
Sadly, that means that you will have to wait until around December for the next batch of announcements. Trust us, we can't wait to announce more of our titles and share the hype with you all as some of those are really "big", but we truly believe this is simply the better way to handle it all around.

On one hand, they are certainly right. On the other... I wanna know what are those "big" games :wafuu:

Though I doubt that this scheme would work with companies like MG, JAST or Sekai since they likely don't know what schedule is to begin with. With all due respect and love to everyone involved.

Edited by novurdim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping Hikari Field will help keep these guys in line and prevent another overly liberal Americanized translation/localization. I've avoided all of their VNs so far because of this crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Codesterz said:

I'm hoping Hikari Field will help keep these guys in line and prevent another overly liberal Americanized translation/localization. I've avoided all of their VNs so far because of this crap.

1. As poster above said, Hikari Field is just doing the Chinese translation

2. Your loss if you don't read any of their translated VNs :makina:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thelink1123 said:

1. As poster above said, Hikari Field is just doing the Chinese translation

2. Your loss if you don't read any of their translated VNs :makina:

That doesn't mean they won't have any influence on the English translations. Unlikely yeah, but not impossible. I'm sure there will be at least a few Chinese people who will want to read the English translations to improve their English. Keeping the translations more accurate would be beneficial to Hikari Field for this reason.

It's also their loss since they aren't getting money from me. Sooner or later I'll get to reading some of them with machine translations since they are more accurate than NekoNyan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Codesterz said:

That doesn't mean they won't have any influence on the English translations. Unlikely yeah, but not impossible. I'm sure there will be at least a few Chinese people who will want to read the English translations to improve their English. Keeping the translations more accurate would be beneficial to Hikari Field for this reason.

It's also their loss since they aren't getting money from me. Sooner or later I'll get to reading some of them with machine translations since they are more accurate than NekoNyan.

Your right.. MTL rulz.. you should stick to it going forward..no other TL compares to MTL..you know what take a Look at this

https://store.steampowered.com/app/943980/The_logic_of_the_miniature_garden/

Thats as perfect as you can get TL wise.. NN cant even match them..I would recommend buying their VNs if NN TL is not to your liking..i mean if according to you MTL > NN then obviously SakuraGame > MTL

 

Edited by Wildbreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there's always alternative for anyone else who didn't want to read Aokana with Nekonyan's translation, namely that you can just read it in Japan (The better solution compared to read it in MTL for sure). In any case, translation is almost always subjective matter and I prefer if we didn't delve into it too much.

As for the KS, well it's one of the fastest Kickstarter to be funded because we already have it funded n less than an hour (Presumably). The low base goal here is help a lot, although I didn't expect that they only ask for around 10,000 euro (I expect at least they would ask for 20,000). In any case congratulation for the Kickstarter's success to Nekonyan and hopefully we can see this released at this year, although I'm quite worry though for Steam version seeing that Steam did goes berserk again for banned Amrilato because of the bath scene (Amrilato itself is all age GL VN with Esperanto learning feature). No much comment for other Nekonyan's announcements other than I'll look forward for them to fulfill their promise.

Edited by littleshogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw I hear all this about NN having poor translations, though from the examples I have seen it mainly seem to be nitpicks and people complaining about meme VNs having memes. Then there are things like swearing, which while not common in Japan I would say to some degree very informal speech would be pretty much equivalent to. I have not read any of their titles yet as I wait for physical releases and hope they end up doing way more physicals but I would assume the TL problem is quite overblown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Btw I hear all this about NN having poor translations, though from the examples I have seen it mainly seem to be nitpicks and people complaining about meme VNs having memes. Then there are things like swearing, which while not common in Japan I would say to some degree very informal speech would be pretty much equivalent to. I have not read any of their titles yet as I wait for physical releases and hope they end up doing way more physicals but I would assume the TL problem is quite overblown.

One of the main problems I have is a lot of the times it doesn't accurately represent the characters personality. In Fureraba there is red haired chick that's supposed to be a classic tsundere, but all the swearing in her dialogue turns her into an American bitch. I'm pretty sure most of us that read VNs are weebs and we actually enjoy the Japanese anime trope character archetypes. Localization companies seem so hell bent on removing those aspects of a character and changing the characters into an American archetype that is similar. I know I sure as hell don't want that. I want a translation that keeps as much of the Japanese anime culture present as possible while still having sentences that flow well. A lot of the times I see people try defend the overly liberal translations by saying 'native English people don't talk like that'. The fuck do I care about how actual English people speak. I want to see how the Japanese anime character speaks, but in English.

Edited by Codesterz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Then there are things like swearing, which while not common in Japan I would say to some degree very informal speech would be pretty much equivalent to.

No it wouldn't, injecting boorish westerm vulgarities into a non-vulgar speech is not an equivalent of referring to someone informally.

Example:

"O-omae!" (informal, somewhat disrepectful way of referring to someone by saying "You".)

Murrican libral translation:

"YOU asshole, I'll fuck your shit up bastard!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Btw I hear all this about NN having poor translations, though from the examples I have seen it mainly seem to be nitpicks and people complaining about meme VNs having memes. Then there are things like swearing, which while not common in Japan I would say to some degree very informal speech would be pretty much equivalent to. I have not read any of their titles yet as I wait for physical releases and hope they end up doing way more physicals but I would assume the TL problem is quite overblown.

It probably varies widely between the VNs as usual and the issue is highly, erm, generalised. Very different people translate them after all. I've only read HGB (fully) and Sanoba Witch (a few hours) from them and, well, I wouldn't say that HGB is any worse than MG's or Sekai's usual level in that regard...? While the VN itself is mostly disappointing, translation has turned out fine enough, at least in my opinion. Sanoba's seemed considerably worse from what I remember but I wouldn't say that westernization is its main problem. Honestly, I've seen people have extreme problems only with Fureraba and that one does look liberal as heck but I doubt it's a rule of a thumb for NekoNyan.

Edited by novurdim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 9:07 PM, Codesterz said:

One of the main problems I have is a lot of the times it doesn't accurately represent the characters personality. In Fureraba there is red haired chick that's supposed to be a classic tsundere, but all the swearing in her dialogue turns her into an American bitch. I'm pretty sure most of us that read VNs are weebs and we actually enjoy the Japanese anime trope character archetypes. Localization companies seem so hell bent on removing those aspects of a character and changing the characters into an American archetype that is similar. I know I sure as hell don't want that. I want a translation that keeps as much of the Japanese anime culture present as possible while still having sentences that flow well. A lot of the times I see people try defend the overly liberal translations by saying 'native English people don't talk like that'. The fuck do I care about how actual English people speak. I want to see how the Japanese anime character speaks, but in English.

Localization as per gala-global: "Localization is the process of adapting a product or content to a specific locale or market."

The entire point of a localization company is to make it fit into the American themes prevalent today. Or at least make the story fit the American market..

Bringing up the point of Yuzuyu not being tsundere enough and more of a bitch is kind of counter-productive. Why do I say that? Her entire character is made to be mad at everything that embarrasses her but to also make it be literal hell for the person who embarrassed/upset her. She's the overly sensitive tsundere-type. Overly sensitive as in she takes a lot of things to heart, based on her route at least. It wasn't overly American since she reminded me of a thugdere at some points. Though like others have said...MTL rulz. Might as well read Fureraba and decipher the 50 different choices in MTL :wahaha:

Edited by thelink1123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thelink1123 said:

The entire point of a localization company is to make it fit into the American themes prevalent today.

No, the point of the game localization company is to translate it into the target language in a way that preserves the author's original ideas and intent the most while considering the particularities of said language. There are all sorts of localization industries with their own rules so we shouldn't mix them up with the extremely broad definitions. The idea of making something "fit into the american themes prevalent today" honestly horrifies me and provokes nightmarish flashbacks from the days of yore when official anime releases were messed up beyond recognition and the legendary 4kids did their legendary stuff. :wahaha:

Not to mention, that americans are not even close to the sole target of such localizations, its target audience is the whole english-speaking world.

Edited by novurdim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thelink1123 said:

The entire point of a localization company is to make it fit into the American themes prevalent today. Or at least make the story fit the American market.

Yeah, no this is complete nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kokoro said:

TBH, the swearing and memes are funny. Leagues better than dry Japanese writing.

When you get older and the memes become old and unfunni(er) what will be left is a truly shitty translation. Dry (as you say) translations are timeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

When you get older and the memes become old and unfunni(er) what will be left is a truly shitty translation. Dry (as you say) translations are timeless.

Will you still read school moege when you are 40 yo and older?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×