AoKana Physical Kickstarter, Release Date and Other Updates

Freestyle80

43 minutes ago, kokoro said:

Will you still read school moege when you are 40 yo and older?

Well, I'm 35 now, and I just started recently :P (reading school moeges and watching HS romcom anime ;))

And, isn't @ittaku way past 40 and still doing this? ;) (I think he mentioned his age in some post)

Edited by adamstan

8 hours ago, novurdim said:

No, the point of the game localization company is to translate it into the target language in a way that preserves the author's original ideas and intent the most while considering the particularities of said language. There are all sorts of localization industries with their own rules so we shouldn't mix them up with the extremely broad definitions. The idea of making something "fit into the american themes prevalent today" honestly horrifies me and provokes nightmarish flashbacks from the days of yore when official anime releases were messed up beyond recognition and the legendary 4kids did their legendary stuff. :wahaha:

Not to mention, that americans are not even close to the sole target of such localizations, its target audience is the whole english-speaking world.

8 hours ago, Nier said:

Yeah, no this is complete nonsense.

unknown.png

Is it not correct? The actual Association of Localization, their definition is incorrect? Alright :leecher:

Did I mention 4kids? I never said censor it to hell, but most Americans/English speaking people are accustomed to a lot more swearing then the "IIE!!/NO!! or いいえ!!, or the legendary ばか/BAKA!!" that the Japanese find harsh. 

So in this case for Fureraba, NN did just that by making the "harsh no's" be swearing and other bitchiness in an attempt to be funny and to appeal to the English market with a more English translation. Here in the US, I hear the word "fool" used almost on a daily basis, and it lacks any hint of true contempt for somebody. Would it really be appealing to have Yuzuyu telling MC he's a "fool/idiot/dummy" every time she gets embarrassed and the like? Not to me at least. 

Honestly, if you want it exactly the way the "author intended it to be read", maybe reading it in Japanese might be your forte? :nokia:

Edited by thelink1123

7 hours ago, kokoro said:

Will you still read school moege when you are 40 yo and older?

You do understand that timeless means that it's good even 10+ years in the future? If its filled with current memes and other nosense then people won't understand it later. Well, i've always said you'd have to be stupid as a brick to edit stuff like that in.

6 hours ago, adamstan said:

Well, I'm 35 now, and I just started recently :P (reading school moeges and watching HS romcom anime ;))

And, isn't @ittaku way past 40 and still doing this? ;) (I think he mentioned his age in some post)

49 and even translating moege professionally. Most have burnt out long ago, but I'm still going strong. I started playing them 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, thelink1123 said:

Did I mention 4kids? I never said censor it to hell

Well... yes?
According to your previous comment and this pic you said:

1) Adapt the graphics and modify the content to suit the tastes of the people of the other culture.

2) Change the game contents to "make it fit into the American themes prevalent today".

That's basically what 4kids were doing... right? Right? You don't just talk about translation and speech adaptation, as I have mentioned, you have found the broadest definition of localization available and mindlessly applied it to the niche industry with quite specific customers and demands. To start with GALA is not even necessarily about creative works of fiction, it's mostly about services which are two extremely different things... 

I don't think I'm crazy but when I combine modifying the content, adapting the graphics and fitting in the american themes I basically get censorship and 4kids. Apollo and his burgers. If you, erm, got what you are advocating for, you would be the first to be upset. Fureraba is very far from what you are depicting, it only has a somewhat westernised style of dialogue. And according to you, that's not what localization is at all.

And I'm not here for cheap jabs, if you ask pretty much any translator, they'd say that preserving the author's original ideas and intent is the most important thing of all, the only discourse is about being literal or more liberal about the wording during the translation. You are basically saying this yourself: "Here in the US, I hear the word "fool" used almost on a daily basis, and it lacks any hint of true contempt for somebody". So it wouldn't hold the same effect intended by the author hence they made her "rougher" to better reflect that idea. This is exactly what a more liberal attempt at preserving the original ideas and an intended impact on the reader is. Some agree with this approach, some advocate for a more literal translation but this is a different debate altogether. 

Edited by novurdim

1 hour ago, novurdim said:

Well... yes?
According to your previous comment and this pic you said:

1) Adapt the graphics and modify the content to suit the tastes of the people of the other culture.

2) Change the game contents to "make it fit into the American themes prevalent today".

That's basically what 4kids were doing... right? Right? You don't just talk about translation and speech adaptation, as I have mentioned, you have found the broadest definition of localization available and mindlessly applied it to the niche industry with quite specific customers and demands. To start with GALA is not even necessarily about creative works of fiction, it's mostly about services which are two extremely different things... 

I don't think I'm crazy but when I combine modifying the content, adapting the graphics and fitting in the american themes I basically get censorship and 4kids. Apollo and his burgers. If you, erm, got what you are advocating for, you would be the first to be upset. Fureraba is very far from what you are depicting, it only has a somewhat westernised style of dialogue. And according to you, that's not what localization is at all.

And I'm not here for cheap jabs, if you ask pretty much any translator, they'd say that preserving the author's original ideas and intent is the most important thing of all, the only discourse is about being literal or more liberal about the wording during the translation. You are basically saying this yourself: "Here in the US, I hear the word "fool" used almost on a daily basis, and it lacks any hint of true contempt for somebody". So it wouldn't hold the same effect intended by the author hence they made her "rougher" to better reflect that idea. This is exactly what a more liberal attempt at preserving the original ideas and an intended impact on the reader is. Some agree with this approach, some advocate for a more literal translation but this is a different debate altogether. 

K

• 2 weeks later...

Another update from the KS after Aokana Extra1 announcement, and this time they reveal the 80,000 euro stretch goal is Nintendo Switch port. However the biggest update to me here is in regard on how Nekonyan will add additional feature to the VN itself, and one of those is Music Gallery, which is very big deal more than it sounds seeing that the original didn't have that gallery. Other nice feature to add including Sprite Gallery (Quite a pun there), Voiced Line Bookmark, and ability to skip chapter. For now, I hope that they'll manage to reach 80,000 euro and I'll keep my eyes on this again.

PS - Here's the link to the most recent update that talk about Switch port and additional feature.

Edited by littleshogun

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 1:18 AM, Stormwolf said:

You do understand that timeless means that it's good even 10+ years in the future? If its filled with current memes and other nosense then people won't understand it later. Well, i've always said you'd have to be stupid as a brick to edit stuff like that in.

I still remeber the horrible Bill Clinton jokes in Eve Burst error. That game is full of them, nothing more out op place than that crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but currently Nekonyan already sent the Backerkit according to their tweet below.

https://twitter.com/NekoNyanSoft/status/1161706325543477249

I don't know much about Backerkit here, but at least I understand that more or less it' a tool to get the adress for the backer or something like that. The period for Backerkit is a month, so perhaps we may September's end as the new release period estimation (Obviously the sooner the better).