Do any of you use a spreadsheet or something similar to keep track of you list?

Red_Rain77

Do you use a spreadsheet  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a spreadsheet

• Yes
    • No

Hey guys, for the past couple of years, I've been using VNDB to keep track of what I've read but recently I've created a spreadsheet for everything I read, watch & play and now I'm wondering if anyone has done anything similar.

For Visual Novels I have two different sheets that I use (all contained in one master sheet), one contains games that I've read and the other that I plan to read.

The sheet for games that I've read contains the following cells:

Title | Routes Completed | Status | Rating | Date Started | Date Last Played | Time Invested | Notes

I use date last played instead of date finished just in case I don't finish the game.

And the sheet for ones that I plan to read contains these cells:

Title | Planned Release | Quick Search

The quick search cell contains an auto-generated link based on the first cell that searches my favourite torrent site for the title.

The sheet originally took me a while to set up but now that it finished it only takes me seconds to update it with new games as I play them.

So what about you guy/girls? do any of you a spreadsheet or something similar to keep track of what your reading?

Edited by Red_Rain77

Nah, VNDB and MAL are enough for me. Especially when I read so much small stuff, it'd be pain in the ass to track it individually.

On the other hand, I sometimes get paranoid that the archive will go down and I'll lose all my data, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it (I don't think there's away to export it conveniently?). :P

I just started one to track my games in general so I can see what my backlog looks like. I think the columns are Title, Started?, Finished?, Score, Platform, and Note. I have the sheet set to change the fill color of any cell containing the words “Yes” or “No” to green or red respectively so in the started/finished columns I can easily see what games I’ve finished because those games will have a double-length green bar in their row.

The list doesn’t actually contain many VNs, only those few that I have on Steam. Mostly because if I ever want to share the sheet I don’t want it to have a bunch of NSFW games listed. I may make a separate sheet for VNs.

I have a spreadsheet that I use for tracking completed games, which started back in 2016 because my missus was ribbing me about not finishing games... And I just kept tracking it.

I throw in completed visual novels on that as well, since I consider them a form of gaming anyway.

Recently, I did add another sheet or two to track visual novels with an official English release, mostly pinching from the very helpful thread about it on here. I put down whether they have an English release, or if a translation is in the works. Whether it is 18+ or all ages, and if it is both, which is the original version if applicable. Oh, and finally I put which store it is available on. I tend to go for AA versions on Steam and grab 18+ versions from Mangagamer or wherever since I never know if Steam will throw the ban hammer at it or not... :huh:

I tried to start something like this, even separated visual novels in english, visual novels in japanese, japanese games, western games, books, manga...it didn't last long. I just sort of forgot about it, but overall it's kind of a pain to track everything I do. VNDB is enough for me as I can just simply add a note saying, for example "Read in Japanese. 6 hours. 1 route (twins)".

Likewise, I'm working on adding notes for the games on my "want to play" list. Dividing it into groups such as "Cute art", "Like the writer", "Friend X's rec", etc.

Though I'd be interested in knowing what program you use for tracking time played. I use WhatPulse but it's kinda old, and if I turn off my computer in a way it doesn't like, the database will crash. What I like about it is that it distinguises time spent with the application open and actual active time.

Edited by Ramaladni

5 hours ago, Ramaladni said:

Though I'd be interested in knowing what program you use for tracking time played.

I use Manic Time, it's a really great program. I have it set up so that whenever I finish a session I can tag it with what route it was.

I have it set up not to monitor anything after two minutes of inactivity

(it'll then remove the two minutes)

Don't feel like I need a spreadsheet for VNs, vndb does a good enough job in my opinion. For anime I think myanimelist also does a good enough job, though I have made a list of anime that I want blu-rays of with info about whether or not it has gotten an english blu-ray release or not and if it is available in region B or if it is available in region A in which case I also see whether or not they are region B compatible.